Stock Report: The Opening Finals 2019

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Opening Finals is essentially one big opportunity for top prospects all around the country to go up against players of a similar or greater talent level and prove themselves on a stage where the recruiting world is watching. Which young guns of interest to Miami stepped up and impressed and which fell behind? (Note: The 247Composite was used to determine where a player's stock was at present.)

Stock Up

OT Marcus Dumervil, #128 overall

Dumervil was quite simply dominant this weekend and made the Final 5, but just missed out on winning the OL MVP award. He played with outstanding balance, strength, and technique to handle the power rushers, while also showing the quickness and hand work to handle the speed guys. He’s certain to get a bump.

OT Issiah Walker, #148 overall

I’m already high on Walker, but even I was surprised at how well he performed. Going up against the best of the best DL’s in the nation, I expected him to struggle some with the power rushers, but Walker showed up about 20 pounds heavier than the last time I saw him and he was burying guys out there. That’s all in addition to his trademark athleticism at the tackle spot. Walker did not make the Final 5, but most of the media I talked to agreed he had an argument.

WR Michael Redding, #194 overall

Redding was the most impressive of the three Miami commitments and made highlight plays all three days. He flashed many times and stood out with multiple diving catches, demonstrating elite body control. He was particularly dangerous on crossing routes, and he really got a chance to show off his speed. He’s proved to have top notch ball skills to go along with his trademark hops and he deserves some love in rankings.

TE Theo Johnson, #242 overall

Johnson was probably the most impressive receiver I saw at the event in terms of pure production. Johnson was a reliable target all weekend when Team Pressure needed to make a play, and tore it up in the short game and the middle of the field. He’s a really precise route runner for a 6-6 245 pound target and had multiple touchdowns catches in the red zone. He was just a physical mismatch for most defenders out there. It’s an easy call to move him up the rankings considering where he’s at now.

Stock Down

DE Chantz Williams, #85 overall

I’m still high on him overall, but for how high he’s ranked, I personally think his performance this week will end up dropping him slightly in the rankings if I’m being honest. He flashed a few times, especially in his reps against Marcus Dumervil, who many felt was the best lineman there. Chantz used his speed and hands more effectively on those reps. However, he lost the majority of his reps, got manhandled a few times, and struggles if he doesn’t beat his man off the snap. He got locked up pretty good by UGA OT commit Tate Ratledge on three straight reps. Williams was getting frequently out-muscled, the strength is just not there yet with him. I also thought he wasn’t using his speed to his advantage enough and instead tried to go through a lot of guys with power rushes far too often.

Holding Steady

TE Darnell Washington, #11 overall

Washington is just an impressive athlete to watch and he’s simply a rare talent. He was running right by guys that played him too close, and he boxed out and bodied guys on jump balls that tried to give him space. Early on in the 7-on-7’s, Washington had been wide open a few times for Team Drip, but for whatever reason their QB was not really looking for him, but they quickly corrected that and featured Washington heavily from then on. He did enough to justify 5-star status.

RB Don Chaney, #28 overall

My general takeaway from Chaney’s week was that while he didn’t get many opportunities to shine, he made the most of his few chances. Team Guap’s offense was pretty clearly geared away from involving the RB’s and didn’t feature Chaney at all, but Chaney still had some of the most jaw-dropping highlights of the weekend, including in the cat and mouse drills of day 1. He proved he’s a 5-star talent in my opinion.

WR Mookie Cooper, #64 overall

I liked what I saw from him out there: cat-quick, devastating change of direction, and home run ability. At a rank like this already, though, he didn’t do enough to push for 5-star status or anything. He’s appropriately ranked.

RB Jaylan Knighton, #108 overall

He had a fast start on day 1 and made some moves in the cat and mouse drills, but went down soon after with an injury and didn’t play the rest of the week. I doubt he’s going to be faulted for that.

QB Tyler Van Dyke, #211 overall

It was a mixed bag for Van Dyke this week, as he had an above average day 1 followed by a mediocre day 2, then didn’t participate on day 3. I personally think he did enough on day 1 to balance out everything else, as he was throwing some balls into tight windows with great velocity in the 1-on-1’s. He wasn’t as good in the 7-on-7’s, but he wasn’t helped much by a receiving corps that had 3 drops and his interception was a last second hail mary heave from around midfield.

