Talent vs CoRching

streetja

UM HC: Miami Natives Only 😎
I think today's game goes a long way in shutting up the conspiracy theorists claiming we have no talent.

The difference that led to today's performance is that the scarecrow finally got a brain and for the first time this season Richt played to his offense's strengths.

My biggest takeaway as to what contributed to the improvement was that the PASSING game set up the RUNNING game. Today's game saw a ratio of 57% pass to 43% run. Of our 6 games now against P5 opponents, only the VT game matched that ratio - due to us trailing for so much of that game. All other games had us running the ball more in conservative Pastor Richt style. From the get go of todays game you knew that Richt learned his lesson.

While our run game still sucks, and we had to suffer infuriating overthrows, dropped balls, boneheaded mistakes, and we faced a very poor defense, we got the game plan many of us have been asking for and it got us the result we expected.

Advertisement
I think today's game goes a long way in shutting up the conspiracy theorists claiming we have no talent.

The difference that led to today's performance is that the scarecrow finally got a brain and for the first time this season Richt played to his offense's strengths.

My biggest takeaway as to what contributed to the improvement was that the PASSING game set up the RUNNING game. Today's game saw a ratio of 57% pass to 43% run. Of our 6 games now against P5 opponents, only the VT game matched that ratio - due to us trailing for so much of that game. All other games had us running the ball more in conservative Pastor Richt style. From the get go of todays game you knew that Richt learned his lesson.

While our run game still sucks, and we had to suffer infuriating overthrows, dropped balls, boneheaded mistakes, and we faced a very poor defense, we got the game plan many of us have been asking for and it got us the result we expected.

Have to look at the number of dropped passes, blown assignments, bad routes, pathetic effort, holding ball too long, lack of rb vision, missed fgs etc before you look at Richts play calling. Much of the aforementioned is solved by better talent. We've been in position to win every game but one and poor execution did us in virtually every time. I put play calling way down on the list of reasons for being bad.

Yep. We lined up in shotgun and let Kaaya find a rhythm. We do that from the get-go and we're probably 6-2, 7-1.

Have to look at the number of dropped passes, blown assignments, bad routes, pathetic effort, holding ball too long, lack of rb vision, missed fgs etc before you look at Richts play calling. Much of the aforementioned is solved by better talent. We've been in position to win every game but one and poor execution did us in virtually every time. I put play calling way down on the list of reasons for being bad.

That's Goldenesque excuse making. Blame players not coaches, Al would be real proud of you.

Our losses this year have not been for a "lack of effort". Today's improved performance was not due to us suddenly not making mistakes, dropping passes, or blown assignments - we still had all of those as we did in our losses.

There was obviously a change in game plan today. We saw quicker releases for Kaaya, less running the ball between the tackles, more plays out of the shotgun, less running on first downs, etc... etc...

Like I said in OP, we passed more and ran less, and it's as simple a change that was needed to finally get a better performance.

Advertisement
So ... does this mean Richt can keep calling plays?

Or does he still need to hire a new OC for next season to appease some of you?

Same exact play calling but better execution. The differences today were Kaaya moving in the pocket and scrambling for a few yards, catching the football, RBs finding yards instead of running up the OL's ***, defense forcing turnovers, etc.

Same exact play calling but better execution. The differences today were Kaaya moving in the pocket and scrambling for a few yards, catching the football, RBs finding yards instead of running up the OL's ***, defense forcing turnovers, etc.

Oh no, streetja disagrees, the coach with 10 10 win seasons didn't know how to run an offense and players were playing like all pros up to this point. Must be hard to be a blind football fan. Sure the radio play by play is good but it's not the same as actually watching what happens on the field.

Oh no, streetja disagrees, the coach with 10 10 win seasons didn't know how to run an offense and players were playing like all pros up to this point. Must be hard to be a blind football fan. Sure the radio play by play is good but it's not the same as actually watching what happens on the field.

Exactly. Apparently Kaaya said they changed protections in practice this week too. Paid dividends. Also, Linder got hurt and we benefited there with him out.

Advertisement

So when we play in games that we don't go down 20 plus points like against ND and VT, our average pass/run ratio is 47% pass 53% run. Today's game was 57% pass and 43% run.

Today's game most resembled our game against Georgia Tech in that we were leading throughout the entire game. Know our run/pass ratio in that game? 41% Pass 59% Run.

But no, the numbers are lying and it's the same game plan.

The difference today was, Ric, finally took the chains off the offense and let them do what they do best. Throw the ball! Many of us have been saying if for a long time, get Kaaya in the gun, throw the ball till it opens up the running game. Forget the time of possession, we don't have the horses to run the ball to open up the passing game. Throw the ball and this team can win.

The difference is that we attacked them and established our passing game early and used our strength of having great skill talent with a very good qb if the blocking is there. This is the game planning we should have been running from the get go of the season.... you only run to set up the pass when you have a horrible qb... richt should have been doing this

Advertisement

So when we play in games that we don't go down 20 plus points like against ND and VT, our average pass/run ratio is 47% pass 53% run. Today's game was 57% pass and 43% run.

Today's game most resembled our game against Georgia Tech in that we were leading throughout the entire game. Know our run/pass ratio in that game? 41% Pass 59% Run.

Again, I can't fault you for not seeing what the ND defense was doing since you can only hear the game. We started moving the ball with the intermediate passes. Then the ND defense adjusted to take away the short and intermediate passing game. If Kaaya had thrown passes in that defense, dbs would have jumped routes and had INTs. That left deep passes and the run game as the only offense. Pressure got to Kaaya before he could hit deep routes so run game was only thing left for Richt. He tried to get the defense to respect the run to open the pass lanes and slow the rush, but our no vision RBs combined with a bad OL meant that ND could stop the run even when in a 100% pass defense. Pitt had frosh CBs that were getting beat deep, so they gave a huge cushion, opening up intermediate and short passes. I'll never make fun of blind people so if you need me to describe other games just let me know.

Again, I can't fault you for not seeing what the ND defense was doing since you can only hear the game. We started moving the ball with the intermediate passes. Then the ND defense adjusted to take away the short and intermediate passing game. If Kaaya thrown passes in that defense, dbs would have jumped routes and had INTs. That left deep passes and the run game as the only offense. Pressure got to Kaaya could hit deep routes so run game was only thing left for Richt. He tried to get the defense to respect the run to open the pass lanes and slow the rush, but our no vision RBs combined with a bad OL meant that ND could stop the run even when in a 100% pass defense. Pitt had frosh CBs and were getting beat deep, so they gave a huge cushion, opening up intermediate and short passes. I'll never make fun of blind people so if you need me to describe other games just let me know.

I think you're the one that's blind if you can't even address what I wrote in the last post you're directly quoting me on.

I just think he game planned for what Pitt's defense does which is sell out to stop the run. I doubt this is the offense we see the rest of the way unless we play similar schemes to what Pitt does.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back