The 2 types of head coaches

citizenkane

Redshirt Freshman
The way I see these head coaching searches i see two different types of candidates

1. The Innovative Genius coach: either offense or defensive minded that runs a great scheme but is not necessarily a great recruiter. Think Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin on offense.
on defense think Bud Foster great aggressive defense minded coach, innovative, but never though of as HC material.

2. The Ace Recruiter coach: not a great gameday coach, doesn't bring anything innovative on his own but he can land all the 4 and 5 stars in the galaxy. Think Butch Davis, Mario Cristobal, etc.

If your school sits in a talent deficit area then winning with 3 star recruits will require HC #1

But If you believe that SoFla has the most concentration of recruits in the country and will continue to produce then #2 is your guy.

If the admin eventually does hire Cristobal then they are sending out a signal that UM is not trying to beat other schools, they are just going to outrecruit and outtalent everyone. I have no problem with that approach as it worked in the late 90s.
Remember, Butch wasn't a great gameday coach either but he was an ace recruiter.

Advertisement
The way I see these head coaching searches i see two different types of candidates

1. The Innovative Genius coach: either offense or defensive minded that runs a great scheme but is not necessarily a great recruiter. Think Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin on offense.
on defense think Bud Foster great aggressive defense minded coach, innovative, but never though of as HC material.

2. The Ace Recruiter coach: not a great gameday coach, doesn't bring anything innovative on his own but he can land all the 4 and 5 stars in the galaxy. Think Butch Davis, Mario Cristobal, etc.

If your school sits in a talent deficit area then winning with 3 star recruits will require HC #1

But If you believe that SoFla has the most concentration of recruits in the country and will continue to produce then #2 is your guy.

If the admin eventually does hire Cristobal then they are sending out a signal that UM is not trying to beat other schools, they are just going to outrecruit and outtalent everyone. I have no problem with that approach as it worked in the late 90s.
Remember, Butch wasn't a great gameday coach either but he was an ace recruiter.
Pretty strict lines drawn there. If you have money to spend on assistance which Mario will no doubt require he will hire a top notch staff. How do you think Dabo has been so successful? He’s paying his DC like 2m and his OC making easily 1M. I’ll take Mario’s recruiting skills over Dabo too.

17 years proves three things about this concept: 1) We are no good at it; 2) This isn't the 1990s anymore; and 3) The best recruits want to go to a winning program to get a shot at playing for a title

Advertisement

Today you need both. These kids know if you need them to win or not. If you start winning without recruits in Miami, the big names will start signing. The talent discrepancy no longer exists like it did 20 years ago. The kids see bowl wins and division wins, and they go.

There was an article about this a while back, I don't remember where I saw it. Breaks down coaching into two types:

1. Culture change coaches
2. Schematic Guru Coaches

History seems to suggest UM does slightly better with schematic guru coaches but we can win with either.

Schnelly was a culture coach.
Johnson and Erickson were schematic gurus
Butch was a culture coach
Coker was a dunce but I guess I'd put him more in the scheme category since he was the OC.

Yea, you have losers and winners. Ones that succumb to the internal BS and those that don’t give a ***** about it. That’s the difference.

Manolo wanted to appease everyone and lost site of what was ultimately driving his success. His actual leadership, coaching and development.

Bull****z walks all the time..

Advertisement

Well the schools with the best talent usually are the best teams lol

I do believe someone like Mario would adapt and change his philosophy regarding the type of offense he would run. Saban has adapted and look at that machine. Also look at the film these last couple of games minus the famous inside zone play, you see a high powered offense. The offense will only get better as TVD is running it. Give him an offensive line coach and watch out.

Sometimes, the ace recruiter doesn't exactly know how to take advantage of the talent he's acquired.

For me, this is why I have Lane as 1a) and Mario as 1b). I'd be happy with both, but Lane can scheme his way into a win, while Mario isn't that type of coach. I watched Ole Miss v aTm and I saw Ole Miss schematically work aTm D, which has tons of talent. This is where Lane has the advantage to me, as he WILL take advantage of the type of athletes we have in SFLA.

Advertisement
so in all of college football history when you think ace recruiter…. Butch Davis is the only name you could think of?
He's without question the best ever....his 96-2000 classes prove that...along with his 25 1st rounders and 4 HOFers....show me ONE recruiter who can match that...and if you want to get nitpicky...he closed on all the Elite recruits from 84-88 for JJ....

He's without question the best ever....his 96-2000 classes prove that...along with his 25 1st rounders and 4 HOFers....show me ONE recruiter who can match that...and if you want to get nitpicky...he closed on all the Elite recruits from 84-88 for JJ....

Find one non-canes fam who thinks Butch Davis is the best recruiter ever I’ll wait.

Advertisement
Yea, you have losers and winners. Ones that succumb to the internal BS and those that don’t give a ***** about it. That’s the difference.

Manolo wanted to appease everyone and lost site of what was ultimately driving his success. His actual leadership, coaching and development.

Bull****z walks all the time..
He lost his dominant DL, that’s what did him in.

Advertisement
Back