Stock up, Stock down - 2021 Spring Game

OL and DB's looked much improved.
Garcia should be the STARTER! Don't give me that experience BS, he's the best and the best should start.
Keontra closed like a Miami LB. Flagg ok, but too slow to get wide. Chase Smith did flash and showed speed. Huff IDK? Gonna need Jim Wms to make an instant impact.
WR not enough impact speed IMO. Breshard Smith will have opportunity, especially if they do the right thing and play Garcia.
He’s not better than king yet the dude wasn’t allowed to be hit. Kaaya was all ACC when he wasn’t able to be hit it all changes when it goes live. Not doubting the kid but don’t crown him just yet

Advertisement
Ww
Would fat Gil Frierson benefit from moving to LB?

Would Smith and Frierson be the answer at LB?
Actually he’s the one I’d been talking up as the perfect candidate since last year. Use him as a lb this season. But they went with Keontra.
Would it be crazy to move them both?

Negatives:
-You lose all your returning experience at the striker position
-Both can’t start at LB
-Attrition with Brooks, TAC, etc

Positives:
-We are lodes at CB and Safety. Probably gonna be attrition there anyways, and I’d rather lose the LBs than the CBs and Safeties.
-The transition from CB/S to striker should be much easier than striker to LB.
-Carter, Chase Smith, maybe Harrell and maybe 1 more position change should get it done there.

I’m not a “position change poster,” but assuming no injuries:

TS has 1 CB slot locked up. Blades, Ivey, Couch, Dunson should be plenty to handle the opposite side.

Safety:

Bubba is a starter and shouldn’t come off the field except to get winded. I’m still a Hall guy (although he seems like a possible candidate for striker). If those are your guys, and you have Tae (who I am super high on), kitchens, balom and maybe JW competing all fall to back them up, I think we look fine there too.

LB was the glaring issue coming into last season, as I and many other posted. Depth is there in the secondary. Let’s get LB fixed. Idk, just makes sense to me.

Johnson really popped for me at WR. It's not that he needs to beat out other guys at his position. It's about matchups. He has such a unique size and twitch. When he caught one of his 5 passes and made a juke move, I said," OMG!!! He can't do that at his size!!! Who is this grown man?" He provides such a mismatch physically that he has to play. I see him bullying DBs and running away from LBs.

Looks like a TE, but plays like a WR. Don't change this kid to TE. He can line up in those postions to create mismatches though.

I hope the coaching staff realizes what they have. The fact that he got a lot of snaps tells me they do.

Last edited:
If you watched the game. They looked like the freshman.
I know people love gaynor but he needs to be second string. He
Can’t snap the ball consistently
And if he can't snap the ball what the **** good is he? Not gonna overpower anyone. This is an example of a guy penciled in that shouldn't be. Justice trying to build depth at T and create competition at guard, when his center snaps the ball like a female slow pitch softballer. Hey coach, start Rivers at G and have 53 compete with Gaynor at C. And move Campbell inside for quality depth at G.

And if he can't snap the ball what the **** good is he? Not gonna overpower anyone. This is an example of a guy penciled in that shouldn't be. Justice trying to build depth at T and create competition at guard, when his center snaps the ball like a female slow pitch softballer. Hey coach, start Rivers at G and have 53 compete with Gaynor at C. And move Campbell inside for quality depth at G.
Right. Look you want to make the argument that t rob can work
With ivy, that’s fine but Pope dee and gaynor are now in 2nd year under same
Coaches

Advertisement
And he just got over a couple surgeries if I’m not mistaken. I’d expect him to get more snaps beginning next year if he stays. I haven’t watched the spring game yet but I heard he made a few nice plays.
I just watched it, he made some good heavily contested catches

Advertisement
Ive got serious question for DE, DT is solid but no Miami level game changers, not sure how CB and LB get dramatically better and they need to to. There is promise but a lot of things have to fall into place for those units to be much better.
Our secondary will be a strength this year. Believe me, I’m still wary about LB, it’s definitely the position on defense that’s very open and not determined yet. If they can get a proven guy with a track record in the portal, they will. I do think we will be taking a slight step back at DE compared to the group of last year but they will get after the qb and there is talent in the room. DT does not concern me.

