The 2 types of head coaches

The way I see these head coaching searches i see two different types of candidates

1. The Innovative Genius coach: either offense or defensive minded that runs a great scheme but is not necessarily a great recruiter. Think Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin on offense.
on defense think Bud Foster great aggressive defense minded coach, innovative, but never though of as HC material.

2. The Ace Recruiter coach: not a great gameday coach, doesn't bring anything innovative on his own but he can land all the 4 and 5 stars in the galaxy. Think Butch Davis, Mario Cristobal, etc.

If your school sits in a talent deficit area then winning with 3 star recruits will require HC #1

But If you believe that SoFla has the most concentration of recruits in the country and will continue to produce then #2 is your guy.

If the admin eventually does hire Cristobal then they are sending out a signal that UM is not trying to beat other schools, they are just going to outrecruit and outtalent everyone. I have no problem with that approach as it worked in the late 90s.
Remember, Butch wasn't a great gameday coach either but he was an ace recruiter.
This is not particularly accurate. The best coaches #1 attritbute is to hire proper assistants. Diaz has shown he was terrible at this. Look at all the HCs Butch had on his staff. Thats great coaches trait. They all know football in some capacity. Being a leader and delegating is what puts the greats up there. Putting in processes, demanding accountability from everyone top to bottom. 1 person cannot coach 85-100 young men by himself.

Advertisement
There is no proof beside a couple of nostalgic Canes fans.

He was probably the best at finding underrated guys and developing them into stars.

But Larry Coker has better recruiting classes than Butch.
man-what.gif
side-eye-boy.gif

There is no proof beside a couple of nostalgic Canes fans.

He was probably the best at finding underrated guys and developing them into stars.

But Larry Coker has better recruiting classes than Butch.
Did you just go full ****** and say that Coker had better recruiting classes than Butch?? @Brooklyndee I think I've heard it all now.....

now do a breakdown of champions over the last 20 years and let us know which bucket the winners and **** even the runner ups fall into?

H
He's without question the best ever....his 96-2000 classes prove that...along with his 25 1st rounders and 4 HOFers....show me ONE recruiter who can match that...and if you want to get nitpicky...he closed on all the Elite recruits from 84-88 for JJ....

Lmao you must do searches for his name every 2-3 minutes

Advertisement
The biggest gripe I have is we have not developed talent. Who has the better track record of developing talent (Lane or Mario)?

Advertisement
All I want for Christmas is a coach who can coach the kids up, and manage games on game day Like a coach.

Bill OBrien Train!!

You want experience?

NFL HC Experience 4 Division Titles
College HC Experience
NFL OC Experience
College OC Experience
NFL QB Coach Experience
College QB Coach Experience
NFL Connections
College connections
TE Coach
RB Coach
WR Coach

Dude couldn't get along with grown NFL players who are millionaires. His in your face style is much better suited for college. He's probably the best pure football coach available

Advertisement
I hate that there is a seedy “Mario will be good enough to win games but not good enough to win it all” sentiment when speaking of Mario. That’s so so false. First we need to thank the good folks in Cincinnati for making the inevitable expansion of the CFB playoff a reality after this season. When they don’t get in after beating ND and running the table, expansion is only a foregone conclusion. Thank the committee for doing their best impression of the BCS ranking system this season for that too. With that being said Mario recruiting against Saban in SFL will chip away at Saban’s strangle hold on SFL talent and any other out of town coach as well. Mario can very well put a 10+ Miami team on the field on a yearly basis and with the playoff expanded, you think we don’t get in? Whatever “deficiencies” Mario has with X’s and O’s give him the recruits, staff, the facilities, the strong backing, the transfer portal AND the NIL with the allure of playing in beautiful M.I.A. for a national brand plus an expanded CFB playoff? I like our chances of winning another championship with him at the helm within the next decade. IJS.🤷🏿‍♂️

Georgia is very good every year, because they spend the money for coaches and get near the best recruiting class every year. Now The U is spending money on coaches and has an ace recruiter as a HC. If Mario pulls off a top 20 class THIS year, look out. And....i must chuckle....and if they can find a way to build another Orange Bowl for the U near campus? Where am I?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back