Takeaways & Analysis - Week 1

FL Cane

Senior
It sucks to lose, especially when you're blown off of the line from the first snap of the game. Mercifully though, this game does not define or impact the trajectory of this season. Here's the reality, there are 130 FBS teams in college football, and only three (Clemson, Georgia, and OSU) can hold a candle to Alabama. There's the Top 2% of the college football world, and then there's everyone else. For the past 15+ years, we've been everyone else. Nobody expected Miami to win this game, and our path to the ACCCG isn't impacted whatsoever by this loss. The only thing that this game was indicative of is that Bama is among the college football gods, and we're not.

Even considering today's dumpster fire, here are some takeaways from the game:

• Rhett Lashlee did a horrendous job with his game plan and playcalling. We wasted so many early drives trying to establish the run against the best front seven in the country. It was never going to work. We had some minor success when we started airing it out a bit, but Lashlee would always go back to the run and kill our momentum. He's proven to be great against the NC State's of the world, but he's sucked against good competition.

• Manny got worked by Bill O'Brien. Bama marched up and down the field at will and only cooled off in the second half because they took their foot off the pedal.

• As is expected with a Manny defense, tackling was subpar. Bama shed the first and even second tackle multiple times before they were down.

• DL generated some push up-front, but there's no one on that line that's elite. Against the rest of our schedule, they should be fine.

• Our secondary was swiss cheese. Bama had no problem airing it out. For all the talk of Ivey improving this offseason, he looked like the same old Ivey. Gurvan Hall also got burned multiple times, we need to give the young guys reps at safety (the young guys actually looked good).

• LB's were the same old same old. No reason why Jennings and Steed should be getting any reps. Keontra Smith showed signs of life though. If our LB's are going to ever take a step up he'll be leading the charge.

• King didn't look 100%. I don't know what is was but he just didn't have the intensity he usually does. Hoping to see him shine starting next week.

• Cam Harris is the Mike James of this team. Not bad, but not great. Chaney should be getting the overwhelming majority of reps.

• Our WR's are way improved from last year. We have a solid group of four guys there that can play. They should do well in ACC play.

• OL got worked, but it's against Bama so hard to tell how much better or worse they are.

• Continues to blow my mind that we have a TE like Mallory and Lashlee REFUSES to involve him more. There's no reason why he shouldn't be getting at least 7-8 targets a game.
Overall, with the type of competition we played, it's hard to tell where we stand. This is a team with the personnel to go 10-2/9-3. However, it's all about whether our coaches can put it together. Nobody else on our schedule comes within 200 yards of Bama as a team. In an ideal world we should go 11-1. However, I have us pegged at 10-2. Even though we got rocked today, it was by the literal gods of college football. Down the stretch, we should be fine. If we're not in the ACCCG this year, Manny needs to get the boot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'll piggyback off your post...

Lashlee is really bad at gameplaying against top teams .
No creativity limited 2 tight-end set

Bama LB was tall shinny but fast.
Miami LB is short and slow.

Positives:
Did not see Pope or Wiggins
Chaney runs hard and delivers blows.
didn’t see any significant injuries- maybe Harley?
Two freshman safeties look really good
Bubba’s targeting was first half so he will be available next week
Great kicking game.

Excuses.. I didn't see anything I liked except
#2 is physical as ****

#21 might have a better year than I gave him credit for

I like #81 on defense and # 0

I like #5 on offense and #7

The rest of the guys will all be working at staples or whatever job once they graduate. A lot of sorry 5th and 6th year guys.

Advertisement
King played with heart always does, receivers caught what was thrown to them, Cam sucks, Chaney is much better, he runs hard and finds space, OL isn't good, Scaife is horrible getting Jarrid Williams back will help. Our tackling sucks, we're not physical and get out muscled. Hall is average at best, would like to see James Williams or Kinchens play more and definitely looking forward to Avante getting on the field. Our coaching is horrible and always is, Manny is not the answer as HC, I always said this. He is a DC, nothing more.

read lots of threads and the reactions are just funny. hate on me don’t care y’all are p*ssies. we played #1 alabama the team that reloads every year and has won how many national championships since ‘09? sure it was embarrassing and frustrating to get blown off the field but really you’re giving up after one game vs the notorious best team in the country. pathetic, 11 more games left and unc is already 0-1 in acc play and people are acting like we can’t be successful.

Advertisement
read lots of threads and the reactions are just funny. hate on me don’t care y’all are p*ssies. we played #1 alabama the team that reloads every year and has won how many national championships since ‘09? sure it was embarrassing and frustrating to get blown off the field but really you’re giving up after one game vs the notorious best team in the country. pathetic, 11 more games left and unc is already 0-1 in acc play and people are acting like we can’t be successful.
Expect nothing else here at cis

Real talk…true Miami fans don’t give a **** about beating Virginia and NC State.

Alabama was the test, we didn’t pass. It is what it is.
a win vs bama would’ve been ecstatic but rlly why are you a miami fan if you don’t care about the wins vs teams we play every year ? those wins that “true miami fans” don’t care about contribute to us playing clemson another top team in the country. go watch someone else then d*mbass we don’t play anyone special that rest of the year don’t know what else to tell you

Advertisement
Real talk…true Miami fans don’t give a **** about beating Virginia and NC State.

