That clock management

If I didn’t have PTSD from the scared coaching during the A&M game last year it might not be a big deal

Like I get it. Terrible weather. Defense dominating, running game dominating etc

But something about it just didn’t feel right
Yea when I rewatched that game in summer two things that stood out was how much we were able to move ball but not punch it in even tho we had a ton of drops and missed plays and that moment we went for fg and seem to play for close loss than a win.. tough..

I think when it comes to those situations its just gonna lean conservative

Advertisement
Clock mgmt is going to be a big issue with a lot of teams this year with the change in clock rules.

That game was like 3 hours long! If teams aren’t careful, games could get away from them simply bc of the clock changes.
We ran 61 plays. Ohio ran 49. This is going to take a lot of adjustments.

Mario seemed a bit to content with just letting the clock run out at the end of the first half. His overall lack of aggression on offense could come back to bite him and the team in a more meaningful game. If you've got one minute on the clock and two timeouts, you need to be a lot more aggressive. Maybe TVD's thumb had something to do with it? They weren't really trying to throw downfield much the entire game. I just groaned when they came out and ran the ball on first down.
That was my complaint yesterday - that and the timeout but especially that with 1 minute on the clock. Otherwise night and day coaching and execution from last year.

The 1m drill wasn't mismanaged. Whoever working the Damm clock should be fired. We had 2-3 back to back first downs and the clock should stop. It didn't.

One timeout would have been called on the throw to George but there was a penalty. Then the big run and they got out of bounds.

I will say last year he took a TO just to avoid a delay and then punted. He didn't do that tonight, so progress.
Didn't they eliminate the stoppage after first down this season? Even the announcer mentioned it. Clock runs after first down now.

My one beef with Mario is his clock management skills

He takes weird timeouts and doesn’t seem to have the greatest feel on game day

Advertisement
Didn't they eliminate the stoppage after first down this season? Even the announcer mentioned it. Clock runs after first down now.
There's an exception for the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter I think

There's an exception for the last 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarter I think
Correct final two minutes of second and fourth quarter clock stops on first downs and starts once the chains are set.

Thank God they changed this rule, 4 hour to 4-1/2 hour games were ridiculous and painful.

Advertisement
Back