Take on why Cristobal is moving slowly in the portal

FreePawn

Last ******* Week.
Matt Shodell has been harping on about this, and he has a point. The background is that kids only get one "free" (=no sit out for a year) transfer:

1) the next couple of years we are going to be up against the 85 cap hard;
2)
taking transfers that aren't bonafide studs and are underclassmen will put us in a predicament because they can't transfer out again....the reason being that, while there isn't even enough room for all the first time transfers in the portal, second-timers who have to sit out a year are going to be at an even more massive disadvantage when it comes to finding a landing spot, bordering on the impossible;
3) thus college coaches will be under enormous moral/ethical pressure not to force out former transfers who have not graduated yet but are surplus to requirements/blocking a spot for a freshman;
4) Miami will want to sign 25 kids each in the next two cycles (both loaded in SoFla, which will be the basis of Cristobals hopefully championship teams), but will have to jettison approx 28 non-seniors in order to do so.

This would explain why Cristobal isn't going after every Tom, **** and Harry out there.

What Shodell misses (this reasoning was why he criticised the Parrish take) is this: a kid like Parrish, who would have a very hard time transferring out, is a perfect depth piece. Solid but not good enough to displace/scare away other backs, but "stuck" here now because of the transfer rules.

Advertisement
Parrish is draft eligible after this season. I think his plan (again, HIS plan. The NFL may have a different plan) is to play this year here and bounce to the league. If this happens you're basically taking him on just a 1 year deal.

A huge factor is the influx of portal players you will see after spring practice.

The portal will be reloaded and we will have a staff in place.
Reloaded in numbers, but in terms of quality it'll be a lot of everyone's basura who couldn't hack the starting eleven after spring ball.

I personally think this window has been the most talented, this second wave.

Advertisement
Matt Shodel keeps talking about 85 cap. No one gives a **** about the cap. A&M, Bama, UGA could care less so wtf should we. Shodell trying to make a big deal of something that will work itself out. NCAA giving everyone an extra year will force change.

The waiver for being over the 85 scholarship limit runs through the 2022-2023 academic year. Which means teams have one last season before they have to be back to 85 scholarships.

No having a full staff hurts but I think this could be philosophical thing as well. I think Mario prefers to get High school kids than Load up on transfers players. I disagree with this strategy in a transition class but he’s getting talented HS players to join. The post spring portal wave will be big as well and hopefully we can hit on a few guys there after Mario sees this roster through a spring.

Reloaded in numbers, but in terms of quality it'll be a lot of everyone's basura who couldn't hack the starting eleven after spring ball.

I personally think this window has been the most talented, this second wave.
No. There’s good players every wave amd different reasons why kids leave. Including giving a new coach a try and not feeling it.

Advertisement
It seems to me that Mario is playing the long game currently and trying to build a solid foundation with the local area talent. He's really focused on strengthening those close relationships with all the 305 coaches/players with recruiting and also only taking transfers currently from South Fla wanting to come back home. Just my observation.

The waiver for being over the 85 scholarship limit runs through the 2022-2023 academic year. Which means teams have one last season before they have to be back to 85 scholarships.

This is EXACTLY the point, as that doesn't help for Mario's "first year bounce" class, as it expires before their first fall practice starts. Unless of course there's an extension. But a serious staff (kinda working under the assumption that's what we have now) will plan for the current scenario, which is no extension.

Matt Shodel keeps talking about 85 cap. No one gives a **** about the cap. A&M, Bama, UGA could care less so wtf should we. Shodell trying to make a big deal of something that will work itself out. NCAA giving everyone an extra year will force change.

Glad you're not in charge of monitoring, mamaging and working out our roster numbers.

This is EXACTLY the point, as that doesn't help for Mario's "first year bounce" class, as it expires before their first fall practice starts. Unless of course there's an extension. But a serious staff (kinda working under the assumption that's what we have now) will plan for the current scenario, which is no extension.
Teams that loaded up on kids in recent seasons might find themselves under the gun once the 85 limit kicks back in. EVERYONE got a free season in 2020, so that disrupted the regular cycle of incoming/outgoing scholarship players. I would NOT want to be a kid in the portal right now because teams aren't trying to add depth through transfers when they might have to trim fat in a year. The impact guys will find homes but a lot of the "borderline" type players are going to be left without a school once the season kicks off again.

Advertisement
Parrish is draft eligible after this season. I think his plan (again, HIS plan. The NFL may have a different plan) is to play this year here and bounce to the league. If this happens you're basically taking him on just a 1 year deal.
If he plays well enough to bounce to the NFL then it's a win-win for everyone.

Glad you're not in charge of monitoring, mamaging and working out our roster numbers.
You have to build the best roster by any means necessary. Matt Shodell freaking out about having to cut players a year from now is the last thing on my mind. This class is going to be small. Go look at our classes. We haven’t taken a full class of Freshman(25) since 2017 lol. Miami doesn’t have a numbers problem. The NCAA has a rule problem. How can Bama, A&M, and UGA take 25+ kids and transfers **** near every year for the past 4 years and not have a worry in the world about it? But Miami who has undersigned **** near every year have a looming roster nightmare?

Shodell wasting time. If he is right, every school will have to make major cuts next year to get to 85. That isn’t going to happen. What’s more likely is the NCAA expands the roster limits until the freshman Covid class graduates.

The last thing Mario is going to do is take a small 23’ class because of a flawed 85 scholarship rule.

Not having a full staff is the issue when it comes to this transfer portal szn. We can revisit after winter workouts and throughout spring

Advertisement
We need to do a better job trimming the fat off the roster every year. This coming year might be a little funky fresh off the extra covid year but after that, the bottom chunk of the roster has to be processed every winter. That also allows us to have those extra 7 transfer ICs available.

Maybe he has actually watched some of these kids and seen some film on this team and thought "There is some talent here, with improved coaching and better structure we could be a very good team this year." While watching this past year's team, I didn't see a team that was outclassed talent wise by anyone other than Bama. I was a team that sometimes didn't come out to play, a team that was discumbobulated, a defense that was lax and let the game come to them instead of attacking, a team that started out the season starting 5-10 guys who weren't as good as their backups. We've added a nice piece at DL, RB and WR and it seems like he is still looking for CB, DL and OL help.

I could be missing something, but the linked article has to do w/ the IC limits being expanded for (up to 7) transfers for one year, not the overall scholarship limit of 85 being expanded. The article starts with: "The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term." Admittedly, the article is a bit vague because they use language like "annual signing limit" and "initial scholarship limits" instead of the more familiar "initial counter" language, but I'm pretty sure that's what this article is referencing. And near the end of the article, the author expressly states the overall scholarship limit remains at 85 (though it is admittedly somewhat vague because the preceding sentence isn't specific about "the waiver"): "The waiver is effective immediately for the 2022-23 academic year only. The overall scholarship limit remains at 85 for the FBS and FCS."

I haven't seen anything out there to suggest the 85 cap on scholarship players has been waived for the upcoming season.

Advertisement
Back