Strength & Conditioning

DeadPoets

Senior
I know it's a touchy subject 'round these parts... but I said years ago that the reason LSU & Bama were a step ahead of everyone else was that their S&C coaches were top notch Gale Hatch (former US Olympic coach) disciples. Vic Viloria is one as well & it shows.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-fo...ria_vic00.html

•Viloria was at LSU for two years before going to SMU where he worked under the supervision of Tom Moffitt. While at LSU he worked with the Tigers' nationally ranked football and baseball programs as well as the swimming and golf teams.

• A disciple of renowned weightlifting coach Gayle Hatch, Viloria endorses the "Hatch System" which develops functional and explosive strength in players through the use of free weights, plyometrics and jumping drills.

Scott Cochran
Tommy Moffitt
Vic Viloria

^ Simply light years ahead of other S&C coaches. All Gale Hatch disciples.

/carry on

Last edited:
Advertisement
We've had a lot of guys gain weight in the off-season & they look slower. Not sure if it's translating to the field well.

Advertisement
We've had a lot of guys gain weight in the off-season & they look slower. Not sure if it's translating to the field well.

Our LB's have gotten a lot bigger but they do look slower.

We are way way better than last year, calm down for a second your not thinking clearly. Yes our LBs still struggle in coverage but I don't think you really realize how bad last year was. Our speed at that position just never was good plain ans simple, and they sure as **** were not faster last year.

What..........? Our defense played 13 minutes in the 3rd and keep one of the nations top offenses at bay and forced them to earn every TD. Our deficiencies arent strength and conditioning as much as the players we are playing

Last edited:
What..........? Our defense played 13 minutes in the 3rd and keep one of the nations top offenses at bay and forced them to earn every TD. It's not about strength and conditioning as it's about the players we are playing

How long are we gonna use the excuse "it's the players?"
We haven't had an explosive football team since maybe 2005

Advertisement
What..........? Our defense played 13 minutes in the 3rd and keep one of the nations top offenses at bay and forced them to earn every TD. It's not about strength and conditioning as it's about the players we are playing

Should I take that comment serious?

This is a two fold problem. 1) under randy there was no nutrition and no s&C. 2) terrible recruiting

So you tell me, do u honestly think Gaines, Highsmith and green have higher ceilings and can get any better than what they are now which is sub D-1 levels.

Our players weren't gassed in this game. We did pretty well getting push on the downhill runs.

Better yet look at our best WR Allen Hurns you don't think he's at his physical peak?
We don't have many super athletes on this roster.

Last edited:

Should I take that comment serious?

This is a two fold problem. 1) under randy there was no nutrition and no s&C. 2) terrible recruiting

So you tell me, do u honestly think Gaines, Highsmith and green have higher ceilings and can get any better than what they are now which is sub D-1 levels.

Our players weren't gassed in this game. We did pretty well getting push on the downhill runs.

Better yet look at our best WR Allen Hurns you don't think he's at his physical peak?
We don't have many super athletes on this roster.

Conditioning is better (stamina) but explosive power & speed is average at best. And that seems inexcusable with Florida kids.
UCF plays A LOT faster than us.

our best athletes are freshmen and sophmores. We are two years away. I dont care what kind of s&c program and the end of the day we just dont have the horses. im a die hard canes fan, but if we are being honest we just are not there yet. we are getting there just not there yet.

Getting faster and stronger doesn't automatically make your players good.

AJ Highsmith can get as fast and strong as he wants and he's still going to be a terrible safety.

Strength and Conditioning isn't our issue. Talent is.

FSU won this game because they have more talent. Not because they have better coaching and/or S&C

Advertisement
Getting faster and stronger doesn't automatically make your players good.

AJ Highsmith can get as fast and strong as he wants and he's still going to be a terrible safety.

Strength and Conditioning isn't our issue. Talent is.

FSU won this game because they have more talent. Not because they have better coaching and/or S&C

exactly. Tracy, gunter, jenkins all got stronger yet they are making plays. 2012 was our first class with real talent.
2013 kids will benefit from s and c but also have the talent. we cant even redshirt kids.

Advertisement
Back