Sun Life Current Photos

Advertisement
Being designed as a soccer stadium has nothing to do with these issues. A stadium can be designed for soccer, used for football, and still provide an electric atmosphere, site lines, and have seats close to the field. Although a soccer field is larger than a football field, soccer only uses one side of the field for both teams' sideline bench. Because football needs both sides of the field for benches, the total area needed for football is just as big, if not larger than the total area needed for soccer. A proper stadium designer would design it so that the soccer playing field overlaps to where one of the football team's bench area would be. Here's a photo of Real Madrid's home stadium. It's one of the loudest in the world. If you played football there, the stands would be closer to the sidelines than the majority of purely football designed stadiums. Santiago Bernu pano.jpg

Also, here's a pic of the Seattle sounders playing at the Seahawks stadium, utilizing the football sideline area as part of the field. seattle sounders.jpg

Even the Orange Bowl (RIP) hosted a few soccer games. All these stadiums are considered among the best atmospheres in all of sports, and it's because they share a common trait... Although the first row of stands at SLS were way too far away from the sidelines, that was only the second biggest problem with the design. The number 1 factor in creating great atmosphere, sight lines, and noise level in a stadium, is how vertical the stands are. If you look at the designs of the loudest stadiums in the country, all of their stands are more vertical than the average stadium. The slope of the stands at SLS maybe flatter than that of any other major sports stadium I've seen. In extending the stands closer to the field, they made the slope of the stands even flatter. While the stands were so rediculiously far away before that their should be a slight improvement, their claims of making it "the loudest stadium in the country" won't come anywhere near true.

paranos.. does that to **** folks off. He actually posted their bowl highlights.. :Angry:

Being designed as a soccer stadium has nothing to do with these issues. A stadium can be designed for soccer, used for football, and still provide an electric atmosphere, site lines, and have seats close to the field. Although a soccer field is larger than a football field, soccer only uses one side of the field for both teams' sideline bench. Because football needs both sides of the field for benches, the total area needed for football is just as big, if not larger than the total area needed for soccer. A proper stadium designer would design it so that the soccer playing field overlaps to where one of the football team's bench area would be. Here's a photo of Real Madrid's home stadium. It's one of the loudest in the world. If you played football there, the stands would be closer to the sidelines than the majority of purely football designed stadiums. View attachment 30407

Also, here's a pic of the Seattle sounders playing at the Seahawks stadium, utilizing the football sideline area as part of the field. View attachment 30408

Even the Orange Bowl (RIP) hosted a few soccer games. All these stadiums are considered among the best atmospheres in all of sports, and it's because they share a common trait... Although the first row of stands at SLS were way too far away from the sidelines, that was only the second biggest problem with the design. The number 1 factor in creating great atmosphere, sight lines, and noise level in a stadium, is how vertical the stands are. If you look at the designs of the loudest stadiums in the country, all of their stands are more vertical than the average stadium. The slope of the stands at SLS maybe flatter than that of any other major sports stadium I've seen. In extending the stands closer to the field, they made the slope of the stands even flatter. While the stands were so rediculiously far away before that their should be a slight improvement, their claims of making it "the loudest stadium in the country" won't come anywhere near true.

Good analysis. The SLS roof will have an acoustical effect though creating a better atmosphere. Cowboys stadium has similar flatter layout, doesn't come close to Seahawks stadium decibel count. I always thought for the renovations, if instead of pouring concrete in the lower level, just have the steel support structure as the OB. It will greatly enhance the atmosphere. That stomping at the OB with the noise and steel vibrating was wonderful !

I'm in the minority because I like Sun Life Stadium. I recognize that it's not as great as the OB was in relation to proximity of the fans to the field or the feeling that it was UM's stadium, but I like the amenities and the ease of ingress and egress.

Yes, those are so very important to the Big Picture

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back