Talent by Stars 2014 and beyond (Offense)

Ghandi

Junior
For this little exercise, I'll use the 247 Composite ranking since its an aggregate of all the services.

LT: Ereck Flowers (4*), Sonny Odogwu (3*), KC McDermott (4*)
LG: Jon Feliciano (Not Rated), Taylor Gadbois (3*), Alex Gall (3*)
C: Shane McDermott (Not Rated), Hunter Knighton (3*), Nick Linder (3*)
RG: Danny Isidora (4*), Trevor Darling (4*)
RT: Trevor Darling (4*), Sonny Odogwu (3*), Reilly Gibbons (4*)

Note: Until the recruiting here gets better and more heralded kids are accumulated, the Canes will continue to get mushed on the OL when the competition goes up a step or two. The interior of the line in particular is missing serious talent. This is the reason why this team cant get 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.

QB: Ryan Williams (Not Rated), Kevin Olsen (4*), Brad Kaaya (4*)

Note: Unless Olsen/Kaaya hit, like the OL, this position is filled with busted lottery tickets and "maybe the light goes on" guys. Otherwise, this position and DT is what hangs on the neck of the program like an anchor.

RB: Duke Johnson (4*), Dallas Crawford (4*), Gus Edwards (3*), Joe Yearby (4*), Brandon Powell (3*)

Note: In South FL, and at Miami, this is what a god**** skill position depth chart should look like. There is only one guy with size here which needs to be addressed quickly.

WR - X: Stacey Coley (4*), Philip Dorsett (4*), Malcolm Lewis (4*)
WR - Y: Herb Waters (4*), D'Mauri Jones (3*), Tyre Brady (3*)
WR - Slot: Malcolm Lewis (4*), Braxton Berrios (4*)

Note: Front line guys (Coley, Waters, Lewis) are only going to be around two more years max AND the recruiting after them gets very light. This position becomes a big priority talent wise (not numbers wise) in 2015.

TE - Clive Walford (Not Ranked), Standish Dobard (4*), Beau Sandland (4*), Jake O'Donnell (2*)

Note: Young talent is at a serious premium here. Sandland/Walford are Seniors. Dobard is the only here that has any ceiling (I've seen O'Donnell on a couple of occasions)....guy is always getting slapped around out there.

There is just not enough front line talent here to compete for the ACC (Clemson/FSU/UNC/Louisville) much less national titles. This offensive roster represents, at best, a 9/10 win team if it had a god**** defense to pair up with. It doesnt, which is the real issue here. The coaching here sucks...so we will need to outclass people, not out-scheme or out coach them.

There is not enough talent here to outclass anyone right now.

Summary:
5* starters/2 Deep: 0
4* starters/2 Deep: 11
3* starters/2 Deep: 4
2* starters/2 Deep: 0
1* starters/2 Deep: 0
Not Ranked starters/2 Deep: 4

Advertisement
I appreciate the exercise, but do you think we have enough talent to outclass #10 UCF considering your method? I would imagine they look less talented when you consider star ratings.

I appreciate the exercise, but do you think we have enough talent to outclass #10 UCF considering your method? I would imagine they look less talented when you consider star ratings.

On the surface, yes Miami (in a regular year) would be much more talented than UCF.

It's not every year that a school finds a Top 5 pick in the NFL Draft running a wing-t offense in Oviedo, FL. Outside of this year, UFC has been a perennial 9 win team that plays in what amounts to the Conference USA.

That actually speaks more to coaching/scheme/luck than it does to the overall composition of the roster. I'd be willing to bet $ to gooch lint that UCF gets much more out of Muhamad, McCord, Howard, ect. than Miami ever can with this current staff.

Dallas was a 4 star DB...at RB if I had to guess would have been a 3 at best....but nice work
Repped

But Saftey and QB you need SMART GUYS...we are lacking that.

Look at the BCS games and what was the difference in offense and Defense....winners and losers

stop looking at the stars and think they're just gonna become superstar players. its more about talent development than star rankings.

Advertisement
stop looking at the stars and think they're just gonna become superstar players. its more about talent development than star rankings.

This isn't 2005 anymore, sir.

Look at all of the successful programs over the last decade.

Stars = Talent the majority of the time.

we had a ton of stars in 08 that amounted to nothing. talent development is a big key in making those stars worth a ****.

Kinda lost credibility with your comment on the O-line. Our best "mauler" and the guy who gets pushed around the least is an "unranked" recruit.

And for the last time... (well probably not)

We don't get pushed around. We whiff on blocks. Nobody is pushing our guys around, they're beating us with speed. We're not able to lock on. And many times, when he have a failed short yardage situation you can watch the tape and see that the breakdown usually occurs on the TE's block or the Center's block.

Kinda lost credibility with your comment on the O-line. Our best "mauler" and the guy who gets pushed around the least is an "unranked" recruit.

We don't get pushed around. We whiff on blocks. Nobody is pushing our guys around, they're beating us with speed. We're not able to lock on. And many times, when he have a failed short yardage situation you can watch the tape and see that the breakdown usually occurs on the TE's block or the Center's block.

I don't completely disagree with you (Zone/Reach Scheme versus what we have), but their inability to hold up to direct pressure (the Louisville/FSU/Duke games come to mind) as examples of them getting physically beat. I don't have tape or a direct line to the OL meeting room like you do obviously.

When I see the line of scrimmage get pushed back into the backfield on 3rd and short/4th and short power plays or dives (which my perception tells me its often enough given our conversion rates this year)...I tend to think the lack of top end talent is hurting here.

Advertisement

Also OL is the one aspect of the ranking system that still is the weakest. Stars matter least at this position....

Also OL is the one aspect of the ranking system that still is the weakest. Stars matter least at this position....

I've never seen any data to suggest otherwise, so I can't really comment here sir.

Advertisement

we had a ton of stars in 08 that amounted to nothing. talent development is a big key in making those stars worth a ****.

You cant just have 1 class full of star talent you need 4 and 5 consecutive classes with star talent.

Advertisement
we should rank what our guys r playing like right now compared to what they were ranked in high school (ex: five star howard playing like a 4/3/2/1/unranked)

Stars have nothing to do with being in the bottom 3rd of college football. When your trying to overcome the elite thats when it matters and you have hit your ceiling.

Where we are lacking stars is in the coaching staff. No d - Unranked, Golden 2 star, Barrow, 3 star, Franklin unranked, kehoe 2 star, Coley 3 star, Carroll 3 star. Can we compete with that type of talent?

Advertisement
Back