Tackling

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
I know that Manny was teaching the new Rugby style tackling. This has started to be introduced to reduce concussions by putting your head behind the opponent. There are a few versions they teach, but I think it has resulted in our D being the worst in the nation.

I was taught to bring my head across the body and drive through the ball carrier. When you see great tackling defences that’s the way it looks. I didn’t see Georgia wrapping around their knees and doing a gator roll.

I’m not sure if there are any tackling videos from Spring Camp, but I sure hope that Kevin Steele is coaching them to tackle like an old school Cane D

Advertisement
I know that Manny was teaching the new Rugby style tackling. This has started to be introduced to reduce concussions by putting your head behind the opponent. There are a few versions they teach, but I think it has resulted in our D being the worst in the nation.

I was taught to bring my head across the body and drive through the ball carrier. When you see great tackling defences that’s the way it looks. I didn’t see Georgia wrapping around their knees and doing a gator roll.

I’m not sure if there are any tackling videos from Spring Camp, but I sure hope that Kevin Steele is coaching them to tackle like an old school Cane D
From the few clips released, it looks like it's old school head across.

Also, you will still drills for things like gator roll/dive swipe. Every defense runs a tackling circuit of some sort weekly and all of the different types of tackles get broken down. Same with a turnover circuit.

Now.....someone who coaches defense explain to me WTF Randy is teaching the non-binary folk up in Tallahassee. Skip to 5:20 below and tell me why an edge defender on a boot/roll out would run flat and wave his hand like he's hailing a cab...

I understand mirroring the throwing hand but running flat and not pressuring the QB seems like bad football. @Coach Macho what say you?

I don't think Rugby tackling is as much to blame as it was the coaching itself and the lack of time spent practicing and doing drills. As far as I know it is very predicated on being able to wrap up.

Advertisement
Manny originally taught to lead with the helmet and target the ball so as to cause a turnover. Now, leading with the helmet is illegal and he had to scramble in order to reduce targeting penalties.

Also, you will still drills for things like gator roll/dive swipe. Every defense runs a tackling circuit of some sort weekly and all of the different types of tackles get broken down. Same with a turnover circuit.

Now.....someone who coaches defense explain to me WTF Randy is teaching the non-binary folk up in Tallahassee. Skip to 5:20 below and tell me why an edge defender on a boot/roll out would run flat and wave his hand like he's hailing a cab...

I understand mirroring the throwing hand but running flat and not pressuring the QB seems like bad football. @Coach Macho what say you?

It's ***** hole football, who gives a fvck

Woody Harrelson Sony GIF by Zombieland

Advertisement
I think it was less about the technique taught and more about the lack of reps and intensity to the reps that were practiced. Heard live tackling was almost non-existent under "him".
That’s exactly what it was.

They barely ever were allowed to tackle live in practices, they pretty much just used “THUD” technique where they just lightly tap the ball carrier, akin to two-hand touch in PE. We basically played Flag Football in practice under Manny because we always had so many depth issues that he was afraid of getting anybody injured.

It was also the same thing he did at Texas, that’s why their Defense was so awful against the run too when he was there, which culminated in the BYU embarrassment where they gave up 550 yards rushing in a game & Mack Brown fired his ***.

Tackling is a mindset, technique matters a lot too, but it’s mainly about you teaching your defenders to attack the ball & the ball carrier. You have to teach them to dislodge the ball from the ball carrier & if you can’t get the ball from them, hit them soundly enough to where they go down anyway.

Manuela taught our Defense to just get in the way of the ball carrier & hope his momentum will bring him down, it was pretty much a centrifugal force Defense, where it wasn’t about actually stopping the runner, but rather just altering the course of the runners direction.

That’s why you would see so many of our guys get embarrassed by just throwing a lazy shoulder shot & would either get bulldozed or completely juked altogether. The UNC game was when it was the absolute worst, they were playing tackle football & we were playing Freeze tag, it was tragic smh.

Advertisement
I think it was less about the technique taught and more about the lack of reps and intensity to the reps that were practiced. Heard live tackling was almost non-existent under "him".

this.

there are some fundamentals to rugby tackling that are worthwhile.

it wasn't about "old school vs. rugby"

it was about a lot more than just that which led to our crap tackling.

(Pete Carroll and Seattle are big proponents of rugby tackling concepts. pretty sure they've been good on defense over the years).

Advertisement

Bruh….Gah****! WTH is that? I ain’t ever seen that **** before. Now, I admit I ain’t some DL guru and I don’t know erry DL drill out there, but that looks dumb as fucc. “Hailing a cab” is right! And to think…..we lost to ny99as that’s practicing **** like this! Mane… how!! How TF we lose to dese muhfuccas? I get mad as **** and wanna fire Manny *** again, errytime I see one they fucc *** practices…… knowing that we lost to dese *******. I could kicc Manny’s natural *** for this! 🤬🤬🤬 Sorry for the rant!

Last edited:
We gunna see if a new technique and practice style is gunna help ..personally I think missed tackles are on players taking horrible angles. Especially for us..and it’s about mentality. And we are Small ash on the 2nd level

I assure you rugby style tackling is not our Canes' problem.

In fact, if executed properly, very difficult/impossible for refs to call targeting...

Advertisement
Back