Talking Salary - ACC Coaches vs SEC and the rest

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
From an article published on FSU Rivals site:

With questions looming about Florida State's commitment to football and the financial hurdles facing the athletics department, the Seminoles continue to be among the biggest spenders in the Atlantic Coast Conference when it comes to coaches' salaries.

The Seminoles do lag far behind conference leader Clemson, however. And there is a growing disparity between what the ACC spends on coaches, compared to the Southeastern Conference and the Big Ten, according to the USA Today's coaching salaries database, which was updated this month.

Head coach Mike Norvell's scheduled salary of $4 million in 2020 barely ranks in the top 25 percent of all FBS head coaches -- with most of the highest-paid coaches coming from those two aforementioned leagues. Meanwhile, the salary pool for FSU's assistant coaches ranks second in the ACC and a very respectable 15th nationally.

As private Universities, Miami, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest and Duke do not have to disclose this information

As a group, the Seminoles' 10 assistant coaches made $5,355,750 for this contract year.

That is well below Clemson, which leads the conference with a $7.64 million payroll for assistant coaches, but it's more than each of other public universities in the league. (Private schools such as Boston College, Syracuse and Miami do not have to disclose salaries as public records.)

Based on the terms of his contract, Norvell was scheduled to rank 30th nationally in salary this year. But after taking a voluntary reduction to offset losses caused by the coronavirus pandemic, Norvell actually will end up making just over $3.5 million, which ranks 39th.

His pay for 2020 is about 30 percent less than former head coach Willie Taggart's previous deal, which called for $5 million per year.

With his reduced salary, Norvell sits fifth in the ACC behind Dabo Swinney ($8.26 million) at Clemson, Justin Fuente ($4.25 million) at Virginia Tech, Pat Narduzzi ($4.08 million) at Pitt, and Bronco Mendenhall ($3.84 million) at Virginia.

What might be most alarming to FSU fans is how low those numbers compare to head coaches in the Southeastern Conference and the Big Ten -- the two conferences that have the richest television contracts.

Norvell's original salary would rank 12th in the Southeastern Conference; it falls to 13th when the pandemic reduction is taken into account. His deal would tie for 11th in the Big Ten.

FSU's assistant coaches -- as a staff -- fare better much from a national perspective.

The Seminoles don't have one of the nation's 50 highest-paid coordinators individually, but they rank 15th overall in staff compensation (not including private schools, such as Notre Dame, Miami, etc).

As a group, FSU's assistants would rank fourth in the Big Ten and ninth in the SEC.

When it comes to individual contracts, Florida State's highest-paid assistant, defensive coordinator Adam Fuller, made $788,000 from a scheduled $800,000. That ranks 55th nationally.

For comparison, Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables ranks fourth at nearly $2.2 million after taking a $240,000 reduction. Tigers offensive coordinator Tony Elliott made $1.52 million.

Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham made $1.81 million, while the Gators paid their assistant coaches $6.3 million as a staff.

USA Today also charted salaries for football strength coaches, and FSU's Josh Storms ranked fifth in the ACC at $300,000 per year. Clemson led the conference in pay for that position at $600,000, while Florida pays $450,000.

ACC assistant coach salary pool
RankSchool2020 contract year total
No, 1Clemson$7,641,500
No. 2Florida State$5,355,750
No. 3North Carolina$4,868,415
No. 4Louisville$4,555,000
No. 5N.C. State$3,957,436
No. 6Virginia Tech$3,595,000*
No. 7Virginia$3,572,868
No. 8Georgia Tech$3,236,000

SEC assistant coach salary pool
RankSchool2020 contract year total
No. 1Alabama$8,850,000
No. 2Texas A&M$7,503,197
No. 3LSU$7,461,950
No. 4Georgia$7,244,000
No. 5Auburn$6,760,000
No. 6Tennessee$6,312,292
No. 7Florida$6,300,000
No. 8Kentucky$5,781,100
No. 9South Carolina$5,095,792
No. 10Arkansas$5,036,250
No. 11Missouri$4,840,875
No. 12Ole Miss$4,753,125
No. 13Mississippi State$4,300,000

Advertisement
Miami paid Mark Richt a salary of $3,990,734 back in 2018.

That information IS publicly available and DOES have to be disclosed... contrary to what these idiot bloggers and reporters keep saying.

UM is required to file form 990 for tax purposes, and they are required to list the highest paid employees. So yeah, you can see what Miami is paying their head football and basketball coaches.

The fact that the author of this article couldn't be bothered to do his research and went with the whole "well they're a private university, so they don't have to disclose, derp derp" makes me think the whole article is unresearched bull****.

I bet if I dig a bit, I can find out what they pay their assistants too. They have to have an athletics budget somewhere. But who has time for that ****.

Without a T Boone Pickens or Red McCombs, Miami (and most others) simply can't compete with the economics.

They can compete by hiring the right staff and spending money the right way however.

