Tampa, Orlando and the new staff?

Hold My Beer

CANE up in heah
Premium
TB (18th) and Orlando (22nd) have a combined metro population of 6M.

Obviously a number of excellent prospects have come out of those two areas over the years, so I was wondering what we can expect from Mario and his staff going forward.

Both places are a little more than 4 hours from Coral Gables, so it's not like they are that far away.

For a life-long Floridian, I haven't spent all that much time in either place. Just guessing FSU and UF might be tough for us to beat down there, not to mention the usual interlopers in Bama, Clemson, OSU, LSU, UGA, etc.

Are we expecting the new staff to allocate a significant amount of recruiting time and resources to Orlando and Tampa?

And can we realistically be a player for the 5-star and 4-star Top 250-type prospects in the Central Florida region?

Advertisement
born in orlando until 9, went back in 2012-2018 before moving up here to Akron

level of competition is good and U school in Orlando has developed some solid players over the years. Definitely gator country though.

Mario has shown that he doesn't care where he has to go to get talent so I wouldn't say anywhere will be neglected

born in orlando until 9, went back in 2012-2018 before moving up here to Akron

level of competition is good and U school in Orlando has developed some solid players over the years. Definitely gator country though.

Mario has shown that he doesn't care where he has to go to get talent so I wouldn't say anywhere will be neglected
What part of Akron? I grew up in Firestone Park area in the 70s and early 80s

What part of Akron? I grew up in Firestone Park area in the 70s and early 80s
nice I know that area well, her grandma lives in firestone park

We live in the portage lakes area, 20 mins southeast out of Akron

Advertisement
Orlando?? I don't think Mario would concede a kid in Anchorage if he wanted him. Forget everything you know about what coaching and recruiting at Miami looks like. Just like he did at Bama. There are no borders anymore. There is about to be a tidal wave of savagery.

Last edited:
We must recruit the Orlando area better. It's not even a question. The place is teeming with talent.

We won't ever be top dog in Polk County, but it's possible to get kids from outside Lakeland High.

There's a lot of good players in the Bay Area, although it varies more widely year to year. We've always been considerably behind UF and FSU there, but used to get more guys (Maurice Crum and Rayshawn Jenkins are notables, Robert Marve a yuuuuge bust).

The whole state's full of good players, it's just a matter of prioritizing and selling the program.

Tampa isn’t anti-Cane but it is definitely pro-Gator. This is where a lot of Gator alums end up after undergrad.

Just realized it looks like my username needs updating.

Advertisement
So I guess Tampa and Orlando each have plenty of UF and FSU graduates.

In North Florida, we just got a lot of folks who bought a Gator or Nole t-shirt at Wal-Mart.
Far more Gators than Noles in both Tampa and Orlando. There aren't actually more than 103 USF fans.

City of Orlando also has a lot of people who bought a UCF shirt at Family Dollar. Outside the immediate environs of that toilet, the suburbs are quickly overwhelmingly pro-reptile.

Central Florida is gator country.

We made in roads in to Jacksonville with Richt...well started with Golden. Thats where we should continue to spend money.

If Ish remains on staff we will have an IN...in Orlando.

To keep it a buck..Orlando talent is typically overrated. Tampa was where id like to be more again.

Whatever funds they would use in Orlando...i would detour that to New Orleans, or Tidewater area. Just my opinion.

We did get an Orlando commit this class....and i believe CJ Baxter from Edgewater is a certified freak at RB.

Advertisement
TB (18th) and Orlando (22nd) have a combined metro population of 6M.

Obviously a number of excellent prospects have come out of those two areas over the years, so I was wondering what we can expect from Mario and his staff going forward.

Both places are a little more than 4 hours from Coral Gables, so it's not like they are that far away.

For a life-long Floridian, I haven't spent all that much time in either place. Just guessing FSU and UF might be tough for us to beat down there, not to mention the usual interlopers in Bama, Clemson, OSU, LSU, UGA, etc.

Are we expecting the new staff to allocate a significant amount of recruiting time and resources to Orlando and Tampa?

And can we realistically be a player for the 5-star and 4-star Top 250-type prospects in the Central Florida region?
We have always gotten great prospects from there and will continue. Gainesville is the closest to the area but its really neutral territory imo. Lingard was a bust but we got him from there, along with Jon Campbell as recent players that come to mind. Kenard Lang coach in that area. Orlando area that is. Tampa area i think we have work to do, we have been slacking lately and we need to have a bigger presence at IMG. The biggest thing that's gonna help us with recruiting is the apparatus we gonna build and the money devoted to recruiting, more boots on the ground in the areas we target. Local bag men and the like.

Advertisement
Tampa isn’t anti-Cane but it is definitely pro-Gator. This is where a lot of Gator alums end up after undergrad.

Most of these grads are white people and most of the players we target are black. Nothing racial but facts. We ceded these areas to those teams because we haven't had the resources to pour in before. Now we do, its a different ball game. Its more to do with that than the local residents.

I live in Tampa Bay and there is some talent in the area, but not like the Muck and SF. But, Miami is not a player for most top kids here. UF and FSU are entrenched here. In addition, USC, OSU and Michigan get some top players.

I know when I sport my Canes gear, I get people throwing up the U everywhere I go. The fans are here, you just don't see it anymore like back in the 80s through early 2000s. We start winning, and Tampa will become a Miami Hotspot again. Recruits will be all about the U again. Build it, and they will come...

Last edited:
We must recruit the Orlando area better. It's not even a question. The place is teeming with talent.

We won't ever be top dog in Polk County, but it's possible to get kids from outside Lakeland High.

There's a lot of good players in the Bay Area, although it varies more widely year to year. We've always been considerably behind UF and FSU there, but used to get more guys (Maurice Crum and Rayshawn Jenkins are notables, Robert Marve a yuuuuge bust).

The whole state's full of good players, it's just a matter of prioritizing and selling the program.

Absolutely. I'm hoping we get the UVa transfer kid, who is from Windemere. Then we need to start picking up momentum in Orange County, with some selective dives into Seminole/Osceola/Volusia.

There are some big 8A high schools in Orlando. And fvck Poke County, until we can break the Gaytor stranglehold in Flakeland and remind those mo-fos that Ray Lewis went to Miami.

Advertisement
Back