Tackles For Loss

Geddy Lee

Living In The Limelight
72 tackles for loss 6 games in. Let that sink in. Did Miami even have 72 tackles for loss in a full season let alone 2 with those idiots at the helm from 2011-2015.

Advertisement
Tried to look up the single season record and couldn't find any "team" stats for TFL.

Advertisement
**** man, 72 tackles for a loss 6 games in? That’s averaging 12 TFL a game! We keep that pace up we’ll have 144 TFL this season! Let that sink in for a second. That has to not only be a Miami school record but a NCAA record if they can pull it off. No wonder the defense is sitting at the #2 ranking overall. Manny has done an outstanding job, along with the other defensive coaching staff to really apply constant violent pressure on the opposing team! What a difference a year makes when you get a what I would call better DL coach in Simpson, and changing up the defense to have more speed with the Striker position added this year. If we can get the offense turned around, and be more consistent at the start of games, ain’t no way we should lose another game before the ACCCG.

**** man, 72 tackles for a loss 6 games in? That’s averaging 12 TFL a game! We keep that pace up we’ll have 144 TFL this season! Let that sink in for a second. That has to not only be a Miami school record but a NCAA record if they can pull it off. No wonder the defense is sitting at the #2 ranking overall. Manny has done an outstanding job, along with the other defensive coaching staff to really apply constant violent pressure on the opposing team! What a difference a year makes when you get a what I would call better DL coach in Simpson, and changing up the defense to have more speed with the Striker position added this year. If we can get the offense turned around, and be more consistent at the start of games, ain’t no way we should lose another game before the ACCCG.

Let's see how well this show plays on the road this Saturday at 8pm against a well coached, but out matched, team that really doesn't like us. We've got a loooong way to go.

Totally agree. But the players, the beast Willis, Garvin pickney etc have that beast mode this year that is resonating through out the D.

Advertisement
Our defense was flashy last year but had severe holes. This year I feel Diaz went to the drawing board and actually tried to adjust. I feel he’s done a solid job. Also credit Simpson. But give credit to Gerald Willis. Because the harder thing to deal with is a strong pressure up the middle. Diaz should be commended on his ability to adjust

Our defense was flashy last year but had severe holes. This year I feel Diaz went to the drawing board and actually tried to adjust. I feel he’s done a solid job. Also credit Simpson. But give credit to Gerald Willis. Because the harder thing to deal with is a strong pressure up the middle. Diaz should be commended on his ability to adjust
It was a theme all last season on defense with adjustments in the second half. It was crazy how many games last year that they dominated in the second half.

72 tackles for loss 6 games in. Let that sink in. Did Miami even have 72 tackles for loss in a full season let alone 2 with those idiots at the helm from 2011-2015.

The wefense was built on a max cushion philosophy And trusting the process

My god we used to be sad

Do something is the new trust the process

Advertisement
I'm glad those guys above posted those TFL stats from '12-'15.
I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I think we’ll do well on the road especially after UVA made this their homecoming game. The players aren’t saying it publicly but you have to believe that’s a thorn in their side. Cavaliers already yapping about the TO Chain; as they should, cuz their going to see it multiple times Saturday night!

Advertisement
This is the top ranking since 2009 for TFL and TFL/G

2017: Ohio State -114 / Michigan - 8.77
2016: Clemson - 130 / Arkansas State - 9.62
2015: Clemson - 126 / Boston College - 9.58
2014: Clemson - 131 / 10.08
2013: Clemson - 123 / 9.46
2012: Stanford - 124 / Arizona State - 9.08
2011: Cincinnati - 112 / 8.62
2010: Miami - 115 / 8.85
2009: Rutgers - 113 / 8.69

-We would need at least 68 TFL over the next 8 games (Counting ACC Champ and Bowl Game) in order to be the 2nd team since 2009 to avg double digit TFL/G.
-We would need 70 or more TFL over the next 8 games to have the highest amount of TFL/G since 2009. (or 80 more TFL if we make it to the Championship)
-60 more TFL before season's end would have us finish with the most TFL since 2008. If we average 8.5 TFL for the rest of the season (in addition to ACC + Bowl Game), we will finish with about 140 TFL.

As for where we are currently at...
(1st) / (1st) vs FBS opponents: 58 TFL at 11.6/G
(8th) / (1st) vs FBS P-5 opponents: 34 at 11.33/G
(2nd) / (2nd) vs FBS with winning record: 32 TFL at 10.67/G (USF actually leads the TFL/G category against FBS opponents with a winning record. 1 game with 11 TFL)

Source: cfbstats.com

What's sad after going back and looking at these stats?
Although we had 92 TFL in 2009, 2010 was Randy Shannon's last year, we led the nation in TFL (which I didn't initially know before looking them up) and had over 100.
As mentioned above, soon as Golden came here in 2011, and until he left in 2015, we only eclipsed 70 TFL once (2011, of course, the year right after).
Diaz takes over in 2016 and we are back over 100 TFL.

Scheme is everything...Personnel wasn't the reason as Golden had over 30 less TFL with Shannon players, and Diaz with a ton of Golden players had 40+ more TFL.

**** ...did golden ***** your mom or something.....All these positive threads on the board but you come back posting about Golden 3 years ago. Or you mad Radio got the boot?

Advertisement
Back