Sycamores @ Canes 2/22 @ 6 p.m.

Advertisement
In this day and age it’s not so much the workload at college (it doesn’t help) but it’s the year round pitching some of these kids are doing from age 12 and up.

I’d shut down every arm in the summer. No ball. Just lift, mobility, and nutrition. Then since they can have fall ball late in Miami I’d do individuals in Sept and start on ramping. Then once fall starts I’d start getting guys on a pitch plan.

Big time arms going down all over college already.

Advertisement
In this day and age it’s not so much the workload at college (it doesn’t help) but it’s the year round pitching some of these kids are doing from age 12 and up.

I’d shut down every arm in the summer. No ball. Just lift, mobility, and nutrition. Then since they can have fall ball late in Miami I’d do individuals in Sept and start on ramping. Then once fall starts I’d start getting guys on a pitch plan.

Yup. Add in the travel ball tournaments with no pitch limits where kids are throwing 100 plus pitches on a Friday and coming back on a Sunday.

Anecdotally over the years, most of our issues seem to be with freshmen and transfers

Advertisement
I’ve known way too many college pitchers that left school with their arms like ground beef because the coaches overworked them because they only cared about winning and not the players health or pro career.
I know what you are saying but….

They don’t win they no maky money cause they get fired. Or we call for their heads.

I know it’s a balancing act but they get paid to win not make sure kids are ready for pro ball

I have asked this before. Are modern pitchers over-trained rather than over pitched? My boyhood idol, Robin Roberts averaged 15 complete games a season and had a stretch of 28 complete games, including a 15 inning complete game. Also saw recently, Nolan Ryan was so tired after pitching 5500 innings over his career that he was only able to strikeout 16 in a no-hitter at the age of 44. This was they area when they sold aluminum siding in the off-season.

Advertisement
I have asked this before. Are modern pitchers over-trained rather than over pitched? My boyhood idol, Robin Roberts averaged 15 complete games a season and had a stretch of 28 complete games, including a 15 inning complete game. Also saw recently, Nolan Ryan was so tired after pitching 5500 innings over his career that he was only able to strikeout 16 in a no-hitter at the age of 44. This was they area when they sold aluminum siding in the off-season.
Quite possibly. They baby pitchers with pitch counts and then paradoxically put them on grueling in-season throwing programs. Also, there was a study done a while back that revealed most MLB players had played multiple sports when they were younger. This gave them new motor skills and muscle development from various sports and also limited the asymmetrical over-training of year round baseball. Contrary to the old adage, you can now “teach” velocity, but that comes with an epidemic of Tommy John surgeries. Your ligaments and tendons can only support so much force and use.

Quite possibly. They baby pitchers with pitch counts and then paradoxically put them on grueling in-season throwing programs. Also, there was a study done a while back that revealed most MLB players had played multiple sports when they were younger. This gave them new motor skills and muscle development from various sports and also limited the asymmetrical over-training of year round baseball. Contrary to the old adage, you can now “teach” velocity, but that comes with an epidemic of Tommy John surgeries. Your ligaments and tendons can only support so much force and use.
I agree and these kids lift a lot more than in the past. So, if they aren't stretching and resting proportionally, there are bound to be more muscle, ligament and tendon injuries.

Advertisement
Back