Style and OL: Very Excited about THIS

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
We've talked about it earlier in the season. Feliciano pulling. Tackles and Guards down-blocking and drive-blocking. Mcdermott being asked to chip and help instead of single blocking and reaching for a DT in the zone-stretch.

302.jpg

WOO!

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wasn't able to see the game last night. I'm watching the second half currently and falling in love with the blocking schemes.

Thank God we finally adopted some smash mouth running principles.

I wasn't able to see the game last night. I'm watching the second half currently and falling in love with the blocking schemes.

The last 4:30 will make you proud. 3rd down @ :48 was the play of the night for Dallas IMO.

"You think the darkness is your ally.... We were born in the dark" #6-0
— Jonathan Feliciano (@MongoFeliciano)

The last 4:30 will make you proud. 3rd down @ :48 was the play of the night for Dallas IMO.

Better than the one I just saw where he turned what should have been a 2 yard loss, into a spin move (breaks tackle) and ducks under a guy to get 8 out of what should have been a loss?

Crawford is a ****** boss man

Advertisement
Our second half run blocking scheme was outstanding. We needed our o-line to dominate to win and they did. Couple that with tough, inside running by Crawford and that is the result. I like the zone stretch plays and even the zone counter, but that down hill power with the center-guard combo block or the pulling guard is our best scheme for sure.

lu, you think this becomes are base play/philosophy moving forward? It seems like an obvious question but sometimes coaches get away from stuff that seems to be working so well for whatever reason

If we want to run this scheme, it's got to be Feliciano. Bunche is awful. His eyes suck on pass blocking. He whiffs on his pulls. He's slow and gets too deep into the back field. He needs to be kept out of the rotation. All of the A-Gap LB stunts and a lot of the back side penetration was because of him. Keep Feliciano in and spell him with Wheeler

Advertisement
lu, you think this becomes are base play/philosophy moving forward? It seems like an obvious question but sometimes coaches get away from stuff that seems to be working so well for whatever reason

The way it was used yesterday made me wonder if it was being saved for the FSU/VT run. I have no idea if that's true or if we just saw Crawford running well in that style and stuck with it. Then again, Clements was enjoying those bus lanes as well.

I don't think we're going to get away from zone concepts. It's what Coley's been exposed to and what Duke's amazing in. There's a time and place for this stuff, though.

The way it was used yesterday made me wonder if it was being saved for the FSU/VT run. I have no idea if that's true or if we just saw Crawford running well in that style and stuck with it. Then again, Clements was enjoying those bus lanes as well.

I don't think we're going to get away from zone concepts. It's what Coley's been exposed to and what Duke's amazing in. There's a time and place for this stuff, though.

Yeah, I hear ya, you gotta run what Duke does best. But I am really getting worried about Duke's durability, he gets nicked a lot

Yeah, I hear ya, you gotta run what Duke does best. But I am really getting worried about Duke's durability, he gets nicked a lot

He does. But at least two times it has been on a block n the backfield like last night. Duke loves that ankle filp on the DE and is real good at it. Unfortunately he is getting knees to the head. But his QB protection is much higher that other RBs.

Nothing has infuriated me more this season than watching the behemoths on the OL doing anything other than being used in power run plays.

Advertisement
"You think the darkness is your ally.... We were born in the dark" #6-0
— Jonathan Feliciano (@MongoFeliciano)

Love that attitude and hope the coaching staff learns from this and let the OL start blowing people off the ball.

Advertisement
Nothing has infuriated me more this season than watching the behemoths on the OL doing anything other than being used in power run plays.

If you like Duke breaking off 10, 20, 30 and 40 yd runs then you'll learn to love the zone plays as Lu talked about. Running more power plays to provide balance and less predictably like we saw late last night would be ideal.

I was screaming for them to run the cot**** ball all night because UNC had trouble stopping it for the majority of the game, and they did when it mattered most in the 4th quarter and burned a lot of time on the clock with 2 drives that ended in TD's!

We also stopped fiddlefvcking around with moving our OL around to different positions in the second half which greatly improved our continuity. We need to keep flowers at LT, feliciano at LG, wheeler/McDermott at C, Linder at RG and Henderson at RT. That is our best lineup and it was validated last night in the second half.

Advertisement
Back