Taylor turned down $600K to return

You guys aren't factoring in that sometimes players just don't wanna stay & are ready to move on.

People always get beside themselves when players leave early, but the reality is, you shouldn't want any player that doesn't want to stick around to come back for another year. All they end up doing is driving the locker room down. And tbh, there's nothing that can happen that will change the trajectory of the outcome. If he wound up as an UDFA after his Junior season, the reasons that lead to that happening will still be there his Senior season.

If he's got bad work ethic as a Junior, he's gonna have it as a Senior. If he takes plays off as a Junior, he's gonna take plays off as a Senior. If he's fat & lazy as a Junior... You get the gist.

The guys who leave early are doing exactly what they're supposed to do.
I don’t pretend to know what these kids are making. I’ve only seen a handful of real, verified dollar amounts. I’m yet to see a non all conference caliber player make anywhere near that. Maybe desperation drives up the price. I mean, I get the point. Even a 200k offer would have been better financially speaking. But obviously the dude wanted out of college even if it meant turning down guaranteed money. Not sure we’d want to keep a guy that desperate to get out on the roster.

Advertisement
The university needs to hire an AD over Athletic Development that controls medical, athletic trainers, and S&C.

Then hire a real S&C coach for football and not a cartoon.
Use your sports science dept to your advantage (some say they finally are, but Dr. Mann left in a hurry)

Do a complete re-eval of your position drills and training, practice periods, etc.
Are you using the most up-to-date methods for developing players?
Back in the day in high school the science department / health classes alway participated in being trainers assistants at practices and go field passes at games.

They received extra credit on class grades plus actually learned something dealing with hydration, taping ankles, minor scraps an injuries and so on.

You guys aren't factoring in that sometimes players just don't wanna stay & are ready to move on.

People always get beside themselves when players leave early, but the reality is, you shouldn't want any player that doesn't want to stick around to come back for another year. All they end up doing is driving the locker room down. And tbh, there's nothing that can happen that will change the trajectory of the outcome. If he wound up as an UDFA after his Junior season, the reasons that lead to that happening will still be there his Senior season.

If he's got bad work ethic as a Junior, he's gonna have it as a Senior. If he takes plays off as a Junior, he's gonna take plays off as a Senior. If he's fat & lazy as a Junior... You get the gist.

The guys who leave early are doing exactly what they're supposed to do.

I almost posted something very similar and this is a good point. We don't know what external factors are at play here. Maybe he has an insane ex old lady and needs to get out of town. Maybe he's got family problems. Maybe him and Joe are about to throw hands. We don't know.

Just saying, and really the reason I made the post, is he's a good player, albeit flawed, and we could have used him this year. But more importantly, it's just another example of this stuff going sideways for Miami. So if this was the first time this happened, it probably wouldn't even have caught my attention. Something might be up, as you alluded to. But this is just example #7000 of this almost same exact situation, except in this landscape, you can just flat out pay the kids to stay and it's public and nobody has to worry about getting caught, etc. So did other Miami kids go pro moronically and turn down money to come back? Of course. But this is probably the first example of a kid doing it where we can all probably agree the number was $600K and it's OK to talk about it.

I looked at a 4th round DT from last season.

The only guaranteed money is the signing bonus, which was about $750k.

I’m sure he didn’t expect to completely fall out of the draft, but at the end of the season, again, who the **** is telling these kids they’re going to be high picks? You can literally walk onto greentree anytime and have your own “combine” to compare with your position group. Did he not know he was fat and slow? This **** is baffling to me.

Thought the same thing the other day, do any of these dudes not even bother to run the 40 before declaring? Maybe just for ***** and giggles try benching 225 till exhaustion? It’s wild

Advertisement
What a idiot lol ngl glad he's gone don't want any lazy kids we tryna get to places Taylor's mindset won't take us

This has become waaaaay too common. Maybe its time for the NCAA to allow undrafted players the chance to return.

Maybe start with something like.. underclassmen who declare for the NFL draft are automatically entered into the spring transfer portal (which just happens to be open during the NFL draft anyway).

Football is really the only sport that doesn't allow players any opportunity to come back.

Undrafted college basketball players are allowed to return if they attend the NBA combine, get an evaluation from the Undergraduate Advisory Committee and inform their athletics director by the Monday after the draft.

College baseball players who get drafted can return to school as long as they don't sign.

Draft eligible hockey players are allowed to sign AND stay in school AND use all 4 years of eligibility. NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after they leave college.

So its not unheard of.

Advertisement
I, for one, was thrilled when he entered the draft and left. He was terrible and lazy. Not a Mario type recruit. He was a Manny "hype" recruit that eventually performed as the vast majority of Manny recruits did. The additional beauty in all this, we now have $600K in funds to spend on a real DT. GO CANES!

Advertisement
600k at age 22? Unless you're going high in the draft, you take that money and throw it all into your Vanguard brokerage.

Even a ******* money market is getting 5%.

Good lord he would have been in great shape!
Plus a degree then draft money next year smh 🤦🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
“He ain’t me. That won’t happen to me”

Dumbass kids

Exactly the mindset.

Paraphrasing these mental midgets, it always the same. They sit down with coaches, parents, advisors and get their grade back—told by all that one more year would suit them well—only to get the same canned, "I've dreamed about playing in the NFL all my life and I don't care what the information says, I know in my heart I'm ready".

Leonard Taylor this year. Trajan Bandy years back. Jon Ford, Jonathan Garvin, Kendrick Norton.... same story for all these guys.

Man this thread has comments and posts all over the place.

Who is Zach Soskin? Is he credible? Circling that he replied with "I'm not guessing" doesn't make him credible. Does it really matter though? Zach Soskin or not, DT's get a good chunk of cash because it is so hard to find 300 pounders who can move. Fact is that LT made a bad decision after getting bad counseling or he didn't listen to the counseling he got.

I've been one of the louder folks on here regarding disdain for LT and in particular, his laziness. He takes plays off - a lot. He admitted as much last offseason. That's the part that will prevent Reggie White 2.0 from getting drafted. Lineplay in the NFL is more about limiting/eliminating mistakes than it is about making spectacular plays. If LT makes 3 sacks in a game but takes 3 plays off that result in a big 3rd down conversion and 2 TDs for the other team, those sacks don't matter anymore. To @Memnon 's point earlier on this thread, LT's laziness and lack of effort was likely to not change this fall - it was already cooked into his DNA. I feel like we will not be recruiting guys like this moving forward and if one slips through the cracks, he'll get sent to the portal pronto.

Here's the real real.....I'm sad by this. I'm sad for several reasons. It is a classic lose-lose. It's sad because I don't think LT will really absorb how bad this was until he's in his 30's and 40's. I'm sad that these agents don't give a F about these kids.

600k at age 22? Unless you're going high in the draft, you take that money and throw it all into your Vanguard brokerage.

Even a ******* money market is getting 5%.

Good lord he would have been in great shape!
These kids just aren't smart man. Surprised the parents or adults in his life didn't advise him to take that deal as well...guess he thought much higher or himself than anyone in the NFL thought

Advertisement
Back