Stroud planning to visit new offeree Mostella next recruiting period

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Two weeks back, the Hurricanes expanded their board at defensive end, sending an offer to 2020 East Kentwood (MI) 3-star Bryce Mostella. After texting back and forth with DL coach Todd Stroud for a few days, Mostella spoke with Stroud on the phone, where he found out the good news that he had an offer to “The U”.

“It was a crazy feeling,” Mostella said. “It’s not every day you get offered by one of the most storied college football programs of all-time. It was an honor.”

And there certainly seems to be mutual interest between both parties: Mostella already lists Miami among his leaders, while Stroud is planning on visiting Mostella when the next recruiting period opens up.

“My interest is very high,” Mostella said of Miami. “They are definitely in the top 5, and coach Stroud said he was going to come up and see me the next recruiting period and figure out when I can get down there to visit Miami.”

Early on in his recruitment, Mostella was pegged to end up in-state and many saw him as a Michigan-lean. However, it seems the two parties have parted ways lately, and that has opened the door for other out of state programs like the Hurricanes to get involved with Mostella.

Working in Miami’s favor? The storied history that comes with 5 national championships.

“The biggest thing for me about Miami is probably their tradition,” Mostella said. “A program with a great tradition has always been important to me.”

In addition to the Canes, the 6’6” 235 pound edge rusher says schools like Auburn, Kentucky, Northwestern, and Iowa are in constant contact with him and that he is looking to make a final decision sometime this summer.

“I’m looking for academics, tradition, and good football,” Mostella said of his deciding factors. “Distance from home is not a factor at all, it never has been.”

As a junior at East Kentwood, Mostella felt he had an exceptional season for the Falcons. However, the rising senior is looking for more team success in 2019.

“The team did well in the season, but we got booted the second round of the playoffs. I think the final record was 9-2,” Mostella said. “I feel like I performed extremely well, but there is always a lot to improve on.”

Advertisement
We should not have to leave the south for DT's or DE's unless they elite and I am not seeing elite in this offer. If Mich and MSU are passing on him, that says a lot.

I rather use the spot on a 2020 DT over this young man.

Go Canes

We should not have to leave the south for DT's or DE's unless they elite and I am not seeing elite in this offer. If Mich and MSU are passing on him, that says a lot.

Go Canes

I like us keeping our options open

We definitely have quite a few kids ahead of him on the big board

Advertisement
I like us keeping our options open

We definitely have quite a few kids ahead of him on the big board

I like 2020 3* DT Emmanuel Rogers from Jensen Beach, FL as a rising prospect more than this young man.

Go Canes

Go Canes
He should not be a take. The competition he’s going against there’s maybe 1 or 2 other d1 caliber kids

Advertisement

Go Canes

That’s just dumb.

Is there another recruit on his team we're recruiting? Maybe for next year a class? Or do they plan to move him inside?

I don't see ideal burst or flexibility on his film, but there could be explanations for that. Agree his best spot is interior. Regardless, I'm glad Stroud is hustling.

This is a joke right? No offense to the kid, but we can’t be seriously thinking of signing this kid

Advertisement
This is a joke right? No offense to the kid, but we can’t be seriously thinking of signing this kid

No offense to the kid as well...

But I think this offer is conditional we miss out on 5to 6 other kids in front of him

I disagree with you guys! There’s 3 big reason why!

#1- You can’t teach 6 FOOT 6 INCHES!! And with the possibility of getting to 6’7”! Either you have that or you don’t.

#2- Big kids stay blocked once OFL gets their hands on them. If you go back and watch the film, this kid gets off his blocks well. He also knows his angles and cuts off the ball carrier before they can get pass the line of scrimmage. He doesn’t run clumsy for a big guy.

And most importantly!!
#3- I trust this coaching staff lead by MD. If they didn’t see another Calais Campbell or Rousseau in this kid at 6’ 6” why go all the way North and bypassing all of these Florida kids to pursue him?

Most on here would have passed on Rousseau just because he was rated a 3 star when MIAMI recruited him. Even kids at the 5 star challenge said they don’t know why some kids they went up against were rated as high. Alabama had 5 star kids across the board on defense and got smashed and looked like Wake Forest!

I’ll take this kid and trust MD and this coaching staff evaluation and believe that they know what the heck they are doing! They’re not chasing stars, they want MIAMI athletes that fit their scheme. That’s why they got steals in recruiting like Jahfari Harvey and Rousseau!
GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
I disagree with you guys! There’s 3 big reason why!

#1- You can’t teach 6 FOOT 6 INCHES!! And with the possibility of getting to 6’7”! Either you have that or you don’t.

#2- Big kids stay blocked once OFL gets their hands on them. If you go back and watch the film, this kid gets off his blocks well. He also knows his angles and cuts off the ball carrier before they can get pass the line of scrimmage. He doesn’t run clumsy for a big guy.

And most importantly!!
#3- I trust this coaching staff lead by MD. If they didn’t see another Calais Campbell or Rousseau in this kid at 6’ 6” why go all the way North and bypassing all of these Florida kids to pursue him?

Most on here would have passed on Rousseau just because he was rated a 3 star when MIAMI recruited him. Even kids at the 5 star challenge said they don’t know why some kids they went up against were rated as high. Alabama had 5 star kids across the board on defense and got smashed and looked like Wake Forest!

I’ll take this kid and trust MD and this coaching staff evaluation and believe that they know what the heck they are doing! They’re not chasing stars, they want MIAMI athletes that fit their scheme. That’s why they got steals in recruiting like Jahfari Harvey and Rousseau!
GO CANES!!!
Is it possible they want him o line?

Maybe DT is what they have in mind for him. I'll say this and agree with others who point out his strength at the POA. That knifing through a triple team @ 1:00 certainly ly caught my attention but he's only 235. He'd have to gain at least 50lbs to go inside and even then he'd still be undersized but his height should help him with carrying more.

Advertisement
Back