CB Kendall Dennis, #339 overall

I didn’t see a lot of him getting beat or anything, but I also didn’t really see him making a lot of plays. He had one notable pass break up that I saw, but I personally was expecting more of a breakout performance and a highlight reel of plays. For where he’s ranked, I doubt he falls.

Advertisement
Great stuff, Stefan. You've been money the whole week. And what a great week it's been to be Cane! Redding seems like a steal. Walker another one if we can land him.

Regarding Chantz, I have zero doubt our S&C and defensive coaches will develop Williams, just as I have zero doubt Enos will develop TVD into a Day 1 QB.

Interesting to read about Chantz. Curious to see some of what you saw and hear how much of it has to do with getting his weight up. His athletic numbers are there and he uses his hands ok on film for a young player. Surprised to read your review.

Chantz looks plenty strong to me for an edge rusher. I think it’s a technique thing with him. You aren’t going to overpower 300+ tackles unless you can get them off balance, convert speed to power and control their wrist and elbows.

I see Chantz as significantly stronger and more physical than Bogle and Donnell Harris.

Advertisement
The Opening Finals is essentially one big opportunity for top prospects all around the country to go up against players of a similar or greater talent level and prove themselves on a stage where the recruiting world is watching. Which young guns of interest to Miami stepped up and impressed and which fell behind? (Note: The 247Composite was used to determine where a player's stock was at present.)

Stock Up

OT Marcus Dumervil, #128 overall

Dumervil was quite simply dominant this weekend and made the Final 5, but just missed out on winning the OL MVP award. He played with outstanding balance, strength, and technique to handle the power rushers, while also showing the quickness and hand work to handle the speed guys. He’s certain to get a bump.

OT Issiah Walker, #148 overall

I’m already high on Walker, but even I was surprised at how well he performed. Going up against the best of the best DL’s in the nation, I expected him to struggle some with the power rushers, but Walker showed up about 20 pounds heavier than the last time I saw him and he was burying guys out there. That’s all in addition to his trademark athleticism at the tackle spot. Walker did not make the Final 5, but most of the media I talked to agreed he had an argument.

WR Michael Redding, #194 overall

Redding was the most impressive of the three Miami commitments and made highlight plays all three days. He flashed many times and stood out with multiple diving catches, demonstrating elite body control. He was particularly dangerous on crossing routes, and he really got a chance to show off his speed. He’s proved to have top notch ball skills to go along with his trademark hops and he deserves some love in rankings.

TE Theo Johnson, #242 overall

Johnson was probably the most impressive receiver I saw at the event in terms of pure production. Johnson was a reliable target all weekend when Team Pressure needed to make a play, and tore it up in the short game and the middle of the field. He’s a really precise route runner for a 6-6 245 pound target and had multiple touchdowns catches in the red zone. He was just a physical mismatch for most defenders out there. It’s an easy call to move him up the rankings considering where he’s at now.

Stock Down

Chantz Williams, #85 overall

I’m still high on him overall, but for how high he’s ranked, I personally think his performance this week will end up dropping him slightly in the rankings if I’m being honest. He flashed a few times, especially in his reps against Marcus Dumervil, who many felt was the best lineman there. Chantz used his speed and hands more effectively on those reps. However, he lost the majority of his reps, got manhandled a few times, and struggles if he doesn’t beat his man off the snap. He got locked up pretty good by UGA OT commit Tate Ratledge on three straight reps. Williams was getting frequently out-muscled, the strength is just not there yet with him. I also thought he wasn’t using his speed to his advantage enough and instead tried to go through a lot of guys with power rushes far too often.

Holding Steady

TE Darnell Washington, #11 overall

Washington is just an impressive athlete to watch and he’s simply a rare talent. He was running right by guys that played him too close, and he boxed out and bodied guys on jump balls that tried to give him space. Early on in the 7-on-7’s, Washington had been wide open a few times for Team Drip, but for whatever reason their QB was not really looking for him, but they quickly corrected that and featured Washington heavily from then on. He did enough to justify 5-star status.

RB Don Chaney, #28 overall

My general takeaway from Chaney’s week was that while he didn’t get many opportunities to shine, he made the most of his few chances. Team Guap’s offense was pretty clearly geared away from involving the RB’s and didn’t feature Chaney at all, but Chaney still had some of the most jaw-dropping highlights of the weekend, including in the cat and mouse drills of day 1. He proved he’s a 5-star talent in my opinion.

