TE Brandon Holifield

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
Tallahassee (FL) Godby High School TE Brandon Holifield has set up his official visit to UM for the weekend of Dec. 10.

"I talked to coach (Brennan) Carroll - we were talking about it and he gave me that weekend or the one following it," Holifield said. "I decided since my birthday was Dec. 7 I'd come down then."

It's his birthday present.

Holifield, who is not graduating early, says he's "not sure" if he'll be taking any other visits.

Asked if he does take visits where he would go, Holifield said, "I can't leak that information right now. But I think I'll take at least two more (visits)."

So where does that leave the level of his Cane commitment?

"I can say they have nothing to worry about at this point," Holifield said.

Holifield is staying in regular contact with Miami coaches.

"They talk about the team, how it's going, give me updates on the recruiting, the scandal," he said. "With the scandal they just say they would still accept my scholarship, that everything's going okay, that the punishment won't affect my scholarship so I'm not really worried about it. And we talk about the other commitments - say the program we'll have next year and everything."

Given UM's lack of an impact player at tight end, Holifield hopes he can play an early role.

"Coaches said it depends on how fast I learn the playbook, the system," Holifield said. "I'm not sure if I'll play right away, but whenever I touch the field I'll do my thing."

* Holifield has just gotten back on the field after a groin injury that he suffered in the season's second week.

Of what he's working hardest to improve, Holifield said, "I'm looking to get a little bigger. I'm at 205 right now, want to get to 225, 230 by the time I get down there. And if I don't they'll help me put it on."

Advertisement
A raw talent, Holifield possesses the measurables and skill-set to develop over time at the tight end position in college. Has the athleticism to split out at WR and use his leaping ability to out jump smaller DB's. A potential red zone or underneath threat at the next level. Is a tall but lean prospect who has the length to add bulk. Has a long wingspan. Possesses long limbs and is deceptively quick and athletic for a guy his size. Has good speed with a long stride but needs to build up momentum to get to his top speed. Is quick off the line, eating up cushion fast. Has good hands, can extend well above his head to reel in a pass. Excels at high pointing the jump ball. Is raw in his route running, lacks intermediate running sharpness. Flashes the ability to get the ball in space in the short range and display some lateral suddenness but runs high, opening up body for direct hits. Uses his body to shield defenders from the ball on underneath routes. Shows he has to gear down in and out of breaks. It is hard for DB's to judge his movement skills and although he isn't a burner, his height makes him a dangerous deep threat or a red zone target on fade routes. Will work back to scrambling QB. Working the middle of the field or crossing routes will need to be his strengths at the next level. Overall, Holifield is a prospect who will need time to develop into his game, particularly his route running and in-line blocking. Most likely will be used as an H in flexed out sets to start his career. Has the frame and tools to excel in blocking but will need a red shirt year to refine these techniques.

Advertisement
Back