Takeaways from UNC's Surprise Win Against South Carolina

Advertisement
God have mercy on Todd Stroud's soul should he fail to put constant pressure on Searles' OL.

God have mercy on Todd Stroud's soul should he fail to put constant pressure on Searles' OL.
Searles lines aren't a problem year 1. They are bad as the years progress. Maybe it's a recruiting problem & replacing talent. But I wouldnt hang my hat on their line in year 1 looking like our line in year 3.

Searles lines aren't a problem year 1. They are bad as the years progress. Maybe it's a recruiting problem & replacing talent. But I wouldnt hang my hat on their line in year 1 looking like our line in year 3.
We had some guys that were highly touted, and looked the part when he came in, it really should have yielded some draft picks. I think you are right though, the OL got worse every year. Our OL will take 2 or 3 seasons to right because of him, and that assumes Barry is the man for the job.

Advertisement
Same story last year and we got lucky and came backZ. They came out and smacked us in the first half last year. All records go out the window in that game. Idc how bad they look we still still have a hard time beating them
We got lucky or we just played a better second half than they played a first half?

FSU is trash. Their defense got gashed up.
You’re right. I spoke way too soon. Never count a team out until the fat lady sings. Amazing how they manage to blow that game. But they are still a rival opponent making stats obsolete.

We need to still play a clean game to win.

Advertisement
Fingers crossed. I'd I had your opinion of the Oline I probably wouldn't watch another game this season as we're on a hiding to nothing.

Let me fix for you.

Fingers crossed. If I had your opinion of the Oline I would keep watching the games this season to see the progression (or lack therebof). If tje Oline can improve to within even a 9-iron of average, Miami can be better than last season.

All better.

Our Oline is not that bad, if our QB gets rid of the ball when he’s supposed to, he only gets sacked 4 times in that game

You are spot on with everything you said. I keep pointing to what Manny said during Fall camp. It's about us.

The stadium will be packed. They will be confident. They will put up a good fight. However, it's about us . If we play to our standard, we should win by double digits easily. If we play down to our competition and let UNC hang around, then anything can happen. This is where the Canes have to turn the corner. You have to best 5he teams you're supposed to beat. If we want to be on the level of Clemson, then we need to dominate the Coastal teams.

Let's see if we've turned that corner.

Advertisement
You’re right. I spoke way too soon. Never count a team out until the fat lady sings. Amazing how they manage to blow that game. But they are still a rival opponent making stats obsolete.

We need to still play a clean game to win.
Rivalry games are overrated. We need to check our player's emotions before that game and just go in and **** em up.

Let me just preface this by saying that I'd early predicted that South Carolina would win this game easy by double-digits. I was dead wrong and didn't expect UNC to put up the game they did. In many ways, I also underestimated the "corch effect." Muschamp blows games like no other. Nevertheless, there are some big takeaways from this game.
  1. The UNC game just got a whole lot bigger. Kenan Stadium will be packed, and this UNC team will have confidence coming into our matchup. UNC showed today that they can compete at a far better level than last year.

2. UNC's QB, Sam Howell, showed toughness. This wasn't a clean game for the true freshman QB, but it was a good start. Surprisingly, SC's DL wasn't able to get consistent pressure on Howell or UNC's run game. I expect this to be different next week.

3. UNC's running game showed life. This was one of the bigger surprises of the day. UNC had a consistent run game and some big runs. Stacy Stearls OL did not look bad in its first outing. Whether they can maintain that level of efficiency throughout the season is TBD.

4. UNC's defense has shown big improvement. This unit was abjectly terrible last year and showed progress in their first outing of the 2019 campaign. Of course, it should be noted that this team was helped by bad QB play and Mark Richt level offensive play calling. South Carolina is a lot slower than we are, so it will be interesting to see how we fare in a week's time.

5. Will Muschamp is a terrible head coach. It's likely the beginning of the end of the Will Muschamp era in Columbia. It's inexcusable, in year four, to lose to a previously 2-9 team and entirely new coaching staff. Muschamp made multiple coaching mistakes in his game, and his team played scared. UNC made its share of mistakes but ultimately did just enough to pull out the win. Muschamp said, comically, before this game that this was the best SC team he had in his four years.

6. This is likely a 5 to 6 loss South Carolina team. While this was a great win for UNC, it was ultimately against a below-average South Carolina team. This is the same team that got blanked 28-0 by UVA in the Belk Bowl. This game tells us that UNC is no longer inept or terrible, but it doesn't tell us whether they're anything above average. Either way, we must be ready.
Overall, UNC will come into our game with a good amount of confidence. In evaluating SC, we certainly have a better defense than them and will give UNC a lot more problems than they got today. They won't be able to run the ball at ease like they did today, for example. We also won't have anemic Mark Richt level playcalling (SC's OC is a Richt disciple) which will be a big difference from what UNC faced today. The difference in speed between Miami and South Carolina is notable.

While UNC has shown some big improvement, people shouldn't be overreacting to this one game. This wasn't a great South Carolina team, and Will Muschamp did about everything he could to lose this game.

Our team must be prepared and ready for a dogfight, but we'll still be the favorite going in. This game is vital for our ACC coastal aspirations.
Lots of good stuff there.

I think the biggest point to be made from the USC loss as well as the performance of the SEC in general, is the fact that they're just not as good as the media (ESPN) makes them out to be anymore, and the old gauntlet of the sec schedule can only be used sparingly anymore

At this point I'm not bragging about the ACC schedule but the the best football is the country is being played in the southeast period....now, I'm sure Oklahoma and Penn, or Ohio State, maybe even Utah wants to say something about that, but that's not my point.

If you can recruit and compete in the southeast than your doing a **** of a job.

The days of this SEC biased supremacy are gone, and I love it.

So...did UNC only beat South Carolina because Jake Bentley suffered a foot injury that will sideline him indefinitely?

Advertisement
I'm 50x more nervous for this game than I was at any point for the gator game.

This game is incredibly important for a multitude of reasons.

Rivalry games are overrated. We need to check our player's emotions before that game and just go in and **** em up.
I hear you. Their DF was Swiss cheese in that second half. Hope we don’t play down to those clowns. Taggart might not make it out this year as coach if they lose games in that fashion. He don’t have this team mentality tough to survive a team blows instead they fold like last year. The guy is in over his head.

Let the Fire and Brimstone of CIS posters rain down on Coach Stroud our dlone has regressed and Coach Baker uses to many dline stunts and twists considering how good our dline can be straight up. They don't need to stunt or twist it negates their 1st step quickness to shouting gaps.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back