Team DNA

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
A lot of people on here are married to a pro style offense and a 4-3 defense from our next coach. I personally prefer a 4-3 D but am very open to a spread O that features a running QB that can also throw well. Eg. Deshaun Watson, Mariota, Boykin, Prescott, Dobbs, Marquise Williams. I feel it puts more pressure on the D to defend everybody and extends drives and plays.

Many are calling this a gimmick offense. What was our offense under JJ/Erickson? In the eighties and early nineties, we were the gimmick. Everyone else was option/wishbone like OU and NU, many of the Texas schools or were 3 yards and a cloud of dust like the SEC and Big Ten. Think Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Leroy Hoard, Keith Byars.

People concerned about Miami DNA or style of play, need to let it go

UF was Fun N Gun before Urban's power spread. Won titles under both styles.
What was TCU's calling card before Patterson, Baylor before Briles, Oregon before Kelly, OSU before Gundy? these schools have played football for 100 years, surely they must have had a style before those coaches.

Stoops has done a 180 degree change of Oklahoma's historical style of play. They have more history than us.

The point is, if a guy can coach, he can coach. Get the best guy regardless of scheme.

Advertisement
Lot of good points. I am one who preaches DNA all the time. I remember an older Miami dna and it sucked. The DNA Howard brought to THE U was different. JJ added a little to it and then it was magic. That DNA brought the 5 NCs. The reason I prefer our classic pocket passer is that it affords a extra moment, maybe just part of a second for one of old talented WRs to break free and the QB hit them. A mobile QB has feet as an option. It looks good when guy get 1st down instead of a sack -- but you miss many last second opportunities. Remember we had two truly great mobile QBs -- Kelly and Vinny. They are perhaps our greatest QBs. Vinny was my favorite. They are also the two who DID NOT win a NC. Bernie, Steve, Craig, Gino, and Ken -- not anything like the QBs you mentioned but 5 NCs among them.

OU and ND won NCs with running QBs while in our glory days but both died under the weight of our greatness. OU never beat us. In Urban's second NC year with the god-like Tebow at QB Randy went into the swamp with a lesser version of our old defense and no QB. For 3 quarters on defense pounded Tebow into sand. If we had a Miami level QB that night, Urban and Tebow have a different history.

Without the Pell Grant scandal, UF and FSU probably miss out on 2 more titles. If Butch doesn't have brain fart at WU or doesn't screwed by the BSC computer, Stoops never get a title. If Butch stays at Miami the read option and power spread remains a novelty with the old Houston offense after being exposed to Miami.

That is at least my view.

I agree
Let the 80's and 90's go guys....

If the next coach want a read-run/option offense ,I'm all in.....
Their many ways to win,and I'm a old head who's tired of losing .....

I'm tired of seeing certain posters call all variations of the spread a "gimmick" and express vehement opposition to dual-threat QBs because they run too much.

Just because a certain formula worked here 15 years ago doesn't mean it's the only way for this program to be dominant. The closed-minded nostalgia is absurd.

I'm
Lot of good points. I am one who preaches DNA all the time. I remember an older Miami dna and it sucked. The DNA Howard brought to THE U was different. JJ added a little to it and then it was magic. That DNA brought the 5 NCs. The reason I prefer our classic pocket passer is that it affords a extra moment, maybe just part of a second for one of old talented WRs to break free and the QB hit them. A mobile QB has feet as an option. It looks good when guy get 1st down instead of a sack -- but you miss many last second opportunities. Remember we had two truly great mobile QBs -- Kelly and Vinny. They are perhaps our greatest QBs. Vinny was my favorite. They are also the two who DID NOT win a NC. Bernie, Steve, Craig, Gino, and Ken -- not anything like the QBs you mentioned but 5 NCs among them.

OU and ND won NCs with running QBs while in our glory days but both died under the weight of our greatness. OU never beat us. In Urban's second NC year with the god-like Tebow at QB Randy went into the swamp with a lesser version of our old defense and no QB. For 3 quarters on defense pounded Tebow into sand. If we had a Miami level QB that night, Urban and Tebow have a different history.

Without the Pell Grant scandal, UF and FSU probably miss out on 2 more titles. If Butch doesn't have brain fart at WU or doesn't screwed by the BSC computer, Stoops never get a title. If Butch stays at Miami the read option and power spread remains a novelty with the old Houston offense after being exposed to Miami.

For me, defensively, I want what Dantonio is running at MSU or McElwain at Florida. Very similar to our attacking 4-3.
Offensively, I want averages of about 250 yds passing and 200 yds running with about 50-60 of those coming from my QB at times of my calling or by scrambling to extend a drive. Don't want to rely on it all the time. Similar to Clemson this year where Watson is running it about 10 times a game total.

Advertisement
Back in the 80's, Miami was an innovative team. Howard brought a pro passing scheme, and Jimmy brought innovation on defense. Dennis ran a spread offense that was ahead of the times. We need to get that back.