Im not saying we are going to win a Natty, we are not there yet but there’s an amount of depth and talent on this team and blue chip ratio(very important)... that 10 wins should be the standard now. It’s a disappointment otherwise.

Ww

Would it be crazy to move them both?

Negatives:
-You lose all your returning experience at the striker position
-Both can’t start at LB
-Attrition with Brooks, TAC, etc

Positives:
-We are lodes at CB and Safety. Probably gonna be attrition there anyways, and I’d rather lose the LBs than the CBs and Safeties.
-The transition from CB/S to striker should be much easier than striker to LB.
-Carter, Chase Smith, maybe Harrell and maybe 1 more position change should get it done there.

I’m not a “position change poster,” but assuming no injuries:

TS has 1 CB slot locked up. Blades, Ivey, Couch, Dunson should be plenty to handle the opposite side.

Safety:

Bubba is a starter and shouldn’t come off the field except to get winded. I’m still a Hall guy (although he seems like a possible candidate for striker). If those are your guys, and you have Tae (who I am super high on), kitchens, balom and maybe JW competing all fall to back them up, I think we look fine there too.

LB was the glaring issue coming into last season, as I and many other posted. Depth is there in the secondary. Let’s get LB fixed. Idk, just makes sense to me.
I understand what you are saying but I doubt they would move Gil too.

Pope and Wiggins should transfer. They each have this year as there last to make an impact on the college level and at Miami they shouldn’t see the field over the following

1. Rambo
2. Harley
3. Restrepo
4. Smith

With guys like Redding, Bronson, Breshard, and George coming next
Despite anything I posted yesterday, I don't want anyone to go. I know that some probably will, but I don't want to be part of pushing them out. We saw last year that we need bodies and especially in the Covid era, you might have to throw a true freshman or a walk-on into the game at a moment's notice. I'd rather have choices. I understand my posts on a fan board don't have any effect on a UM athlete, but if I put any negativity into the universe yesterday by naming players whom I want to transfer out, I'm trying to balance that out now.
That said, I still do want a linebacker to transfer in.

Advertisement
Told y’all don’t sleep on Washington, he’s a natural hitter who forces fumbles without trying ‼️
He is a guy who I see as a transfer candidate after this season with the emergence of Tae and KK...but that is how we will know we are getting there when we have talented players transferring out every year. Thats what you call "Bama level" talent on the roster. Bama has guys leaving left and right and they dont miss a beat.

Advertisement
I don’t think Daz would transfer, at least not this year if it were to happen. I came away impressed with him during the game and the size he’s put on since he’s arrived. Coming off surgeries too.
agree catches the ball smoothly :

Johnson really popped for me at WR. It's not that he needs to beat out other guys at his position. It's about matchups. He has such a unique size and twitch. When he caught one of his 5 passes and made a juke move, I said," OMG!!! He can't do that at his size!!! Who is this grown man?" He provides such a mismatch physically that he has to play. I see him bullying DBs and running away from LBs.

Looks like a TE, but plays like a WR. Don't change this kid to TE. He can line up in those postions to create mismatches though.

I hope the coaching staff realizes what they have. The fact that he got a lot of snaps tells me they do.
Agree, maybe he was playing against 2 & 3 teamers, but he looked smooth, and caught the ball easily

in watching the scrimmage, defensively I really didn't see much of a difference between Blake and Manny's defense: Gave up to many 3rd and longs, WR with free releases, gash on some counters, blitzes coming 10-15 yards of the ball, Alignment issues, then we go zones, we have WR's running right past them, and safeties tied up in the middle of the field. I think we need a real tactician on defense, like we have on offense. Lashlee basically with two freshmen QB's did whatever they wanted to do. I am no expert, very disappointed with the defense.

"Daz Worsham made some catches today against the second and third team defense - been a bit quiet from his end but nice to see production as he is still young. Has put on considerable weight since HS. Maybe not a contributor this year but definitely stock up."

About 20 pounds. Remember he had those HS surgeries and could not work out much.

Advertisement
Back