Tenn. DL commit Darrell Jackson intrigued by UM, looking to visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Gadsden County (FL) 3-star DE Darrell Jackson is a newcomer to the game of football, but that hasn’t stopped him from making his name known both on the field and in recruiting in a short amount of time.

During his junior year in 2019, Jackson hit the gridiron for the first time and contributed an impressive line of 51 tackles, 19 TFL, and 5 sacks for Gadsden County. Jackson attributes his growth over the past year to his coaches on the Jaguars and feels he learned a lot about the game in that time.

“The coaching staff that came to Gadsden County made me want to play football,” Jackson said. “It was something special about them. They love the kids and were always willing to help, they’re the greatest. I performed well this year once I got into it. I felt good about this season and kept giving it my all.”

Being so new to the sport, Jackson wasn’t even on most colleges’ radars heading into 2020, receiving his first FBS offer from Maryland in late January. It was his second FBS offer a week later that caught his eye the most, though, which he received from Tennessee while on campus in Knoxville for a junior day event. Jackson accepted the offer on the spot and has been a commitment to the Volunteers since early February.

“The coaching staff and environment sold me,” Jackson said of Tennessee. “Everything’s going good with them.”

Not long afterwards in late March, Jackson heard from the Miami Hurricanes and DL coach Todd Stroud, who told the Gadsden County star that he had an offer from UM.

“I was excited when I got it because this was my first year playing football and I got the U - that was major to me,” Jackson said. “I talked to coach Stroud and he was telling me I’ll be the perfect fit for the defense. I have the right size and the length for the defensive line there.”

The 6-6 240 pound prospect has told Stroud that he’d like to come down to check out UM, and that he’s intrigued in an option like Miami that would be closer to his home.

“I’m for sure supposed to come to Miami whenever the campus opens back up,” Jackson said. “I always liked Miami - their style of play, swagger, and relentlessness. Miami is a great school and program. Plus, it’s in Florida and I would be close to home.”

Still, Jackson maintains his pledge to Tennessee, who has notably been the hottest team in recruiting over the past month or so. What would it take for Jackson to consider flipping from his Tennessee commitment?

“I’m not sure at this point, but I’m looking for a great education and a staff that will develop me as a man and as a player so that I will have a chance to make it to the NFL and change my family and life.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Right now any Vol commit is suspected AF and is a bag chaser or a **** spy until proven otherwise. Last thing we need is some dude down here in our recruits ear about all that crypto or whatever they’re dropping in Dollywood. Better keep him tf away from Franklin.

Advertisement
Can’t blame ya brother

Not to derail this thread. But this pandemic has been mishandled from a crisis management perspective worse than any similar crisis I can remember in my lifetime. It's Katrina x100, since that natural disaster was limited primarily to New Orleans, and this is national and global. A simple testing and temperature reading system would solve this problem for sports practices and camps. We're using medieval (really prehistoric) methods to control infections when science and technology can be applied with better accuracy and success.

Advertisement
His high school coach is my best friend's cousin, I asked my friend's cousin about him, he said he'll more than likely grow into a DT at the college level.

What did they say about his abilities? Usually locals know how to separate the legends from hype.

What did they say about his abilities? Usually locals know how to separate the legends from hype.
They said he's one of the better linemen prospects to come through our county, most of the locals see him as a DT in college, my friend told me he has a bit above average explosiveness for a DE prospect, so he sees him playing DT in college and said he could be very productive at a D1 program. He also said that he plays high right and not as low as he'd like.

Advertisement
They said he's one of the better linemen prospects to come through our county, most of the locals see him as a DT in college, my friend told me he has a bit above average explosiveness for a DE prospect, so he sees him playing DT in college and said he could be very productive at a D1 program. He also said that he plays high right and not as low as he'd like.

Plan B?

Coach Stroud needs to spend his time working on strengthening his relationship with 2021 DT Savion Collins mom.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back