Targets update from Barry J.

Advertisement

cliff notes:

There’s no bigger priority than four-star Miami Monsignor Pace defensive end Shemar Stewart, rated the No. 3 player in the country by ESPN and No. 38 by Rivals. UM, Texas A&M and Georgia are his finalists, and he reportedly will make a decision on Feb. 2.

Miami has a decent chance to land four-star Ft. Lauderdale Gibbons defensive tackle Ahmad Moten, a 6-4, 290-pound prospect whose brother Anthony played at UM. Moten has visited Iowa State and plans to visit UM and Tennessee. Four-star Las Vegas based defensive end Cyrus Moss originally planned to sign with a school last Friday (among UM, Alabama, Southern Cal, Oregon, Arizona State) and not disclose it until Jan. 8. But he reportedly decided not to sign with anyone until February.

And four-star San Diego based defensive end Gracen Halton, an Oregon commitment since January, will visit UM next month, per Canesport. On the transfer portal front, defensive tackle Jayson Jones, a former Oregon starter, remains a Canes target.

Four of UM’s nine signees are defensive backs, but the Canes want to add at least one more. They’re pursuing four-star San Diego-based cornerback Jahlil Florence and have kept in contact with three-star Ocala based cornerback Jammarien Burt, a former Gators commitment. Florence was an Oregon commitment before Cristobal left for Miami.

UM also continues to explore the portal for a veteran cornerback. The Hurricanes tried to lure Alabama Crimson Tide cornerback Marcus Banks, but he committed to Mississippi State on Monday.

Wide receiver: The Canes already have one signed and are vigorously pursuing St. Louis-based four star receiver Kevin Coleman, rated by Rivals as the No. 9 receiver and No. 61 overall player in this class. He’s choosing among UM, FSU and Southern California. An announcement is expected around Jan. 8. UM also is in the mix for Clemson and former South Dade High receiver Frank Ladson, who’s in the transfer portal.

A top target is Seattle-based tackle Josh Conerly Jr., rated by Rivals as the 58th best player in this class and the seventh best tackle. He told Canesport that he plans to visit UM; Michigan is formidable competition.

Another top target: Four-star Washington-based guard Dave Iuli, an Oregon commitment who has a good relationship with Cristobal and offensive line Alex Mirabal, who will leave the Ducks’ staff after their bowl game to join Cristobal’s staff. So Miami has a chance here. Rivals ranks Iuli as the No. 9 guard and the 186th best player in this 2022 class.

A few other names worth monitoring: three-star St. John’s, Florida-based tackle Matthew McCoy and three-star California-based tackle Jackson Brown, a player pursued by Manny Diaz before his dismissal.

UM, if it chooses, could pursue Oregon guard Jonathan Denis, a South Dade High alum who’s in the transfer portal. He was Rivals’ No. 6 guard in the 2020 class. Denis was getting some first-team reps in camp last August but then sustained an injury that kept him out awhile. Other positions:

UM might add a running back and veteran edge player in the portal.
Wow, it seems Barry is very good at compiling information found on the board. Have to appreciate his reading and comprehension skills.

cliff notes:

There’s no bigger priority than four-star Miami Monsignor Pace defensive end Shemar Stewart, rated the No. 3 player in the country by ESPN and No. 38 by Rivals. UM, Texas A&M and Georgia are his finalists, and he reportedly will make a decision on Feb. 2.

Miami has a decent chance to land four-star Ft. Lauderdale Gibbons defensive tackle Ahmad Moten, a 6-4, 290-pound prospect whose brother Anthony played at UM. Moten has visited Iowa State and plans to visit UM and Tennessee. Four-star Las Vegas based defensive end Cyrus Moss originally planned to sign with a school last Friday (among UM, Alabama, Southern Cal, Oregon, Arizona State) and not disclose it until Jan. 8. But he reportedly decided not to sign with anyone until February.

And four-star San Diego based defensive end Gracen Halton, an Oregon commitment since January, will visit UM next month, per Canesport. On the transfer portal front, defensive tackle Jayson Jones, a former Oregon starter, remains a Canes target.

