Tennessee ...Wow.

cflacane2

Band
Banned
How many heads are going to roll?

Report: Cops Called Butch Jones Before Searching Home Where Two Players Allegedly Raped A Woman

Phone records obtained today by the Tennessean show the flurry of calls made and received by Tennessee Volunteers head coach Butch Jones on the day in 2014 when a woman said she was raped by two members of his football team.

One thing the records do, per the Tennesseean, is line up with the timeline given by former player Drae Bowles, who said Jones called him a traitor and later said he was beaten up by fellow players for helping the woman. But they also show multiple calls between Jones and law enforcement, including the police chief, hours before police searched the apartment where the woman said she was raped, the Tennesseean reports.
Here’s the timeline of calls with police, from the Tennesseean. Emphasis added is mine.

Sam Brown, who serves as the Knoxville Police Department’s liaison to the Tennessee football program, contacted Jones at 8:20 a.m. on the day of the rape report. Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch contacted the coach 18 minutes later. Jones and the chief spoke four times throughout the day, with Jones initiating all but the first call.

The calls from Knoxville law enforcement officials to Jones came hours before police searched the apartment where the incident allegedly took place.

As for the calls with Bowles, they line up with what he said in his affidavit submitted as part of a massive Title IX lawsuit filed against the university, which accuses Tennessee of having “deliberate indifference” to assaults by athletes. In the affidavit, Bowles said he called Jones to tell him what happened after he got attacked. The phone records show “an incoming call from Bowles at 3:45 p.m. that lasted seven minutes,” the Tennessean reported. Per his affidavit, this is when Jones told Bowles “he was very disappointed in Bowles and that he had ‘betrayed the team.’”

The records also show a second call, from Jones to Bowles, at 9:46 p.m. in a conversation lasting nine minutes, the Tennesseean reported. In the affidavit, Bowles said, “Several hours after this phone call Jones called Bowles and apologized for calling Bowles a traitor to the team.”

There’s no way to know from the phone records the content of these calls, only the times and approximate length. Jones already has released a statement saying that his conversation with Bowles was “to support Drae and make sure he was OK.”

As to the calls with law enforcement, Jones said: “Anytime we have a disciplinary issue with a player, we have as many conversations as needed with players, parents, law enforcement, whomever until we can be sure that we are making the best decision possible.”

The two players being investigated, A.J. Johnson and Michael Williams, were charged with aggravated rape. Both have pleaded not guilty and are awaiting trial.

Advertisement
That ***** Mark Emmert has his work cut out sweeping this one under the rug to protect his beloved $EC and his boy Nicky poo in Trashcaloosa.

Advertisement
Shameful...being that I classify myself as southern because I was raised by the Everglades and spent summers with my Grandparents in South Georgia before they passed even though I'm Cuban descent, I find extremely distasteful that they give all of us such a bad name and then people who haven't lived in the south think that's the way we all are.

Look forward to ESPN having a week long panel talking about how terrible they are and how they are should be given death penalty. Oh wait they won't spend 5 seconds on it.

Advertisement
Sick *******. That coach outta be shown the door. This Miami and they'd be talking bout death penaltys

Shameful...being that I classify myself as southern because I was raised by the Everglades and spent summers with my Grandparents in South Georgia before they passed even though I'm Cuban descent, I find extremely distasteful that they give all of us such a bad name and then people who haven't lived in the south think that's the way we all are.

we're from the bottom. You goota go North to get South.

I'd be shocked if Tenn faces any disciplinary action from the NCAA.

and why the **** does the police dept have a dedicated liaison to the Tenn football program?!?!? That sounds like some shady s--t right there. Why would a college football player receive any remotely different treatment than you or I would?

Advertisement
I'm curious to see the end result of some of these Title IX lawsuits. I hope they drop the hammer on these schools. You want to get rid of the athlete worship, rape-culture at some of these schools? Drop their federal funding. Right now, there's no incentive in punishing rapists. Worst case scenario, the athlete is found guilty and the school and team cut ties, wash their hands and single him out as "a bad apple". All while going back to business as usual. Start messing with the school's money and there will be **** to pay.

I'd be shocked if Tenn faces any disciplinary action from the NCAA.

and why the **** does the police dept have a dedicated liaison to the Tenn football program?!?!? That sounds like some shady s--t right there. Why would a college football player receive any remotely different treatment than you or I would?

Came from Tallahassee Playbook

Advertisement
Why would any police chief call a football coach regarding a "possible" serious crime involving a player before the investigation has begun. Would he call the parents of a non-football playing AA who had just been accused of rape? I say innocent till proven guilty, but this is obviously an unbalanced investigation.

I am not a lawyer, but my sense is, the woman will get a lot of money from UT for her title IX lawsuit.

Advertisement
Back