That TE screen play that helped win the SB - Lashlee...?

While plays are key, it's players that matter most.

Really? Clemson won 2 championships vs Bama with less talent than they had. Granted with 2 fabulous QB's, but Clemson has just now started recruiting as well as Bama.

Advertisement
We were better on offense, but not good necessarily. Blocking average at best and Lashlee's play calling wasn't very diverse.
As you said we were better on offense. Really tough to judge how good he may be. Came in with a totally new concept to the previous 4 seasons. Had no spring season and limited time when practice started before first game. Would be tough for any OC in those conditions. We will know a lot more after this season about how good he is

Those set up for other plays though. They allowed for big plays to the te when lbs/safeties would get drawn in and the te would slip out of the backfield. That play typically followed once you sold the qb run up the middle, especially with a hard fake by the qb.
I’m referencing those straight qb draws straight up the middle, especially with King coming back from his injury.
I believe early in that game there were 5 draws up the middle for 5 total yards.

You mean like those QB PA Rails that score every time? Our two TEs combined for 60 Rec, 905 yards, 11 Td. I would say that’s pretty involved. It was 1/3 of all of Kings passing yards last year

The tight ends were productive.

Why not get even more from them, especially with the uncertainty at wr?

I've been watching games of the past a couple of yrs. It's amazing that if we had a good OFFENSIVE line, we win 3 fourth of our games. The MISSING ingredients. So close yet so far away. Man, I'M so hopeful. We will get there very soon. The future is bright at the U.

Advertisement
Definitely going to have to shelve those called quarterback draws up the middle.
Those set up for other plays though. They allowed for big plays to the te when lbs/safeties would get drawn in and the te would slip out of the backfield. That play typically followed once you sold the qb run up the middle, especially with a hard fake by the qb.

Those qb draws are great. We just need a better mix. We waste too many runs up the middle. Nothing wrong with setting up big plays, but we go overboard.

We need more variety to the offense. We didn’t do a good enough job attacking lbs and safeties in the short passing game and it made us predictable. We left a lot of yards out there not attacking the short and intermediate middle enough. Also would like to see more passes to rbs.

Exactly. It's like chess. You move a piece in a relatively inconsequential way thinking of setting up a bigger move a few steps ahead.
Those QB power fakes that almost always led to huge gains were essentially play action passes. Even in old school football, you had to run the ball to set up play action passes. Even if the running game wasn’t getting much, you had to keep the threat there. King may run the QB power three times for 6 yards but on that fourth time, when the defense crashes, he’s going to toss it over their heads for an easy big gain to a wide open tight end or running back. Fans see him call the same play multiple times even though it’s not gaining yardage and don’t realize he’s setting the defense up for a huge play. Ideally, the interior line could get better push and those inside zones and QB powers would be more effective but you HAVE to keep calling them to keep the defense honest.

Lashlee needs to open up the offense, 2-3 WRs should always be a real threat to catch the ball on every play... even with the TEs.

Lashlee needs to open up the offense, 2-3 WRs should always be a real threat to catch the ball on every play... even with the TEs.
1614027979096.gif

Advertisement
I know Tampa didn't invent the play or anything, and I saw the Chiefs use it as well with Kelce, but regardless, we really need to incorporate those kinds of intentional TE plays into our O gameplan. I really was hoping to see more inventive TE plays like that throughout the year from Lashlee. My impression is that he would throw to the TE, but more as a change up instead of its bread and butter.

Even without Brevin, I really would like to see our TE passing game as the bread and butter that makes both the run and pass game work. You listening Lash? More TE, especially on 3rd and short, pretty please!!
We had one the most productive te room in the country

I've been watching games of the past a couple of yrs. It's amazing that if we had a good OFFENSIVE line, we win 3 fourth of our games. The MISSING ingredients. So close yet so far away. Man, I'M so hopeful. We will get there very soon. The future is bright at the U.

A good OL will make even an average OC look like a genius (not saying Lashlee is average).

Advertisement
I imagine Lashlee will be installing some new wrinkles with an entire offseason to do so, unlike last year.

I personally would love for him to install a bunch of the Clemson playbook. Their misdirectiions and counters are well designed plays.
I would be happy if we used more that 1 running play this year.

In the bowl game Perry sold that he was going to run as well as I've seen.

Advertisement
Just GO to the TE's MOOOOAAARRRRRR!!!!! we consistently have NFL caliber TE's... should be an even bigger part of the offense...
THIS!!! It isn't just that we throw to the TE's, it needs to be our bread and butter that opens up everything else.

Advertisement
Back