Stonehill Skyhawks @MIA Thurs 8PM ACCN

Advertisement
Advertisement
can someone explain to me what Watson is doing on the court? Is he facilitating or attempting to go the basket?

talk about a bench splintering... good grief. but better than a loss, and George was a treat

Advertisement
Some takes from tonight's game... No question Stonehill was undermanned. Aside from being a low major program, they were missing 4 starters ( due to injuries). If it was hard for some of the fans to get into this one, imagine the players. Just about the only thing tonight served was an opportunity for the bench guys to get some action in extended minutes of play and hopefully gain some confidence. Needless to say, the starters did their job. Looked like it was going to get really ugly, but Coach L used discretion and called off his dawgs. One observation, in regards to Omier was it seems he's been told to stop bringing the ball up the court. Unlike some of the past games this season, I don't think there was one instance where he got a rebound and looked to dribble the ball up court. I noticed every time he rebounded the ball he looked for the outlet. Bench is still a work in progress. Thought Casey was the only one who really stood out from that bunch and took advantage of the opportunity. Disappointed that a guy like Nwoko couldn't get more than 10 minutes of play. Would've been nice to get him closer to 20 minutes. Definitely didn't like the way we finished the game. Thought some of our bench guys were tuned out. All in all, Miami did what they were supposed to do. Execute, dominate and win big. They did that. 1 more cupcake vs. UNF and then on to ACC play. GO CANES!!!

Yeah not much to take away from last night but like King above said those last few minutes the suns had no energy or life and seemed to not want to be out there. That is the time to show something and earn a few meaningful minutes. They did quite the opposite.

Anyone else finding Bensley's shooting a bit of bummer?
I don't really care if he scores at all. If he plays tough defense and handles/distributes the ball, I'm OK.

As for his shooting, last season he hit a "wall" in early January, this season a bit earlier.

His form is awkward and easy to defend. Also doesn't hold up when its a deeper shot. He gives me Marcus Smart vibes fully, I expect all his shots to miss but its a pleasant surprise when he makes it.
Surprisingly, he's a better jump shooter than slasher.

Advertisement
Christian Watson hasn't progressed as a shooter. Shame because he was known for that in high school but the growth spurt must've affected his shot a lot.
He played against excellent HS competition in the DC Catholic League. Good scorer/not a pure shooter. I never expected a ton of points from him at this level.

He played 25 minutes against Stonehill, had 7 assists (where assists were a dime a dozen in that scoring fest). Those 25 minutes were by far the most of any bench player. L must be liking something there.

Some takes from tonight's game... No question Stonehill was undermanned. Aside from being a low major program, they were missing 4 starters ( due to injuries). If it was hard for some of the fans to get into this one, imagine the players. Just about the only thing tonight served was an opportunity for the bench guys to get some action in extended minutes of play and hopefully gain some confidence. Needless to say, the starters did their job. Looked like it was going to get really ugly, but Coach L used discretion and called off his dawgs. One observation, in regards to Omier was it seems he's been told to stop bringing the ball up the court. Unlike some of the past games this season, I don't think there was one instance where he got a rebound and looked to dribble the ball up court. I noticed every time he rebounded the ball he looked for the outlet. Bench is still a work in progress. Thought Casey was the only one who really stood out from that bunch and took advantage of the opportunity. Disappointed that a guy like Nwoko couldn't get more than 10 minutes of play. Would've been nice to get him closer to 20 minutes. Definitely didn't like the way we finished the game. Thought some of our bench guys were tuned out. All in all, Miami did what they were supposed to do. Execute, dominate and win big. They did that. 1 more cupcake vs. UNF and then on to ACC play. GO CANES!!!
- Great observations about Omier and Nwoko.

- Casey had 8 points (if we were playing an ACC opponent might have had his usual two). I still don't see much ceiling at this point. Or, for the rest if the bench. Looks like a six man rotation, with Casey and Watson maybe getting a couple minutes here and there to give starters a blow.

- I haven't had the chance to really study George's shooting form much. Almost appears he's not getting much lift and shooting an old school (mean REALLY old school) semi-set shot, with at least one foot on the floor as he releases the ball. Am I seeeing things that aren't there? And, whatever his form, the ball is going in.

- Great observations about Omier and Nwoko.

- Casey had 8 points (if we were playing an ACC opponent might have had his usual two). I still don't see much ceiling at this point. Or, for the rest if the bench. Looks like a six man rotation, with Casey and Watson maybe getting a couple minutes here and there to give starters a blow.

- I haven't had the chance to really study George's shooting form much. Almost appears he's not getting much lift and shooting an old school (mean REALLY old school) semi-set shot, with at least one foot on the floor as he releases the ball. Am I seeeing things that aren't there? And, whatever his form, the ball is going in.
George has a slow releasing shot. He doesn't get much elevation on his release but at 6'7" he can get away with it more times than not at the collegiate level. However, he may need to adjust it (especially quicken his release) a bit if he has aspirations of playing in the NBA.

Advertisement
I don't really care if he scores at all. If he plays tough defense and handles/distributes the ball, I'm OK.

As for his shooting, last season he hit a "wall" in early January, this season a bit earlier.
Excellent point, and I feel the same way about some of our 6->8... but he's taking too many tough shots that aren't really close much of the time, and its the same as a turnover. Yeah "assist" and playmake and defense would be fine, but HANDS UP DONT SHOOT lol.

Advertisement
Back