Swagger

Badbart43

Sophomore
Coach Johnson's book Swagger is an excellent read (or listen on audible). It is the perfect time to read it now as Mario looks to build on his formative football education as he learned from Coach Jimmy. It takes time to build it right. Mario will get us there. We finally have a guy that wants and has the energy to build it right. Would you rather have a McDonald's burger slapped on the fryer but a zit faced 16 yo kid or one that you marinate overnight and grill to perfection the next day. I am hungry for a championship too, but that second burger would taste oh so much sweeter and juicier.

We have kids on this team that do NOT want to put in the work. We don't need em. Get them gone, out of here. The teams of the 80's built that dynasty into what we all loved and it was not overnight. It took years. It took years to build a dynasty that is still talked about 40 years later. It took time to build the only brand in college football to have 3 ESPN 30 for 30 Specials. How many teams have 1 much less 3?

Advertisement
1670509646544.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I despise the word swagger at this point.
biggest problem is the definition of swagger has changed for us! Swagger used to mean going into tough road games and winning, swagger used to mean coming up with a big stop late in game or a critical TO or sack. swagger used to mean owning the 4Q.
nowadays with the program who knows what it means,,,,,

swag·ger

1. What the U used to have in abundance created by a willingness to work hard, be coachable and settle for nothing but kicking *** and expecting teammates and coaches to do the same
Opposite of swagger

1. What the U has now. An arrogance that leads Us to act like we are entitled to a greatness and yet not work hard and smart, but expecting things on a silver platter

Advertisement
We might be more successful if we followed those blueprints which we haven't in 23yrs....
What blueprint? Please elaborate for clarity. Because I am told constantly that the “dogs” of 80’s south Florida are now entitled no talent pussies and they are the reason why we and All Florida schools suck. And if we wanted to follow the blueprint of the past, we should stop restricting our HC hiring to past Miami alums or Miami ties only. just running up hills more than other schools is not the answer when we’ve had 30 years of sports science improvements and the entire landscape of college football is different. If you’re taking about “toughness”, you’re taking about the most vague and Indefinable trait of a player.
We’re still talking about swagger FFS…get a decent offense and win easy games

I hope you're right but I presume you can agree that after what we witnessed this year, it's fair to wonder about the talents of the chef cooking our burger (to use your example).

Advertisement
Back