The ‘Miami’ Rule

N.M.B. Cane

The U part 3
Premium
Petition:

I don’t mean to speak on behalf of anyone here., however in my humble opinion...

NCAA rule 9-2 needs to be reversed immediately.

A lot has changed since Randal Hill shot up the Alamo after that 50 yard touchdown when we blew out Texas in the cotton bowl. There is no way those Texans are still *****ing about it after 31 years. So many things have changed since then and to be honest, the rule comes off as completely condescending as well and unnecessarily restrictive. These players are making people billions of dollars and they can’t do a victory dance to celebrate?? Cmon that has to be considered just a bit draconian at this point no? It without a doubt made the games more fun to watch. Is there anyway we could start a petition to have NCAA rule 9-2 repealed?
college football celebration GIF

Advertisement
Nothing like what we used to do....
Yeah, what happened before the Miami rule was obviously not what it was today, but I was referencing like the last 5-15 years.

When Jaelan stopped that sweep play on 4th down vs Duke and everyone started dancing on the field, I thought for sure we will get penalized for that and Duke gets a first down. I was surprised they didnt call it.

And before anyone asks me, I ******* hate the rule.

The rule seems to be reserved for when a player or team goes overboard with the celebration. It’s not enforced nearly as much as it used to be. I think a lot of the the old “act like you’ve done it before” crowd is finally dying out. I grew up on 80’s Miami football. I though that celebrating is what you were SUPPOSED to do after big plays

Advertisement
I thought the Miami rule was that NCAA regulations that do not apply to much of the Big 12, Big Ten, Notre Dame and almost all the SEC are enforced to the strictest letter of the law against the Miami Hurricanes.

Advertisement
Petition:

I don’t mean to speak on behalf of anyone here., however in my humble opinion...

NCAA rule 9-2 needs to be reversed immediately.

A lot has changed since Randal Hill shot up the Alamo after that 50 yard touchdown when we blew out Texas in the cotton bowl. There is no way those Texans are still *****ing about it after 31 years. So many things have changed since then and to be honest, the rule comes off as completely condescending as well and unnecessarily restrictive. These players are making people billions of dollars and they can’t do a victory dance to celebrate?? Cmon that has to be considered just a bit draconian at this point no? It without a doubt made the games more fun to watch. Is there anyway we could start a petition to have NCAA rule 9-2 repealed?
college football celebration GIF

I've had to drive through Texas numerous times - it's right in the way between Florida and Nevada.

With a vinyl "U" on the tailgate of my white Tacoma - I still get dirty looks - horns blowing - multiple enthusiastic demonstrations that their Social Finger still works, and once while pulled over on an interstate exchange - one truck acted like he was going to run my *** over.

Those damned Texans got a memory like an Elephant . . . and no love for the Hurricanes. You'd have thought we went through Texas like Sherman went through Georgia.

Come to think of it - that DAY - I guess we did . . .

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree. With the NIL now in place, helmets would be coming off after every play with logos carved on their heads and lawd knows what else. It would turn into a circus. I also get annoyed when guys are busy celebrating what they should be doing in the first place which is making a play and meanwhile the opposing team is lining up to run another play.

Advertisement
Love the dancing but man with these up tempo offenses a lot of this Defensive plays (unless they are turnovers) the next play we aren’t ready.

I was watching the NC state game last year and Nesta made a TFL and starts strutting and wasn’t ready for the next play
I originally missed what you said in this one when making my post. Yeah ****es me off watching them have to scramble to get back into position before the snap and zero chance to make any reads.

Don’t care about any of that **** anymore. It’s not even the same game it was back then.

It’s time for this program to carve out its own identity in today’s college football.

Looking backwards only hurts us.
I’ve seen your posts before and love the 15-0 bit. Cracks me up every time and I love that kind of spirit in our fan base. In general I agree with your sentiment. However, i respectfully disagree because I believe in Cfb your present/ and future have a lot do with your past. I’ve been throwing words like “propaganda” around in some of my posts. I’d like to start highlighting the conspiracy in order to back up my claims in an attempt to counter the pattern of ONLY focusing on the mistakes we made as an organization.( when looking back). I will eventually bring it full circle of where we are now and where we are going. We made some horrible evaluations, underpaid our coaches etc.. and Coker and his bs recruiting strategy is prob where this all started. however, the amount of recruiting misses and de-commits include a multitude of players who would have changed the trajectory of the program. Those players being redirected from going to Miami were manipulated by the passing of Bryan Pata (R.I.P.), sensationalized nevin Shapiro bs, and eventually the SEC myths that manifested into reality (among others) To THIS day—We still missing recruits (that would have come here in 2004 with zero hesitation) due to “ lack of putting players in the league” that’s a hard pill to swallow for a fan that witnessed us being called the NFL factory. Also IMO when it comes to outdated laws that need to amended we should absolutely bring up the past in order to move forward. Go canes 🙌

I originally missed what you said in this one when making my post. Yeah ****es me off watching them have to scramble to get back into position before the snap and zero chance to make any reads.
Yes I agree. I was not suggesting to dance after every play against an up-tempo offense by any means. Just the freedom to be who WE are and play MIAMI style.

Advertisement
I thought the Miami rule was that NCAA regulations that do not apply to much of the Big 12, Big Ten, Notre Dame and almost all the SEC are enforced to the strictest letter of the law against the Miami Hurricanes.
YounSir are correct, that's precisely what it is.

I would do it a lot like a sideline warning.

A team has one time they can do a special group dance or excessive celebration and get a warning. After that a penalty.

The thing that makes college football so different from other sports (both college and pro) is the disparity of talent between the top and bottom programs. For that reason, I'm somewhat of a believer that the rule should be enforced based on the quality of opponent. If a top five ranked team plays a mid-major bottom feeder and they style & profile, I'm throwing the flag. If they do it against another ranked team....

1625941523813.png

Advertisement
Back