Talking Salary - ACC Coaches vs SEC and the rest

You have no clue.
Help me with math...

T Boone, worth a reported $6B at the height of his energy and corporate raider investments, donated $1B alone to Okie St U.

With B, yes billion dollars. As the investments grew, the corpus of his remainimg funds (because OSU athletics spent $265M off the top) have again exceeded $1B in value.

Add the zero, plus a zero, carry the zero, counting on my fingers.... T Boone has rolled into OSU resources in the neighborhood of $2B+.

The Soffers, as in the whole family, are also billionaires (and Jeffy was banging The Body for a while). While generous, I'm fairly certain their contributions to our Miami have not yet quite reached that mark.

So about that 5 times thing...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Help me with math...

T Boone, worth a reported $6B at the height of his energy and corporate raider investments, donated $1B alone to Okie St U.

With B, yes billion dollars. As the investments grew, the corpus of his remainimg funds (because OSU athletics spent $265M off the top) have again exceeded $1B in value.

Add the zero, plus a zero, carry the zero, counting on my fingers.... T Boone has rolled into OSU resources in the neighborhood of $2B+.

The Soffers, as in the whole family, are also billionaires (and Jeffy was banging The Body for a while). While generous, I'm fairly certain their contributions to our Miami have not yet quite reached that mark.

So about that 5 times thing...
The soffers alone could’ve bought out Pickens 3x over at his death. The man is DEAD. What a joke using the peak. This BOT was completely different then. The argument Is over your naive comment that UM can’t compete monetarily to pay coaches. I know first hand from the horses mouth Diaz was given the resources to bring in whoever he wanted. This is what he did and it’s 💯 on him now.

The soffers alone could’ve bought out Pickens 3x over at his death. The man is DEAD. What a joke using the peak. This BOT was completely different then. The argument Is over your naive comment that UM can’t compete monetarily to pay coaches. I know first hand from the horses mouth Diaz was given the resources to bring in whoever he wanted. This is what he did and it’s 💯 on him now.
You aren't big on taking Ls. Math is hard for you yes, we get it.

T Boone gave away to various causes, reportedly over $7B during his time. The Soffers collectively aren't worth, nor have they ever been worth, $21B... guess what... collectively they are estimated at $2B shy, even have the stock run up of 2020, of T Boone in previous year dollars--that would put them in $4-5B range (if only to have such problems). Goodness, did you skip math?

If you'd like to stick to "they can buy him over, (remember an entire family vs just) T Boone" after said oil cowboy gave it all away knock yourself out--but it strikes of a apples vs knucklehead comparison. I'd even grant you the point if T Boone ****ed it all away on hookers and blow, but alas, he did not.

Curious, Bill and Melinda Gates (including The Oracle of Omaha) have pledged to give away all their wealth (... ok.. kinda sorta not really maybe) up to and upon their deaths.

Can the Soffer's buy them over x times? I'm not certain most (ok any non-muppets) would agree. Before you take another L, Gates' wealth increased (reported) just last month double what the entire Soffer clan is reported in total.

You come for the King, ya bettah not miss beta, ya fell me bruh*?

*Sooooo getting the hang if this lingo thing

And one last thing... Miami can't compete to pay ATM, UT, Bama, etc wages because the resources and will are simply not available. Are you in the same crowd who thinks their is some secret conspiracy at UM that just refuses to build an on-campus stadium too? Petty cash and just a single permit right?

🙄

I totally feel Bennett... goodness..

Last edited:
You aren't big on taking Ls. Math is hard for you yes, we get it.

T Boone gave away to various causes, reportedly over $7B during his time. The Soffers collectively aren't worth, nor have they ever been worth, $21B... guess what... collectively they are estimated at $2B shy, even have the stock run up of 2020, of T Boone in previous year dollars--that would put them in $4-5B range (if only to have such problems). Goodness, did you skip math?

If you'd like to stick to "they can buy him over, (remember an entire family vs just) T Boone" after said oil cowboy gave it all away knock yourself out--but it strikes of a apples vs knucklehead comparison. I'd even grant you the point if T Boone ****ed it all away on hookers and blow, but alas, he did not.

Curious, Bill and Melinda Gates (including The Oracle of Omaha) have pledged to give away all their wealth (... ok.. kinda sorta not really maybe) up to and upon their deaths.

Can the Soffer's buy them over x times? I'm not certain most (ok any non-muppets) would agree. Before you take another L, Gates' wealth increased (reported) just last month double what the entire Soffer clan is reported in total.

You come for the King, ya bettah not miss beta, ya fell me bruh*?

*Sooooo getting the hang if this lingo thing

And one last thing... Miami can't compete to pay ATM, UT, Bama, etc wages because the resources and will are simply not available. Are you in the same crowd who thinks their is some secret conspiracy at UM that just refuses to build an on-campus stadium too? Petty cash and just a single permit right?

🙄

I totally feel Bennett... goodness..
Pickens was barely worth 2 at his death. The Soffers are easily worth 7-10 with property value increases. The only L is you saying UM doesn’t have the resources to compete hiring staff. Don’t try and split the narrative son. In may original post I wasn’t only including them either. Work on your reading comprehension.

Advertisement
I'm not arguing Hecht is a mess. There is absolutely no reason Miami is not in the top third of the ACC in all sports. Inexcusable that even Women's soccer is awful. We accept getting knocked out in first round of NCAA women's basketball tournament year in/year out. So yes it is unacceptable and mismanaged.

