Stroud, Rumph talk defense

Yeah, I thought Coach Rumph said six in the video... It's surprising that no one else mentioned that our DBs had such a great scrimmage.

That definitely is something be excited about. Sounds like they tackled well also.

I appreciate the fact that Coach Rumph gave the DB group their proper due because the reports left out a lot of pertinent information. Man, I'm wicked stoked.

Does anyone who was there know who the other DBs were that accounted for the six picks were? And also, was it just six picks by the corner back group or does that include the picks by Gurvan as well? Coach Rumph wasn't really clear on that.

If I had to guess, the way he was so assertive in naming Bandy the number 1 guy on the corner back depth chart, he probably made some good plays. Did Bandy catch any picks?

And Al Blades sounds like a good student. I'm rooting for him to live up to and/or surpass his vision of his superhero. I know that's a special feeling for a kid. He probably caught at least one, if not two.

It still seems like he's trying to push Ivey to be a better young man on and off the field. Strain him for every ounce of his greatness like he's the Legendary Super Saiyan. If he can get back to what he was his last year at South Dade, we got another Artie out there. Did he catch any picks?

Did uhhh, did Romeo Finley or even Derrick Smith catch any? I know he was having a good week of camp before the scrimmage.
Keontra smith was said to have one

Advertisement
Coach Stroud needs go 3 Deep on the Dline not 2 Deep. Since Manny has been here we rotated 3 deep on the dline to keep the pressure on the oline.

Pressure by committee Coach! Not to mention these a lot of kids want to play, not hear about red-shirting or ridding the bench as 3rd team. Your not at Akron anymore, the kids that come to miami are ready to play especially if they enrolled early. You could rotate 4 Deep at each D-End an Coach Stroud is talking about finding the best 4 man go ahead with that 1980's bullcrap.

Big difference from the last guy ummm play from the 2:00 mark (He wants everybody in his room to get reps, so then can play fresh & fast)

Go Canes

Last edited:
I really think people discount just how much a defense can be aided by having a good offense( that can get out to quick, big leads) and better kicking game...

A simple concept (and vice versa how D enables O) that is consistently missed or not regarded.

They 100% feed off each other.

Advertisement
A simple concept (and vice versa how D enables O) that is consistently missed or not regarded.

They 100% feed off each other.

yeah, and the kicking game, too, can create field position, flip the field. UM was really poor in these aspects last year, it really put a ton of pressure on the defense too often

They were awful in terms of playing complimentary football

You got to love Rumph’s confidence. I have been frustrated by some of the recruiting misses but overall the dude has delivered a talented group every year on the field and I expect even more this year. I just wish we had a couple more bodies at CB for depth purposes.
And Rumph's the only coach that doesn't have to battle the bagman?

Advertisement
Seeing the transformation Corn made in just one season made me a believer in Rumph early.

I'm still there.

Some people love to rail on his recruiting because of what he missed, instead of focusing on the ballers he rolls out there every single Saturday.

Its asanine for people to complain about a db coach that's been vital in transforming our secondary back to being physical, and the #1 pass defense in the nation. Furthermore coach rumph is one of us, homegrown balla and top notch coach. That's what real and True Hurricane football is, a combination of South Florida coaches matched up with True Hurricane players. The confidence is their in full afffect on both sides.

Whoever didnt come here and chose to go elsewhere, OH WELL, we straight over here. I wouldnt trade coach rumph for no db coach in football, pro's or college!

In NYC the Miami spot is Brother Jimmy's BBQ, right across the street from Madison Square Garden, watched a few Miami games before I had to cover the fights, there.

As for our defense, yeah, Im thinking 85 Bears on BALCO.

Steve, DM me your number. We hung out at the UM @ Nebraska game a few years back. We need to catch up!

Advertisement
I really think people discount just how much a defense can be aided by having a good offense( that can get out to quick, big leads) and better kicking game. Last year was such a hard slog on them in many ways. They were like the starting pitcher who would pitch a 4-hitter, give up 2 runs, but wasn't guaranteed of winning games.

Just getting 3 or 4 more 1st downs per half, can aid a defense throughout the year as you keep them off the field longer.

The strength of this unit is it's edge rushers, well, it's much easier to be one when you're up 24-7 in the 2nd half, as opposed to a 10-7 grinder in the 4th.

And these young ballhawks under the direction of the Rumph-shaker has me excited, long, lean, twitchy athletes from So. Florida. They'll be fine
Good stuff. It’s not just getting a few extra first downs to keep the defense fresher. It’s also the mental boost a potent offense can give the rest of the team. If you have a potent offense you don’t feel like giving up if you get behind by a score or two.

Last year, if our defense wasn’t perfect, we were almost guaranteed to lose. That pressure finally started catching up with them, and they quit in the Wisconsin game. They got to the point where they had no confidence in the offense to score any points, and that will eventually break you.

Advertisement
Seeing the transformation Corn made in just one season made me a believer in Rumph early.

I'm still there.

Some people love to rail on his recruiting because of what he missed, instead of focusing on the ballers he rolls out there every single Saturday.
Corn was a great talent and a tough dude. Any decent coach would do well with him. His work getting these young guys ready to contribute as freshmens will tell me more about his ability as a coach than what he did with a guy like Corn who was already a very good player.

I love what Diaz was able to do with 3 true freshmens LBs a few years ago. That was a phenomenal job of preparation on his part.

Good stuff. It’s not just getting a few extra first downs to keep the defense fresher. It’s also the mental boost a potent offense can give the rest of the team. If you have a potent offense you don’t feel like giving up if you get behind by a score or two.

Last year, if our defense wasn’t perfect, we were almost guaranteed to lose. That pressure finally started catching up with them, and they quit in the Wisconsin game. They got to the point where they had no confidence in the offense to score any points, and that will eventually break you.

I completely agree with you, and you hear all the time about lockerooms being divided as one side of the ball can't carry their weight. And yeah, I got the sense the defense was sick and tired of the buffoonery of the offense and by the time the Pinstripe Bolw game, they had packed it in mentally( and honestly, I cant blame them)

Football, more than any other sport, to me is a game of emotion. And last year that Richtanic offense was so bad it at times killed the spirit of the whole team

Advertisement
Back