Stubblefield to check-in on hottest 2021 WR in the country Stellato tonight

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
You could say 2021 Cardinal Gibbons WR Troy Stellato is blowing up right now.

Then again, that might be an understatement.

Just in the past three weeks, Stellato has earned offers from all around the country that would make the even the bluest of the blue chips blush: Ohio State, USC, UGA, Alabama, Penn State, Oregon, LSU, FSU, Florida.

And that’s only to name a few – in total, Stellato has received 17 Power 5 offers in that time span.

“It’s been a crazy couple weeks. It’s definitely a blessing, it’s so surreal,” Stellato said. “All these schools are reaching out and offering, and I’m very grateful to be in this position. Finally, my talent is being recognized, so that’s definitely huge for me. I’ve worked really hard to get here.”

What has led to this sudden explosion of interest?

Well, for one, putting some big-time plays on tape has helped Stellato slowly become a household name in South Florida circles and beyond. An already productive 2019 has turned some heads, and the standout junior has recorded 19 catches for 349 yards and 3 TD’s in 5 games so far for the Chiefs. For his part, Stellato credits a move to slot receiver this year with really allowing his natural talents shine.

“I would say my junior year film is elite,” Stellato said. “My sophomore year film was really good I thought, and colleges started taking notice. They were keeping an eye out and I was getting some offers, but most everyone was watching to see how my junior year film would turn out.

“I think I’ve progressed a lot from last year. I’m catching a lot of passes in the middle of the field. I’m being able to finally get the ball in space where I can really show my speed, and I think last year I didn’t really have the same opportunity to do that. So, a lot of these colleges are looking at me and they think I could be the next (Julian) Edelman or (Adam) Thielen, those slot guys that are in the league right now that get those third downs for you and make those tough catches for you when you need them. I really think I could help any program when I finally make my decision.”

Even with eyes from all over the country on him, there was still one offer Stellato was waiting on. And, after a talk with WR coach Taylor Stubblefield, it finally came about mid-way through his barrage when the hometown Miami Hurricanes pulled the trigger last week.

“I was pumped, I was kind of waiting for that one. I was really stoked to finally get it because the U is my backyard team, my hometown team. So definitely that was really exciting,” Stellato said of his UM offer. “Talking to coach Stubblefield, he face-timed me and told me the news. I was super pumped up to finally get Miami, because I think very highly of them and they’re the hometown team. I was very, very excited to get them for sure.”

To make sure Stellato knows just how interested he is in his abilities, Stubblefield will be following up his offer by going to the Cardinal Gibbons game against American Heritage tonight just to check-in and watch Stellato play.

“I’m looking forward to seeing coach Stubbs and showing out for him,” Stellato said. “It’s the first game he’s coming to see me live, so I’m excited to show what I can do.”

When talking Hurricanes, Stellato said he grew up rooting for UM and made it clear that Miami will be players in this recruitment.

“I love that, one, it’s the hometown team. Everyone that I grew up with, it’d be easier for them to see me play since it’s right in the backyard and close to home,” Stellato said of Miami. “Two, I love the receivers there, they’re really talented and I think they use them well. I feel like I could really help the program and they throw the ball a lot over there. I like the offense, I like what they’re doing over there.

“I’ve always liked the U - I’ve never been a huge college football fan, I’m more NFL. But my college team has always been the U. I’m not a huge die-hard fan, but I’ve always rooted for them… They’re for sure going to be up there on the list for me.”

While Stellato does have a few early favorites among his many offers, he plans to keep an open mind regarding the recruiting process and says things could change at any time.

“I really love Ohio State, I love Bama, I love the U,” Stellato said. “I love a lot of schools right now, a good five or six of them. But that can always change when I take more visits.”

In terms of visits, the 6’0” 170 pound pass catcher mentioned that he would like to get to both Miami and LSU in the near future. In fact, Stellato was just at Alabama last week and was specifically in awe of Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban.

“Saban being there was just insane, talking to him and everything. He’s the Bill Belichick of college football, he’s the best college football coach of all time,” Stellato said. “Sitting in that big man’s office and talking to him was super surreal, you had to pinch yourself because he’s the guy. Alabama - obviously just their winning culture, they’ve been doing it for so many years and have been at the top of the mountain for a while. It’s truly remarkable how they can stay there.”

Following up his trip to Tuscaloosa, Stellato will be making his way to Columbus, Ohio this weekend to watch Ohio State take on Michigan State on Saturday. Stellato has already built a connection with the Buckeyes coaching staff and plans on furthering that bond this weekend.

“I love Ohio State. Coach (Brian) Hartline, I’m really close with him,” Stellato said. “He’s the receiver coach up there, and coach Keenan Bailey is the assistant receiver coach too. I have a good relationship with those guys over there.”

Even though all the extra attention is certainly welcomed, Stellato admits the recruiting process can be overwhelming at times. Still, the Cardinal Gibbons star recognizes the value of taking his time with his decision, and states that he won’t be rushing into any commitments until after his junior season at earliest. Right now, he says, repeating as state champs is more important.

“I just have to look at all these schools, I haven’t really had a second to take it all in because schools are coming left and right. You kind of can’t take an offer in because, then, another one comes,” Stellato said. “I’m just trying to focus on my team and winning, helping my receiver unit around me and helping my quarterback progress and win ballgames.

“At the end of the season when it’s all over, I’m going to sit down with my family and start breaking down some of these schools and picking out the ones that I’m really high on to narrow it down a bit. I’m open right now to everyone, just taking it all in and going on visits. I really have a lot to think about. I’m going to try and come to a decision at the start of the year or over the summer.”

At the Opening Miami Regional back in February, Stellato posted a 4.42 40-yard dash, a 4.47 short shuttle time, and a 27.90 inch vertical leap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We won't be in the running for kids like this until we are competing for the playoffs year in and year out. For that to happen we need to develop the guys we are able to get both mentally and physically. If we don't get the whole team to play as smart as the less talented teams we are losing to we will never get back.

Advertisement
Said he loves bama and *. We dont have a chance.
Sadly I come to believe the same. Recruiting results over the last several years prove, the lack of confidence in top SOFL talent signing with the U is highly unlikely. Some do, but more don't. More likely the ones we need like Walker and the two STA OLinemen. We can never get the kids we need most to close the gap.

Keenan Bailey who he mentioned on staff at OSU in the article went to Gibbons. When you add in Brian Hartline, that’s a very appealing option.

Hopefully he breaks the mold of Gibbons/Broward kids heading to these state schools, but I wouldn’t count on it. Gibbons has a huge “get out of SoFlo” vibe; see Gerald Mincey, Khris Bogle.

Advertisement
Sadly I come to believe the same. Recruiting results over the last several years prove, the lack of confidence in top SOFL talent signing with the U is highly unlikely. Some do, but more don't. More likely the ones we need like Walker and the two STA OLinemen. We can never get the kids we need most to close the gap.

We should be like the Dolphins SHOULD be right now. 199% effort o. Recruiting the most dominant trenches possible.

Agreed. We always miss on the difference makers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back