Success in evaluating players early

rayray

Sophomore
so if there is a failure of this class, it was missing at the top end with elite, contested players -- jeudy, mcfarland, henderson, even someone like cyrus ***an etc.

this board has been over that a bunch and i don't want to minimize it, i think it's something that needs to be solved. but i don't want to talk about that at the moment.

one thing that helped this class land near the top 10 was the success this staff had in evaluating players early. hillery, garvin, and njoku were 3 guys who were under the radar three star players that were elevated to 4 star prospects (at least by 247) late in the process, long after their commitments had been secured. the staff believed in their evaluations and were proven to be far ahead of the recruiting analysts, and staffs from other schools that came calling later in the process.

and in the cases of guys like dingle, rodney scott and billy gibson, they showed a willingness and ability to recognize failed evaluations, let those kids go, and upgrade at their positions (specifically at WR, of course).

these sorts of guys aren't going to bring home titles, obviously. but if/when this staff is able to use on-field success to snag those elite players, we should feel confident that there will be guys behind them who were evaluated and targeted early who will provide both depth and upside.

this staff 100% needs to answer questions about whether they can compete with bama, fsu, uf etc for the big boys. but i think they know good football players when they see them, and that is a major improvement over what we have had here in the last 10 years.

Advertisement
With you 100%. Gotta get good enough players and develop them well enough to eliminate the depth and talent holes left behind. Then you gotta win games with those players. Beat Free Shoes, won the Coastal, maybe even win the ACC. Land this team in the middle of the playoff conversation next year, don't get dismissed with a humiliating blowout like OSU or UW, and suddenly the coaching staff will become much better recruiters of that top level talent.

You gotta have a chicken before you can get the egg. Or was it the other way around?...

Great point, but at some point we have to be able to get the kids everybody knows about too. $$$

Great point, but at some point we have to be able to get the kids everybody knows about too. $$$

Dude he literally acknowledged that off the top and at the end.

Please let's not turn this thread into us whining about missing guys and bags.

Great post rayray. I'd also like to point out I appreciate what they did with guys like Gaynor, Harley and Bandy. Two guys who didn't get offers right away, but the staff evaluated and then pulled the trigger. And I think all three of those guys have very bright futures ahead of them.

Great post rayray. I'd also like to point out I appreciate what they did with guys like Gaynor, Harley and Bandy. Two guys who didn't get offers right away, but the staff evaluated and then pulled the trigger. And I think all three of those guys have very bright futures ahead of them.

Fair point. While we're being fair, he also mentioned it at the end. And since we're being fair, I was stating a fact not whining.

It didn't work out in a few cases, but I think a strong point of this staff in contrast to the last is their tenacity. They fought to the end for some of these guys and I don't think the last staff would have. I know it's been popular to hate Harley, but flipping him was huge, and they picked up Thomas who wasn't on anybody's radar a month ago. The sky was falling as far as WR and OL recruiting go a few weeks ago and they closed very well in those spots.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Truth is McFarland changed his mind **** him and we should've got one of edwards/henderson but I don't doubt the quality of this class what people undervalue is the fact we got dogs playing here now miami was built with players with alpha dog mentality and swag. Watch these savages eat next year. #savagesplaywithsavages

agreed.

IDK I kind of feel like Garvin and Njoku could help us win a championship. These are players with very high (elite) ceilings. Player evaluation is almost as important as a bagman. Still, a very valuable tool.

Gavin is really underrated. I watched FSU's 5 star d end's tape and then watched Garvin's....Garvin looked better. look for yourself if you don't believe me.

Advertisement
Gavin is really underrated. I watched FSU's 5 star d end's tape and then watched Garvin's....Garvin looked better. look for yourself if you don't believe me.

Agree with this. After Thomas, Garvin is the most impressive recruit in this year's class, in my opinion.

The kid has wide shoulders, long arms, is fast and twitchy, uses his hands well for a high school DE and has crazy bend once he turns the corner on an OL. Once he puts on a little bit of muscle, watch out.

Him, Jackson, DJ and the rest of our monsters on the DL are gonna be terrorizing offenses.

I actually think we're gonna be fielding a National Championship caliber Defense in the next couple of years.

QB and OL play are the question marks for us to know if we'll be elite again sooner rather than later. And, of course, Richt not shytting the bed again with **** poor play calling.

Advertisement
Back