Stroud working to set up UM visit for Auburn DT commit Lewis

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 3-star DT Damarjhe Lewis landed a Miami offer back in January, when Jess Simpson visited him at Griffin High in Georgia. The Canes’ former defensive line coach was surprised at how much bigger Lewis looked in person and offered him a scholarship on the spot.

“Well, the D-Line coach came down to the school and, really, I look smaller on my film, but in person, I look bigger and taller,” Lewis said. “So, he loved my great size, great speed and said he would love for me to come down to the U and play.”

Even with Simpson now with the Atlanta Falcons, that has not slowed UM’s pursuit of the talented 6’3” 280 pound interior defender. New DL coach Todd Stroud has kept in contact with Lewis and has been working to get him on campus over the summer.

“I set up a visit with the new defensive line coach, but I don’t know which date yet,” Lewis said. “It will be sometime during the summer time.”

Despite being committed to the Auburn Tigers since last August, Lewis said his interest in the Canes couldn’t be much higher.

“It’s like a 10/10. Well, I really like the weather, but it’s a lot of things,” Lewis said of UM. “I love Miami, the Hurricanes have the swag.”

Lewis’ latest trip to Auburn came in early March and he was asked to describe the status of his commitment to the Tigers following that visit.

“I’m still young so I’m still looking around, but right now I feel comfortable at Auburn,” Lewis said. “I’m still looking around because things can change.”

Besides Miami, Lewis is hearing from many other Power 5 programs that are trying to get him to flip his commitment from Auburn. He most recently visited schools like Georgia Tech and Tennessee, and is set to see UCF this weekend as well.

“I hear from a lot really. I hear from Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina,” Lewis said. “Mississippi State has been texting me a lot lately and is close to an offer. Duke too.”

After a breakout sophomore season in 2017, Lewis was expecting even greater things as a junior last year, but felt he fell short of his goals. As an upcoming senior, Lewis has his eye on bouncing back to break records and leave a legacy at Griffin.

“Last year, I didn’t have a good year, a lot of things kind of slowed me down,” Lewis said. “Next year, I want to make up for it, I want to have a better year than I had my sophomore year. I’m looking to be the sack record holder for Griffin High School and balling.”

With Lewis making plenty of visits to other programs despite his Auburn commitment, when might we see a “true” final decision from the defensive tackle?

“I’ll say while my senior season is going on, sometime during the season.”

Advertisement
Interesting article which seems to add more light on the video interview below. I think losing coach Simpson will ultimately affect this young man's recruitment, he seems fixated on the SEC.

Interview from a month ago

Go Ganes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back