Only conference that would improve our situation in the P5 would be the SEC. You think we are more competitive there if properly run? Or the SEC wants Miami?

Call me when Miami draws +80k per football game and 9k for basketball. You don't think Florida, who has over 400k alumni has significantly fund raising advantages over Miami's 190K?
I think if Miami were winning big, you wouldn’t be able to buy a ticket (exaggerating a bit). The recipe for generating big revenue is to win, market, and invest back in your product.

Certain people at Miami took Miami’s revenue from their last big push and spent it on pet projects not football. Losing the Orange Bowl was a travesty and should have never happened. I love the new renovations at Hard Rock but they should’ve overhauled the Orange Bowl. Sorry still bitter about that.

Imagine if those funds would've been used properly to hire a legit coach (not Coker), where would we be at right now?

Last edited:
I think if Miami were winning big, you wouldn’t be able to buy a ticket (exaggerating a bit). The recipe for generating big revenue is to win, market, and invest back in your product.

Certain people at Miami took Miami’s revenue from their last big push and spent it on pet projects not football. Losing the Orange Bowl was a travesty and should have never happened. I love the new renovations at Hard Rock but they should’ve overhauled the Orange Bowl. Sorry still bitter about that.

Imagine if those funds would've been used properly to hire a legit coach (not Coker), where would we be at right now?

no one in the city is paying what UF would charge for that posters tickets. thats a fact w the fanbase. I remember in 01, when we were the biggest thing in CFB, we were still doing bring your kids to games for free deals. this city will never draw on a consistent basis as to what the other programs do (its a pro town that treats the teams like a pro sports team aka win and well show up for big games, don't win mehhhhh). we show up for big games/events not the mid tier ACC noon fest

also, city of miami had the deal done with the marlins before even really giving us a real choice to redo the OB.

Without a T Boone Pickens or Red McCombs, Miami (and most others) simply can't compete with the economics.

They can compete by hiring the right staff and spending money the right way however.
There’s a big assumption flaw in these discssions. The idea seems to be that success follows spending, as opposed to the reverse. What’s aspirin and what’s headache in this relationship? It’s probably a bit of ‘it depends.’ When your program wins like Clemson’s has, spending on staff will follow. But what was their staff number back when Dabo took over? I suspect it wasn’t as high relative to other programs as it is today. Coker was one of the highest paid coaches at one time. The reality is if the program performs, salaries will follow the success for a whole host of reasons. But it’s not at all clear that you cam easily huy success with salaries. You can buy competence and underspending can hurt you, but that’s the wrong comparison baseline, I’d suggest.

Anyhow, Miami could pay more if it won, and it could win if it invested more. But it’s been so poorly managed for so long we can lose sight of that reall issues and think it’s just salaries (it’s not).

There’s a big assumption flaw in these discssions. The idea seems to be that success follows spending, as opposed to the reverse. What’s aspirin and what’s headache in this relationship? It’s probably a bit of ‘it depends.’ When your program wins like Clemson’s has, spending on staff will follow. But what was their staff number back when Dabo took over? I suspect it wasn’t as high relative to other programs as it is today. Coker was one of the highest paid coaches at one time. The reality is if the program performs, salaries will follow the success for a whole host of reasons. But it’s not at all clear that you cam easily huy success with salaries. You can buy competence and underspending can hurt you, but that’s the wrong comparison baseline, I’d suggest.

Anyhow, Miami could pay more if it won, and it could win if it invested more. But it’s been so poorly managed for so long we can lose sight of that reall issues and think it’s just salaries (it’s not).
UT and ATM are great recent examples of massive resources = zero nattys.

Advertisement
UT and ATM are great recent examples of massive resources = zero nattys.
A&M may break through. Jimbo is off to a good start. Texas has been ****ed up so ling they’re used to it. It’s become their culture. I happen to think it’d the logical place to build the next Alabama, but changing culture is really hard.

A&M may break through. Jimbo is off to a good start. Texas has been ****ed up so ling they’re used to it. It’s become their culture. I happen to think it’d the logical place to build the next Alabama, but changing culture is really hard.
Saban-esque program* + UT resources = Longhorns win AFC South, AFC CG, and beat the NFC opponent 100-0.

Their 3rd stringers mop up undefeated in NCAA and win natty....

*obviously Nicky didn't do to wrll in NFL

Advertisement
Saban-esque program* + UT resources = Longhorns win AFC South, AFC CG, and beat the NFC opponent 100-0.

Their 3rd stringers mop up undefeated in NCAA and win natty....

*obviously Nicky didn't do to wrll in NFL
It’s a quirk of math but if you limit to 25 Ics, im not sure texas can really so much better than alabama is doing in recruiting. They have a bigger home state to recruit in (shared by A&M and Oklahoma), but Alabama gets the most densely football populated area of the country (LA over to FL and up to TN). That said I do think TX could get to that level and if thry owned the West Coast also, surpass it.

It’s a quirk of math but if you limit to 25 Ics, im not sure texas can really so much better than alabama is doing in recruiting. They have a bigger home state to recruit in (shared by A&M and Oklahoma), but Alabama gets the most densely football populated area of the country (LA over to FL and up to TN). That said I do think TX could get to that level and if thry owned the West Coast also, surpass it.
PAC12 has missed so far on huge untapped opportunity--Asia.

Larry Scott attempted, but failed, to get an NBA-like media deal for that weak-*** conference along the Pacific Ocean that supposedly plays American football.

If a conference pulls that off, watch out because it will be worth $Bs...multiple $Bs over time...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back