Alabama was the test, we didn’t pass. It is what it is.
true fans are real ... bama is a helluva measuring stick ... we're not elite, plain and simple ... now the question becomes can we be very good

A lot of these posts feel like a copy paste of 2019. Run the table, competition won’t be as good as the gaytors blah blah blah.

Here’s the reality - It’s in our best interest for Mandy to not squeak out 9 wins. Stop the bleeding and delaying the inevitable. Flake Shames also goes out the door if he goes.

It sucks to lose, especially when you're blown off of the line from the first snap of the game. Mercifully though, this game does not define or impact the trajectory of this season. Here's the reality, there are 130 FBS teams in college football, and only three (Clemson, Georgia, and OSU) can hold a candle to Alabama. There's the Top 2% of the college football world, and then there's everyone else. For the past 15+ years, we've been everyone else. Nobody expected Miami to win this game, and our path to the ACCCG isn't impacted whatsoever by this loss. The only thing that this game was indicative of is that Bama is among the college football gods, and we're not.

• Rhett Lashlee did a horrendous job with his game plan and playcalling. We wasted so many early drives trying to establish the run against the best front seven in the country. It was never going to work. We had some minor success when we started airing it out a bit, but Lashlee would always go back to the run and kill our momentum. He's proven to be great against the NC State's of the world, but he's sucked against good competition.

• Manny got worked by Bill O'Brien. Bama marched up and down the field at will and only cooled off in the second half because they took their foot off the pedal.

• As is expected with a Manny defense, tackling was subpar. Bama shed the first and even second tackle multiple times before they were down.

• DL generated some push up-front, but there's no one on that line that's elite. Against the rest of our schedule, they should be fine.

• Our secondary was swiss cheese. Bama had no problem airing it out. For all the talk of Ivey improving this offseason, he looked like the same old Ivey. Gurvan Hall also got burned multiple times, we need to give the young guys reps at safety (the young guys actually looked good).

• LB's were the same old same old. No reason why Jennings and Steed should be getting any reps. Keontra Smith showed signs of life though. If our LB's are going to ever take a step up he'll be leading the charge.

• King didn't look 100%. I don't know what is was but he just didn't have the intensity he usually does. Hoping to see him shine starting next week.

• Cam Harris is the Mike James of this team. Not bad, but not great. Chaney should be getting the overwhelming majority of reps.

• Our WR's are way improved from last year. We have a solid group of four guys there that can play. They should do well in ACC play.

• OL got worked, but it's against Bama so hard to tell how much better or worse they are.

• Continues to blow my mind that we have a TE like Mallory and Lashlee REFUSES to involve him more. There's no reason why he shouldn't be getting at least 7-8 targets a game.
Overall, with the type of competition we played, it's hard to tell where we stand. This is a team with the personnel to go 10-2/9-3. However, it's all about whether our coaches can put it together. Nobody else on our schedule comes within 200 yards of Bama as a team. In an ideal world we should go 11-1. However, I have us pegged at 10-2. Even though we got rocked today, it was by the literal gods of college football. Down the stretch, we should be fine. If we're not in the ACCCG this year, Manny needs to get the boot.
Hard to tell diaz coaches like a btch? When we play some worth a **** **** nut up . Time to dend his *** packing . Why wait hes flat @ss trash .

Advertisement
I stand by in winning the Coastal or else wipe the floor with Manny Diaz. He’s had plenty of time to produce an above average team, not a mediocre one.

King isn't the answer. As much as he tries, he isn't going to be the "guy". I don't think he would start for any of the top 25 teams. He isn't helped by the poor play calling.
he's horrible. you can't judge lashlee just based off king. King has no feel for the position, he locks onto a wr and throws it at him like a baseball. he's really overhyped and when you have cam there, it makes it worse.

King isn't the answer. As much as he tries, he isn't going to be the "guy". I don't think he would start for any of the top 25 teams. He isn't helped by the poor play calling.
Don’t like this take other than him not being helped by the playcalling, which is true. Is he a top 5 team QB? No, not really. But he would definitely start at a majority of the “top 25 teams”. His performance today is a direct result of 1) his ACL injury 2) **** playcalling 3) OL getting straight buttworked. Yeah he didn’t get past his 1st read a few times but a lot of that is him not feeling comfortable in the pocket. That is exactly what separates a “top 5” QB and what we don’t have and why the announcers kept slurping Bryce Young. He’s a freshman and feels totally comfortable even with a collapsed pocket. He always kept his eyes up field under pressure and was finding the open guy no problem. King isn’t the problem here is my point. The problem is a ‘slight’ talent disparity that is also exaggerated by lack of depth coupled with G5 level coaching and development.

Give us some better DBs (replace ivey and hall), and an elite O Line, Roche and Phillips back, and a little better coaching/game planning/and play CALLING and we go toe-to-toe with bama in that game.

I am convinced Lashlee is subpar for what we need to be successful at UM. He has no idea what he is doing similar to Diaz. His gameplan flat out sucked Alabama or not.

Advertisement
Back