Advertisement
Without a T Boone Pickens or Red McCombs, Miami (and most others) simply can't compete with the economics.

They can compete by hiring the right staff and spending money the right way however.

Miami has one of the biggest brands in all of sports. They could compete with the economics, if they were run by competent people who knew how to leverage the brand value and turn it in to money.

The problem is that the people who run this university and the athletics program are terrible at their job. UM athletic department is horribly managed. That's the reason we don't have money like the big boys.

These ***** think the only way for the football program to make money is through donations. So they cry about how we're small and nobody gives them any money.

But A.) why would anyone donate when the guy running the show, the guy coming to us hat in hand asking for money is Blake James, first-time AD and former ticket salesman and B.) there are a ton of other ways to make money besides asking for free handouts.... for example TV deals, jumping conferences, merchandising, corporate sponsorships, etc etc.

But Miami doesn't do any of that **** because they're horribly managed.

So wrong. Miami has the money to compete with anyone. Multiple boosters and BOT members who are football fans could buy the late Pickens 5 times over.

Advertisement
Clemson announced several new staff hires and salary increases approved by their BOT

Tony Elliott, Assistant HC, OC/TE coach, received a three year contract extension and salary bump from $1.6 million to $2.0 million, beginning in July 2021.

He is now only the 2nd OC to earn $2.0 million or more, joining Steve Sarkisan (Bama).
Elliott, Brent Venables, and Mike Elko are the only active coordinators making $2 million-plus a year.

Clemson passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter received a $25,000 increase from $590,000 to $615,000 on Thursday.

Former Tigers running back C.J. Spiller was named an official member of Clemson's coaching staff. He will coach RBs and be paid $300,000 per year.

So wrong. Miami has the money to compete with anyone. Multiple boosters and BOT members who are football fans could buy the late Pickens 5 times over.
The BOT is made up of a lot of people, some more interested in football than others. I don’t think any of them is laying down 5x Pickens money for a coach.

That being said, money isn’t the issue. They can obviously staph the team w good coaches. Decision making has been the issue... hopefully those issues are also solved.

Advertisement
I'm just here to bytch:

Clemson's OC just got a raise to 2mil per year during a pandemic. A public university. What the absolute **** man. I don't need help understanding it; I'm saying it ridiculous and tasteless during this time being that it's a public institution.

I'm just here to bytch:

Clemson's OC just got a raise to 2mil per year during a pandemic. A public university. What the absolute **** man. I don't need help understanding it; I'm saying it ridiculous and tasteless during this time being that it's a public institution.
Didn’t he leave to the nfl?

Advertisement
50D7988C-2978-4785-93FC-DA306F9D4E63.png

Just to prove @RightSaidFred ’s point. That was remarkably easy

Miami has one of the biggest brands in all of sports. They could compete with the economics, if they were run by competent people who knew how to leverage the brand value and turn it in to money.

The problem is that the people who run this university and the athletics program are terrible at their job. UM athletic department is horribly managed. That's the reason we don't have money like the big boys.

These ***** think the only way for the football program to make money is through donations. So they cry about how we're small and nobody gives them any money.

But A.) why would anyone donate when the guy running the show, the guy coming to us hat in hand asking for money is Blake James, first-time AD and former ticket salesman and B.) there are a ton of other ways to make money besides asking for free handouts.... for example TV deals, jumping conferences, merchandising, corporate sponsorships, etc etc.

But Miami doesn't do any of that **** because they're horribly managed.
I'm not arguing Hecht is a mess. There is absolutely no reason Miami is not in the top third of the ACC in all sports. Inexcusable that even Women's soccer is awful. We accept getting knocked out in first round of NCAA women's basketball tournament year in/year out. So yes it is unacceptable and mismanaged.

Only conference that would improve our situation in the P5 would be the SEC. You think we are more competitive there if properly run? Or the SEC wants Miami?

Call me when Miami draws +80k per football game and 9k for basketball. You don't think Florida, who has over 400k alumni has significantly fund raising advantages over Miami's 190K?

Last edited:
I'm not arguing Hecht is a mess. There is absolutely no reason Miami is not in the top third of the ACC in all sports. Inexcusable that even Women's soccer is awful. We accept getting knocked out in first round of NCAA women's basketball tournament year in/year out. So yes it is unacceptable and mismanaged.

Only conference that would improve our situation in the P5 would be the SEC. You think we are more competitive there if properly run? Or the SEC wants Miami?

Call me when Miami draws +80k per football game and 9k for basketball. You don't Florida, who has over 400k alumni has significantly fund raising advantages over Miami's 190K?

There is no comparing the makeup of those alumni as well.

There is no comparing the makeup of those alumni as well.
Another issue is boosters. I have 2 seats in club. I have to look but I think I have to give $200. Those same 2 seats at Florida would be well over grand as a booster donation. Guarantee you most of Florida's non-students attendees are alums. At Miami almost all are not. You could not get away with charging that to a Miami season ticket holder.

Advertisement
Back