Successful Hail Mary’s in Canes History

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I think one time Coker went to confession and was told to do three hand claps and a Hail Mary .... is that what you mean ?

I can't think of a true Hail Mary. We had a late miracle long touchdown pass from Ed Carney against Tulane in the early '70s. It pulled out the game but I think there was still about a minute remaining and more than anything it became a massive controversy nationwide since we were mistakenly granted a 5th down and scored on the 5th down. There were arguments that Miami should forfeit the game. That didn't happen.

Also I remember losing on a late deep ball at Houston in 1969. It was a fantastic game that was televised on ABC, a rarity for the Canes in those days. ABC was mostly spotlighting Houston and its high powered offense. I think Kelly Cochrane was our quarterback. Miami was big underdog but Cochrane opened the game with a long touchdown pass. The Canes played great all day, unexpectedly keeping pace with Houston. Miami appeared headed for an upset until Houston hit a deep ball touchdown to pull out the game. From memory it was something like 50 yards.

That play was the first time I saw my dad display great emotion based on a sporting event. He got up out of his chair in our Florida room and smashed the chair to oblivion.

I can't think of a true Hail Mary. We had a late miracle long touchdown pass from Ed Carney against Tulane in the early '70s. It pulled out the game but I think there was still about a minute remaining and more than anything it became a massive controversy nationwide since we were mistakenly granted a 5th down and scored on the 5th down. There were arguments that Miami should forfeit the game. That didn't happen.

Also I remember losing on a late deep ball at Houston in 1969. It was a fantastic game that was televised on ABC, a rarity for the Canes in those days. ABC was mostly spotlighting Houston and its high powered offense. I think Kelly Cochrane was our quarterback. Miami was big underdog but Cochrane opened the game with a long touchdown pass. The Canes played great all day, unexpectedly keeping pace with Houston. Miami appeared headed for an upset until Houston hit a deep ball touchdown to pull out the game. From memory it was something like 50 yards.

That play was the first time I saw my dad display great emotion based on a sporting event. He got up out of his chair in our Florida room and smashed the chair to oblivion.
thought you were gonna say your dad drop kicked the dog 60 yards over the neighbor's garage ... lol

Advertisement
I would never wish ill against a fellow CIS porster, but if all your fingers had fallen off right before you typed that I wouldn't have minded.

The thread just said in Canes history. It never specified if the Canes or the opponent made the Hail Mary.

The thread just said in Canes history. It never specified if the Canes or the opponent made the Hail Mary.
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 9.04.47 PM.png

Advertisement
If the OP wanted to limit it to passes the Canes have thrown, he should have been more specific.

He should have said something like “Successful Hail Marys the Canes Have Made.”

Anyway, I upgraded my rating of RightSaidFred’s post from like to love just to **** poRsters off.
Are you seriously this dense? I made a comment about somebody bringing up Flutie. Did I say anything at all about the OP? No, I did not.

Advertisement
Back