Tackling against NC.

canefan96

Redshirt Freshman
Saw this on Bleacher, tackling was hard to watch. When do you think Howell will ever run for 100 yards again.

PFF credited Miami with 23 missed tackles on the day as the team earned a 35.4 tackling grade on the game. It is a performance that was only better than the Michigan State game, when UM missed 30 tackles and earned a 26.6 tackling grade.

Advertisement
Literally, if Manny had just used the last eight months as defensive coordinator to teach his boys how to bring a guy down to the ground, he would still have his job for the rest of the year and probably next year.

You always hear the phrase, “you had one job! “And in Diaz’s case, all he had to do was get that done over the last eight or nine months.

The players literally learn how to not tackle under Manny. When Bubba first got here, and his first season, he was our best tackler hands-down. Now, the kid looks like an Adonis, but he is not a good player and not a consistent tackler like the one that he came in as.

Advertisement
I know that the final interception ended the game, but for me, the game really ended when Sam bullied our defense and bulldozed into the end zone on his final rushing touchdown. I mean, that was everything!

Two years in a row there are rushing highlights against UNC. I’m sure will see the same plays being played over and over during the draft.

This university never misses the opportunity to make a fool of itself.

Advertisement
Literally, if Manny had just used the last eight months as defensive coordinator to teach his boys how to bring a guy down to the ground, he would still have his job for the rest of the year and probably next year.

You always hear the phrase, “you had one job! “And in Diaz’s case, all he had to do was get that done over the last eight or nine months.

The players literally learn how to not tackle under Manny. When Bubba first got here, and his first season, he was our best tackler hands-down. Now, the kid looks like an Adonis, but he is not a good player and not a consistent tackler like the one that he came in as.

Manny never played the game and has no idea how it feels like when you are out on the field.....

The only analogy I can think of is shooting coach in basketball who keeps his players shooting spot up 3 pointers without movement during practice and then wondering why his team can't shoot above 20% from 3pt line. Movement requires the brain to process differently than static.

Theories of only tackling dummies without live hitting are just that.... live action tackling on game day requires live hitting at practice.

All this BS started a few years ago when TCU pushed the no live tackling in practice to avoid injuries nonsense and all the soft mamma boys in administration got involved... it was pushed as a radical idea.

Maybe it helped reduce injuries but the quality of defensive football from coaches who adopted it has been terrible.

Last edited:

It's a matter of how we practice. How we practice is a matter of what we value. And, what we value is a matter of leadership. Leadership is selected by the top level guys. As crappy as Manny has been for taking a role too big for his abilities, the shame should consistently be pointed at the top level leadership of this University.

Advertisement
I know that the final interception ended the game, but for me, the game really ended when Sam bullied our defense and bulldozed into the end zone on his final rushing touchdown. I mean, that was everything!
3rd and long. On 2nd down I looked over at my buddy and said this is when the defense gets them in 3rd and long and gives up a TD. Bingo.

It won't be a popular opinion, but do people really think these players don't know how to tackle?

They've tackled since they first laced them up.

Even if they aren't doing the tackling, they see it every single play.

They know how to tackle, but that's on the players. Now if you want to argue that they're still given snaps after continually missing a tackle, that's another discussion.

Tackling is about being in the right place, at the right time, adjusting your body to whatever the defender is doing, and then executing the tackle, chop, or whatever correctly. You have to be committed to stopping the ball carrier and at times, it may hurt in the process.

We see too many of our guys reaching (they're out of position), shooting too high or low (poor identification and understanding of who and what the ball carrier is doing), and when they're there they often aren't wrapping up and driving through the ball carrier. That last part is about commitment. Sometimes you have to hold on for dear life while you get help.

Then there's the last part, the sort of commitment. Throwing a shoulder. It can result in someone getting slammed into the ground and you're standing there like a boss. It's a great way to also get a nasty shoulder injury. It still looks nifty in replay, but it's again a lack of commitment and replay hunting. If you can get your shoulder on someone, you can get them wrapped up.

A lot of the players on this team lack effort, abandon fundamentals, and don't commit. A lot of what we see is on the players. A lot of it is on the coaches as well for continually putting those same guys out there. It's a mess, but it doesn't all fall just on the coaches.

Advertisement
Did we tackle this poorly in 2016? 2017? 2018?

I don't think we did. So why now? Reasons? Explanations?

That depends on who was playing... the players seem to be getting worse every year they are in Manny's program.
They come in as 4 stars HS and regress as years go by... any wonder the younger players are playing better today

... give them a couple of years under this regime and they will be just as bad.

It's a matter of how we practice. How we practice is a matter of what we value. And, what we value is a matter of leadership. Leadership is selected by the top level guys. As crappy as Manny has been for taking a role too big for his abilities, the shame should consistently be pointed at the top level leadership of this University.
The disaster* that is Miami Hurricanes Athletic Department is 100% the result of BoT incompetence.

*Assuming reader is on the "W" side of "E before W" philosophy.

Advertisement
Back