WR Mookie Cooper, #64 overall

I liked what I saw from him out there: cat-quick, devastating change of direction, and home run ability. At a rank like this already, though, he didn’t do enough to push for 5-star status or anything. He’s appropriately ranked.

RB Jaylan Knighton, #108 overall

He had a fast start on day 1 and made some moves in the cat and mouse drills, but went down soon after with an injury and didn’t play the rest of the week. I doubt he’s going to be faulted for that.

QB Tyler Van Dyke, #211 overall

It was a mixed bag for Van Dyke this week, as he had an above average day 1 followed by a mediocre day 2, then didn’t participate on day 3. I personally think he did enough on day 1 to balance out everything else, as he was throwing some balls into tight windows with great velocity in the 1-on-1’s. He wasn’t as good in the 7-on-7’s, but he wasn’t helped much by a receiving corps that had 3 drops and his interception was a last second hail mary heave from around midfield.

CB Kendall Dennis, #339 overall

I didn’t see a lot of him getting beat or anything, but I also didn’t really see him making a lot of plays. He had one notable pass break up that I saw, but I personally was expecting more of a breakout performance and a highlight reel of plays. For where he’s ranked, I doubt he falls.
OUTSTANDING Stefan! Thank you for the excellent updates and final review.

Williams has some reps out there where he showed functional stength, just got to get a bit more consistent with it but he will be fine. Elite athlete on the edge. We are talking about a 6’4 240 end running in the 4.5s right now. I was Looking at some of the win/loss stats in various interviews for prospects at the opening and many of them were hovering at winning only half of their reps that they took in 1 vs 1s. So in this event every prospect is going to have wins and losses regardless if they did very well or not. Him beating Dumervil quite a few times was noteworthy as he was the best lineman during the weekend overall.

Advertisement
Good right up. I've read a few other reviews and Chantz seems to be the wild card. Some are high on his performance and others shared your views.

Mookie sounds great. Too bad it doesn't seem as if the staff wants him.I get it though. He hasn't visited so the staff is going to move forward with guys that show the most interest.

Chantz looks plenty strong to me for an edge rusher. I think it’s a technique thing with him. You aren’t going to overpower 300+ tackles unless you can get them off balance, convert speed to power and control their wrist and elbows.

I see Chantz as significantly stronger and more physical than Bogle and Donnell Harris.
Now it's settled. You've officially listened to too much old school Mike Mayok and NFL network.

Advertisement

This, and I commented on this. He’s naturally gifted as a rusher, but he needs his techniques refined at the next level. I didn’t like his use of hands. When he used his speed, he looked much better, but when he tried to bull rush, it wasn’t quite a bull rush. It was a tweener move, which lets me know he was indecisive on how he was going to engage, and once he gave the opposing OL that 1/2 sec moment, it was curtains for his rep.

With college coaching, understanding angles, and having more of a decisive, definitive repertoire of moves, he’ll be a headache for opposing OL & QBs, imo. But, I do feel he will also take a hit in his rankings, maintaining a 4 star, but dropping out of the top 100.....barely.

Agree with you Stefan 100% on Chantz.

Issiah Walker is a NFL player in 4 years, we gotta win & land this kid, can't let an elite Norland OT leave home.

If Redding doesn't get a bump in ratings, it's beyond obvious why. He was one of the most impressive WR's out there from every clip posted & every writer covering the Opening.

I hope we keep pushing for Darnell Washington & continue to recruit Mookie, both would be huge pulls in this class.

Advertisement
Agree with you Stefan 100% on Chantz.

Issiah Walker is a NFL player in 4 years, we gotta win & land this kid, can't let an elite Norland OT leave home.

If Redding doesn't get a bump in ratings, it's beyond obvious why. He was one of the most impressive WR's out there from every clip posted & every writer covering the Opening.

I hope we keep pushing for Darnell Washington & continue to recruit Mookie, both would be huge pulls in this class.
Look like mookie about to commit to osu soon

Last edited:
Look like mookie about to commit to osu soon
D*man they're loading up. Although I think there's some bias, they were on the team that won the Finals, the apparent top 3 performers at WR @ The Opening are all committed to OSU.

Many thanks for all of the key observations and insights you provide @Stefan Adams. Boy having Mookie and/or Washington in this offensive class would be massive gets but I have a feeling they’ll be sporting other helmets come 2020. Do we move on to Johnson, the other TE?

Advertisement
Back