Stock up, Stock down - 2021 Spring Game

View as article
@DMoney I think this is the play you’re referring to with Keontra.

Notice the way our DEs crash down hard inside... This is the same sort of issue that caused us to give up so much yardage against UNC. Our DEs need to do a MUCH better job of setting the edge and flushing the ballcarrier back towards their help. This was a great play by Smith but not one you wanna bank on him making everytime. The DEs crashing in the way they are is just asking to be gashed in the run game by taking themselves out of the play.

Advertisement
in watching the scrimmage, defensively I really didn't see much of a difference between Blake and Manny's defense: Gave up to many 3rd and longs, WR with free releases, gash on some counters, blitzes coming 10-15 yards of the ball, Alignment issues, then we go zones, we have WR's running right past them, and safeties tied up in the middle of the field. I think we need a real tactician on defense, like we have on offense. Lashlee basically with two freshmen QB's did whatever they wanted to do. I am no expert, very disappointed with the defense.
I agree we still need to get the alignment issues sorted out BUT just like we saw our vanilla offense..I think we saw our vanilla defense as well. No need in showing everything when the offense is just working with a "Kendall Briles" playbook. I saw what I needed to see...Great push up front from the DTs (Ford especially. He has to be ready to bring his A game against Bama), physical play on the back end, and TS being a lockdown #1 corner and the young guys getting some much needed reps... Dont look too much into it.

Johnson really popped for me at WR. It's not that he needs to beat out other guys at his position. It's about matchups. He has such a unique size and twitch. When he caught one of his 5 passes and made a juke move, I said," OMG!!! He can't do that at his size!!! Who is this grown man?" He provides such a mismatch physically that he has to play. I see him bullying DBs and running away from LBs.

Looks like a TE, but plays like a WR. Don't change this kid to TE. He can line up in those postions to create mismatches though.

I hope the coaching staff realizes what they have. The fact that he got a lot of snaps tells me they do.
Cager/Hankerson

"Daz Worsham made some catches today against the second and third team defense - been a bit quiet from his end but nice to see production as he is still young. Has put on considerable weight since HS. Maybe not a contributor this year but definitely stock up."

About 20 pounds. Remember he had those HS surgeries and could not work out much.
I definitely noticed he was clearly bigger & made every catch thrown his way, even if he was going against 2's & 3's. He may be ready next year to be a steady contributor if he keeps progressing.

I definitely noticed he was clearly bigger & made every catch thrown his way, even if he was going against 2's & 3's. He may be ready next year to be a steady contributor if he keeps progressing.
By next year you mean the 2021 season? I just don't see how you don't play this young man. He's so much more physical than anyone at his position. We need the physicality of guy that can run past and run over defenders.

When I look at any player with unique physical traits, I ask myself, what would Bill Belichick do? He'd have a bunch of plays designed to take advantage of the traits any given player has and put them into those plays to succeed. Unfortunately, a lot of college coaches just look at who they think is better overall at a position, rather than recognizing the unique talent and designing plays to take advantage of that talent.

Take the younger Njoku for example. Wasn't the best WR and was pretty far down on the depth chart. Was 6' 6"+ and could jump out of the gym. Why he was never in the game in goal line and short down and distance situations is beyond me. All you had to do was throw ally-oop 5 yard dunk passes on in/out routes and stick routes to him because no defender was going to out jump him. To make matters worse we were one if the worst teams in the redzone.

My point is to take advantage of unique traits not just having a pecking order of 1st-4th string depth chart. Use the guys that create an advantage. I just see unique traits in Johnson that we can take advantage of. One of those should be downfield blocking terrorizing DBs aside from him catching the ball. I'd put him in the game and tell him to pancake the CB every running play. That's going make it easier for everyone against that defender as he is now mentally defeated. Can't see anyone playing tight man him. Toss the DB like a rag doll and make the catch.

I'm projecting a lot here on a guy some people think is an average Joe because he's a walk-on. Like Jack Nicholson says to Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie The Departed, "I look at you and I think, what can I use you for?"

Last edited:
Advertisement
OL and DB's looked much improved.
Garcia should be the STARTER! Don't give me that experience BS, he's the best and the best should start.
Keontra closed like a Miami LB. Flagg ok, but too slow to get wide. Chase Smith did flash and showed speed. Huff IDK? Gonna need Jim Wms to make an instant impact.
WR not enough impact speed IMO. Breshard Smith will have opportunity, especially if they do the right thing and play Garcia.

I'm a BIG Garcia fan Billy...He will have an excellent future here.

BUT I don't feel that in any sane world would I give a 1st year player the starting position based on his performance over his 1st Spring ....over an experienced although currently injured very good QB with a proven history

We've yet to see them compete "live" under pressure head to head against our defense .....so that would be one helluva assumption to make.

I do feel that he has jumped ahead of TVD for now ,,,,at least until the Fall when a more accurate assessment of their positioning can be made

Last edited:
By next year you mean the 2021 season? I just don't see how you don't play this young man. He's so much more physical than anyone at his position. We need the physicality of guy that can run past and run over defenders.

When I look at any player with unique physical traits, I ask myself, what would Bill Belichick do? He'd have a bunch of plays designed to take advantage of the traits any given player has and put them into those plays to succeed. Unfortunately, a lot of college coaches just look at who they think is better overall at a position, rather than recognizing the unique talent and designing plays to take advantage of that talent.

Take the younger Njoku for example. Wasn't the best WR and was pretty far down on the depth chart. Was 6' 6"+ and could jump out of the gym. Why he was never in the game in goaline and short down and distance situations is beyond me. All you had to do was throw ally-oop 5 yard dunk passes on in/out routes and stick routes to him because no defender was going to out jump him. To make matters worse we were one if the worst teams in the redzone.

My point is to take advantage of unique traits not just having a pecking order of 1st-4th string depth chart. Use the guys that create an advantage. I just see unique traits in Johnson that we can take advantage of. One of those should be downfied blocking terrorizing DBs aside from him catching the ball. I'd put him in the game and tell him to pancake the CB every running play. That's going make it easier for everyone against that defender as he is now mentally defeated. Can't see anyone playing tight man him. Toss the DB ike a rag doll and make the catch.

I'm projecting a lot here on a guy some people think is average Joe because he's a walk-on. Like Jack Nicholson says to Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie The Departed, "I look at and I think, what can I use you for?"
I was initially responding to a quote about Worsham not Johnson but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of Johnson, lots of bodies in the receiver room though, gonna be fierce competition for reps.

I agree we still need to get the alignment issues sorted out BUT just like we saw our vanilla offense..I think we saw our vanilla defense as well. No need in showing everything when the offense is just working with a "Kendall Briles" playbook. I saw what I needed to see...Great push up front from the DTs (Ford especially. He has to be ready to bring his A game against Bama), physical play on the back end, and TS being a lockdown #1 corner and the young guys getting some much needed reps... Dont look too much into it.
Agree on Ford, hope your right, but was hoping for a little more from the D

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back