Surprise players of the year on Offense and Defense.

Advertisement
Solution
Keyshawn Smith

Elijah Roberts
Those are two excellent choices. I hope Smiff takes it to the next level. I've been waiting for him to have his coming out party. Hopefully it's this year.

Roberts is a another kid who has had an excellent camp and is coming into his own with the new staff. Can't wait to see him this year.
Offense - Ladson (TVD loves to throw the deep 50/50 ball. Ladson has speed and length *pause* I think he'll catch enough to make a big impact
Defense - TS (... I know everyone thinks TS is really good, but I think he goes off this year) 1st-2nd round type season

Offense - Ladson (TVD loves to throw the deep 50/50 ball. Ladson has speed and length *pause* I think he'll catch enough to make a big impact
Defense - TS (... I know everyone thinks TS is really good, but I think he goes off this year) 1st-2nd round type season
I would love it if Ladson had it all just click. That would be a great boost to the offense.

TS wouldn't be a surprise to me as I expect him to have a great year.

Advertisement
Keyshawn Smith

Elijah Roberts
Those are two excellent choices. I hope Smiff takes it to the next level. I've been waiting for him to have his coming out party. Hopefully it's this year.

Roberts is a another kid who has had an excellent camp and is coming into his own with the new staff. Can't wait to see him this year.

Solution
Offense: The Don when he gets back
Defense: LT56/JW0
Chaney showing out in the second half of this season would make us that much better. I'm rooting hard for Chaney. The kid just hasn't caught a single break.

I expect LT and JW to have breakout seasons. In reading this thread it has really become quite clear just how many talented players are on the verge of breaking out. I think this could be very significant in terms of overall improvement from last year to this year. If we go through the entire 2 deep and then some we will see a lot of players who fit that description. With the elite staff we now have it may be very likely that most of those players do in fact have that breakout year and should that really happen then we may be witness to something very special.

Advertisement
Redding is another one that could bust out all of a sudden. He has the talent to be a steady contributor. I hope he shows out.

As the President of the Chase Smith fan club I approve of this selection. The kid has the tools and now he has the coaching.
I think he’s the linebacker that hits the field & doesn’t look back this year. Superstar potential imo.

Offense - RB Thad Franklin

Buried on the depth chart prior to injuries to Citizen and Chaney, I think Franklin takes advantage of his opportunity and becomes a key contributor in the inside power running game. Allowing Rooster and Parrish a lesser load and focus on bring all-purpose backs. Plenty of short-yardage and goal-line carries equals a good number of TDs.

Defense - DE Mitchell Agude and LB Caleb Johnson

May not be surprises, but I think/hope both UCLA transfers become key play makers as the season progresses under Steele‘s scheme and the elite coaching they are receiving. Johnson especially, since we haven’t see quality LB play in a few seasons.

Offense - RB Thad Franklin

Buried on the depth chart prior to injuries to Citizen and Chaney, I think Franklin takes advantage of his opportunity and becomes a key contributor in the inside power running game. Allowing Rooster and Parrish a lesser load and focus on bring all-purpose backs. Plenty of short-yardage and goal-line carries equals a good number of TDs.

Defense - DE Mitchell Agude and LB Caleb Johnson

May not be surprises, but I think/hope both UCLA transfers become key play makers as the season progresses under Steele‘s scheme and the elite coaching they are receiving. Johnson especially, since we haven’t see quality LB play in a few seasons.
I love the Franklin pick for the exact reasons you gave. The opportunity is there. That's for sure.

Those two UCLA transfers are really going to help us. I've loved the Agude pickup from the get. He looks like a grown man plus he is strong, twitchy and explosive. A classic UM DE. With CJ it's his speed and range that stand out to me and that will be such a needed infusion of speed at Mike Backer. We haven't had that for quite a while.

Advertisement
I love the Franklin pick for the exact reasons you gave. The opportunity is there. That's for sure.

Those two UCLA transfers are really going to help us. I've loved the Agude pickup from the get. He looks like a grown man plus he is strong, twitchy and explosive. A classic UM DE. With CJ it's his speed and range that stand out to me and that will be such a needed infusion of speed at Mike Backer. We haven't had that for quite a while.
Plus Agude is a 6th-year senior so he‘ll be looking to put enough good play on tape to boost his draft stock.

Last edited:
Brashard and Avantae
Another two talented kids on the verge of breaking out. Brashard could be a real weapon in the Gattis offense. I see him on jet sweeps, end arounds, as well as deep balls. There was a breakdown of Gattis's offense where the narrator focused on the way Gattis uses mesh concepts where the QB hits a receiver on a crossing route and he is gone because of the way it was drawn up. I could easily see Brashard on the receiving end of a few of those.

Avantae is another kid that should have a breakout year. He is very talented and is in a fantastic scheme with a elite veteran DC and one of the best DB coaches in the country. I'm very much looking forward to watching this young man play this season.

Advertisement
I think we're going to have quite a few breakout D players due to the much better position coaching and play calling. We haven't had this kinda staff on this side of the ball in a long, long time.

On O, I'm going w/ Arroyo. Kid has shown flashes in limited opps (still scratch my head how he would make a great play or two and then be ghosted by the lack of targets the rest of the game). He eats big time in Gattis' scheme. This coming from a Mallory fan as well.

Offense: Redding, it looks like he’s WR 4 right now but I think once he gets his chance early in the season he has a chance to take a starting job and be a dependable guy.

Defense: Couch, going to be a starter wether it’s in the nickel or outside and he’s going to be a key piece of the defense when it’s all said and done.

Advertisement
Back