Kelly mobile? That's laughable. He was a joke among his teammates because he was so slow afoot. He was a pure pocket passer.

Vinny was mobile but he only did so on scrambles and maybe roll-outs. A pass-run option was never part of his game. Under JJ we ran Howard's offense (remember Gary Stevens?) and that was a pure pocket-passing pro-style offense.

I'm tired of seeing certain posters call all variations of the spread a "gimmick" and express vehement opposition to dual-threat QBs because they run too much.

Just because a certain formula worked here 15 years ago doesn't mean it's the only way for this program to be dominant. The closed-minded nostalgia is absurd.

Urban has won 3 titles with it, Chizik 1, Mack Brown 1, Stoops 1 with A passing spread O all since we last won. Never mind Oregon x 2, Auburn, Ohio State with Troy Smith, OU with Jason White and Sam Bradford all playing in championship games.

The spread is a viable offense and suits our recruiting base perfectly.

Back in the 80's, Miami was an innovative team. Howard brought a pro passing scheme, and Jimmy brought innovation on defense. Dennis ran a spread offense that was ahead of the times. We need to get that back.

How is that so different from what we run now, other than the fact we run out of the shotgun almost exclusively? We rarely run a two-back and we always have at least 3-4 WRs with maybe a TE as an H-back or I guess some kind of a combo player. I'm not sure what the correct term is for a TE who is split out most of the time. Dennis offense was always three WR and a single back. I just recall that the QB was under center a lot more.

Advertisement

Urban has won 3 titles with it, Chizik 1, Mack Brown 1, Stoops 1 with A passing spread O all since we last won. Never mind Oregon x 2, Auburn, Ohio State with Troy Smith, OU with Jason White and Sam Bradford all playing in championship games.

The spread is a viable offense and suits our recruiting base perfectly.

I don't recall that many elite pure pocket passer QBs coming out of south Florida. And we always had trouble with mobile QBs going back to the late '80's.

A lot of people on here are married to a pro style offense and a 4-3 defense from our next coach. I personally prefer a 4-3 D but am very open to a spread O that features a running QB that can also throw well. Eg. Deshaun Watson, Mariota, Boykin, Prescott, Dobbs, Marquise Williams. I feel it puts more pressure on the D to defend everybody and extends drives and plays.

Many are calling this a gimmick offense. What was our offense under JJ/Erickson? In the eighties and early nineties, we were the gimmick. Everyone else was option/wishbone like OU and NU, many of the Texas schools or were 3 yards and a cloud of dust like the SEC and Big Ten. Think Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Leroy Hoard, Keith Byars.

People concerned about Miami DNA or style of play, need to let it go

UF was Fun N Gun before Urban's power spread. Won titles under both styles.
What was TCU's calling card before Patterson, Baylor before Briles, Oregon before Kelly, OSU before Gundy? these schools have played football for 100 years, surely they must have had a style before those coaches.

Stoops has done a 180 degree change of Oklahoma's historical style of play. They have more history than us.

The point is, if a guy can coach, he can coach. Get the best guy regardless of scheme.

Whatever scheme you run works prettu well when you execute it

Your "DNA" should reflect your main recruiting ground.

As of a right now that means SPREAD OFFENSE and EVEN FRONT defenses. (4-3 or 4-2-5)

People that want the Pro-Style offense don't even know why they want it...other than the fact that it worked before. (when we were loaded with NFL guys)

Advertisement

How is that so different from what we run now, other than the fact we run out of the shotgun almost exclusively? We rarely run a two-back and we always have at least 3-4 WRs with maybe a TE as an H-back or I guess some kind of a combo player. I'm not sure what the correct term is for a TE who is split out most of the time. Dennis offense was always three WR and a single back. I just recall that the QB was under center a lot more.

I mean we need to get back to being an innovator. We need to bring in coaches who are forward thinking.

Advertisement

I'm convinced those people don't watch football. Spread concept are everywhere, including the NFL.

Kelly mobile? That's laughable. He was a joke among his teammates because he was so slow afoot. He was a pure pocket passer.

Vinny was mobile but he only did so on scrambles and maybe roll-outs. A pass-run option was never part of his game. Under JJ we ran Howard's offense (remember Gary Stevens?) and that was a pure pocket-passing pro-style offense.

Never meant that Kelly and Vinny were running QBs, just that they were the most mobile of our good ones -- I am sure you remember Bernie. My point was that pure pocket passers hang on until the last moment to make a pass, if for no other reason they have no choice. Good point about Jim. Jo Pa wanted him as LB. Slow was okay for him --- explains why Al thought slow LBs were a good thing.

I'm convinced those people don't watch football. Spread concept are everywhere, including the NFL.

Only difference is in the NFL the QBs rarely run. It's their last option cuz it will get them killed rather quickly. In college some of these gimmick offenses, the QB runs more than they throw. JT Barrett against Michigan Saturday is a good example.

If we are going to a spread offense I want something like Houston runs. They have a legit dual threat QB that throws a lot and also can get out of the pocket when need be.

Advertisement
Back