Valley League
Daniel Rivero Staunton Braves 8 GP 2-1 30 IP 6.00 ERA 33 K 19 BB
Kam Lane Stuanton Braves (JUCO transfer) 20 GP .204 AVG 1 HR 7 RBI

South Florida Collegiate Baseball League
Michael Perez Delray Beach Lightning 24 GP .395 AVG 1 HR 14 RBI
Benito Varela Pompano Beach Clippers (JUCO transfer) 6 GP .214 AVG 1 HR 3 RBI

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice to see four of our players playing in the Cape Cod league this summer. Should be great experience for McKendry and Veliz in particular.

Romy through 6 games is hitting .235. He has improved over the last couple games after starting off 1 for 11. Still way too many strikeouts (9 through 17 ABs). Frankie has thrown 1 scoreless inning. No action for Evan or Greg yet.

Advertisement
From the Staunton Braves website: Daniel Rivero (Miami) pitched six strong innings to lead the Braves to a 7-3 win over Harrisonburg on Sunday. Rivero allowed two runs on seven hits in six innings. He struck out eight and walked one.

Frankie's most recent outing was as a starting pitcher. He went 3 scoreless innings. Nice to see Frankie have a successful extended outing given his struggles in that area last season.
Don't see Evan or Greg on the Wareham roster at the moment. Maybe they're joining late like Mediavilla? Before their removal I noticed (and double checked with PG) that Greg is already 20 years old which would make him a draft eligible Sophomore.

Romy is batting .286 (10-35) through 10 appearances. Only 1 extra base hit and 16 Ks so far though.

It looks like Frankie is done after 6.0 IP over 3 appearances with a 1.50 ERA and 5K/1BB.

Advertisement
Rivero is 1-0 with 5.78 ERA over 14 IP. He has 19 strikeouts and 10 walks.

Can you provide context to these numbers? Is that good for the league they are in? Bad? What is the level of competition compared to the ACC teams they play? I ask cause I have no idea about summer ball leagues up in Cape Cod.

Can you provide context to these numbers? Is that good for the league they are in? Bad? What is the level of competition compared to the ACC teams they play? I ask cause I have no idea about summer ball leagues up in Cape Cod.

Cape Cod is the best summer league stacked full of future MLB talent/future high draft picks and college studs. Teams in the Cape are better than any team in college baseball. You see 95+ arms on the regular and all of the best college bats there is to offer.

Alaskan league is regarded as the second best league for collegiate summer baseball, doesn't look like we have anyone playing there. I played in the Valley League for 2 years for the Luray Wranglers (former Cane Michael Broad was my teammate 1 of those years). It is also very well regarded and the average arm you see there as a starting pitcher is still 90+ but the mid and upper 90s is far less common than the Cape. The average team in the Valley League is probably your typical ACC team. Just mind you, they are using wood instead of composite bats so the offensive numbers are slightly down.

The Cape Cod league is definitely the preeminent summer league, without a doubt.

After that, it's the Northwoods League. They have 67 P5 players in their 10-team North Division (25.2%), and that's their weaker division. An average of 6.7 P5 players per team. One team has only 4 on their team, and guess which team is in last place. One team has 12 P5 players on it, alone. The Northwoods League teams only have 26 or 27 players per team, while the ASL has 29 per team.

The Alaskan Summer league has only 17 kids in the entire league playing P5 baseball, out of 145 players (11.7%). 46 players are upperclassmen (31.7%). One team has 7 P5 players on their roster...guess which team leads the league. The ASL also takes Seniors, while the Northwoods does not. Seniors are obviously less talented, as they have finished their careers and weren't offered a professional opportunity.

Advertisement
Romy has been signed to a full summer contract by Orleans. He's been hitting much better of late: His average is now .317 with 2 HR, 8 RBI, and 5 SB. He only has 4 Ks in his last 20 ABs.

Rivero is currently 2-0 with a 4.66 ERA through 27.0 IP. He has 30K/14BB. He has a WHIP of 1.56. It looks like his summer is a microcosm of what we saw in his brief appearances last season: good stuff but needs to improve the control.

Advertisement
Kam Lane (JUCO transfer) is currently batting .237 with 1 HR and 7 RBI in 14 games with the Staunton Braves. He has 18 Ks in 38 ABs.

Romy is done for the summer with a groin injury. He finished with a .318 batting average, 4 HR, and 17 RBI in 110 AB. He finished with 36 strikeouts. Given a good sample size against strong competition, hopefully he can replicate that kind of batting average next spring.

Michael Perez played for the Delray Beach Lightning in the South Florida Collegiate Summer League. He finished with one of the highest batting averages in the league at .395 over 24 games. The level of competition doesn't look great. Mostly JUCO and local D2 kids with some players from FIU and FAU mixed in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back