Four of UM’s nine signees are defensive backs, but the Canes want to add at least one more. They’re pursuing four-star San Diego-based cornerback Jahlil Florence and have kept in contact with three-star Ocala based cornerback Jammarien Burt, a former Gators commitment. Florence was an Oregon commitment before Cristobal left for Miami.

UM also continues to explore the portal for a veteran cornerback. The Hurricanes tried to lure Alabama Crimson Tide cornerback Marcus Banks, but he committed to Mississippi State on Monday.

Wide receiver: The Canes already have one signed and are vigorously pursuing St. Louis-based four star receiver Kevin Coleman, rated by Rivals as the No. 9 receiver and No. 61 overall player in this class. He’s choosing among UM, FSU and Southern California. An announcement is expected around Jan. 8. UM also is in the mix for Clemson and former South Dade High receiver Frank Ladson, who’s in the transfer portal.

A top target is Seattle-based tackle Josh Conerly Jr., rated by Rivals as the 58th best player in this class and the seventh best tackle. He told Canesport that he plans to visit UM; Michigan is formidable competition.

Another top target: Four-star Washington-based guard Dave Iuli, an Oregon commitment who has a good relationship with Cristobal and offensive line Alex Mirabal, who will leave the Ducks’ staff after their bowl game to join Cristobal’s staff. So Miami has a chance here. Rivals ranks Iuli as the No. 9 guard and the 186th best player in this 2022 class.

A few other names worth monitoring: three-star St. John’s, Florida-based tackle Matthew McCoy and three-star California-based tackle Jackson Brown, a player pursued by Manny Diaz before his dismissal.

UM, if it chooses, could pursue Oregon guard Jonathan Denis, a South Dade High alum who’s in the transfer portal. He was Rivals’ No. 6 guard in the 2020 class. Denis was getting some first-team reps in camp last August but then sustained an injury that kept him out awhile. Other positions:

UM might add a running back and veteran edge player in the portal.

A disappointing BJ, in that he summarized everything that is already on CIS.

Advertisement
The confusion around this Moss situation is odd. Some say he signed while others say he didn’t. I’m under the impression he did and he’s doing a fantastic job of keeping it under wraps along with the school he signed with
I hope I'm wrong; but I don't think that he committed. I truly believe that Lanning got in his ear and told him to push his commitment back and give him a chance.
It doesn't make sense for him to push his commitment back if you've already made up your mind and signed on the dotted line.

He uses Ferman, too
Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

Advertisement
When they gonna say they rate kids base on where they go, i don't believe that. And if they do that is the most bull i heard in a while cuz that would mean Travis Hunter should be a 3 star and every TE we get should be a 5 star. That is str8 politics. But until i get confirmation they said it. I wont believe it
Multiple times Andrew Ivins and Wiltfong have confirmed the school weighs into their ranking. Their ranking is off draft projections. Their thinking is that a kid from Bama has a better chance going 1st round over a kid from Iowa. So kids being dropped after they commit to UM is 100% real.

Multiple times Andrew Ivins and Wiltfong have confirmed the school weighs into their ranking. Their ranking is off draft projections. Their thinking is that a kid from Bama has a better chance going 1st round over a kid from Iowa. So kids being dropped after they commit to UM is 100% real.
Ok. 247 just went down in my book.

Advertisement
On this and every other board, the best recruiting ranking site is the one that has their recruits ranked the highest. I've seen every one of them trashed one year and then talked up the next year when they have our guys higher than the other site by and large.

Best example was when we had the number one class on ESPN. ESPN was laughed at until that year.
Does anyone even look at ESPN rankings still?

Absolutely zero breaking news. Just a wordier list of the recruits that haven't signed LOI's yet.

Thank you, BJ, for wasting my time!

Looks like the 'insider' market may be drying up. All we're getting is kids tweeting when they're offered. We were expecting a couple portalers to pop and crickets thus far along with non-definitive takes. Maybe nothing to share, maybe leaks plugged on Mario's watch?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back