Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Did a quick search on car sales. The average price across all cars is down 5% due to 2023 inventory still on the lots in April. Some cars are taking over 4 months to sell from ship or factory to customer. Thus, Tesla’s $2k drop in price is less than other companies since their average sales price is over $40k

Advertisement
Say what? 3% in Europe and 0% in the USA isn't exactly killing it!

Tesla isn't going to drag down tech. QT, high rates, and other economic conditions including those in Japan and China could.

Tesla is likely dropping prices because they have a much leaner sales process than traditional auto companies. They sell directly to consumers vs selling to dealers who then sell to consumers. They are very likely a good leading indicator for what is likely going to happen across all car companies.

Meta- ad rev mostly
Alpha- mix of ad rev, cloud services, SAAS, etc
MSFT- SAAS, cloud services, ad rev, software sales, etc

Where exactly do those overlap with Tesla?
Expect car dealerships to disappear? I’ve heard that mentioned by a Tesla bull

The real upside for Tesla is multiple:
more mass-produced vehicles and sales- Semi, Roadster 2.0, Cyber Truck
Solar and battery products become required due to the lack of new power plants yet the increased need for electricity
Industrial battery back-ups for power regulation
Robotics
FSD/robo taxi
Let’s not forget. Every car company will be paying to use Tesla FSD.

Advertisement
As Spike said, very unlikely they disappear anytime soon. It would take car companies billions to remove them so don’t expect.

As for FSD for other companies, not likely as the cars are engineered to have the input for FSD that other companies don’t have now. I also see the upside in driverless cars over just FSD being provided to people that like to drive. I’m seeing Tesla replacing Uber and being able to replace some regional flights simply by having a massive network of FSD cars. Thus, why give that upside away for a license?

I also think a massive upside will be advancement in battery technology. Even if they are heavier but can last 1m miles and use easier to find minerals… this would move the needle against ICE and the power grid

Advertisement
Interesting
I also think a massive upside will be advancement in battery technology. Even if they are heavier but can last 1m miles and use easier to find minerals… this would move the needle against ICE and the power grid
Is there any battery technology out there that is promising.

Say what? 3% in Europe and 0% in the USA isn't exactly killing it!

Tesla isn't going to drag down tech. QT, high rates, and other economic conditions including those in Japan and China could.

Tesla is likely dropping prices because they have a much leaner sales process than traditional auto companies. They sell directly to consumers vs selling to dealers who then sell to consumers. They are very likely a good leading indicator for what is likely going to happen across all car companies.

Meta- ad rev mostly
Alpha- mix of ad rev, cloud services, SAAS, etc
MSFT- SAAS, cloud services, ad rev, software sales, etc

Where exactly do those overlap with Tesla?
China’s electric car companies are supported by the government.

China’s electric car companies are supported by the government.

That is all you have? Last I checked, our car companies are supported by our government. Tariffs against imports, tax credits for EV/ hybrids, corporate tax relief for U.S.-based manufacturing…

Headwinds for Chinese car companies: Geopolitical, Chinese demand isn't like the US/Europe with limited wealth passed on from governments to citizens thus lower consumer spending in China, shipping (yes these companies are 2-4 years out for getting enough ships to move volume to Europe and by that time governments could raise tariffs), limited support for allowing Chinese companies to build manufacturing in Europe/North America not to mention the Chinese government doesn't want to outsource manufacturing. China has a pretty bad rep for taking technology from others and not getting it 100% right (read good luck with FSD in Chinese cars). Lastly, see Tiktok's likely ban in the USA. The only way to get to FSD is data collection across almost every car being driven by humans. Let's see that happening in the USA by the Chinese.

Advertisement
That is all you have? Last I checked, our car companies are supported by our government. Tariffs against imports, tax credits for EV/ hybrids, corporate tax relief for U.S.-based manufacturing…

Headwinds for Chinese car companies: Geopolitical, Chinese demand isn't like the US/Europe with limited wealth passed on from governments to citizens thus lower consumer spending in China, shipping (yes these companies are 2-4 years out for getting enough ships to move volume to Europe and by that time governments could raise tariffs), limited support for allowing Chinese companies to build manufacturing in Europe/North America not to mention the Chinese government doesn't want to outsource manufacturing. China has a pretty bad rep for taking technology from others and not getting it 100% right (read good luck with FSD in Chinese cars). Lastly, see Tiktok's likely ban in the USA. The only way to get to FSD is data collection across almost every car being driven by humans. Let's see that happening in the USA by the Chinese.
There's a point where government supports like you mention cross a line and turn into the government suppressing the open market. Not that we're not headed there with EPA regulations, but not just there yet.

There's a point where government supports like you mention cross a line and turn into the government suppressing the open market. Not that we're not headed there with EPA regulations, but not just there yet.

In 15-20 years, I believe we will be done buying cars multiple cars that just sit in our driveways. My family has 4 cars currently and I'd have that down to 1 IF I knew I could Uber and have a car to my house when I wanted that would take me to where I wanted at under $.25/mile. The only reason to buy multiple would either be as investments or showing off.

Just think about the lost GDP currently with the number of cars that SIT for 23-24hrs a day compared to those same cars being available for everyone.

Why mention all of this? China will not have access to the data needed to pull off AI driverless cars in the majority of the developed world.

In 15-20 years, I believe we will be done buying cars multiple cars that just sit in our driveways. My family has 4 cars currently and I'd have that down to 1 IF I knew I could Uber and have a car to my house when I wanted that would take me to where I wanted at under $.25/mile. The only reason to buy multiple would either be as investments or showing off.

Just think about the lost GDP currently with the number of cars that SIT for 23-24hrs a day compared to those same cars being available for everyone.

Why mention all of this? China will not have access to the data needed to pull off AI driverless cars in the majority of the developed world.
This goes right back to the city/country divide. Uber is well and good for the city and dense suburbs, but not so much for people who live further out of town.

Advertisement
This goes right back to the city/country divide. Uber is well and good for the city and dense suburbs, but not so much for people who live further out of town.

They may never reach rural America but anything within 1hr of a city will get impacted. Since the majority of America is within 1hr of a city, it will have a MASSIVE impact on GDP and car companies.

I dont really follow Tesla, but since many on here do, this is from Reuters today

Elon Musk looks for a rabbit in his hat

Tesla reports Q1 results after the New York markets close this afternoon, and shortly after the numbers drop Elon Musk will be on the spot to explain how his electric car company will reboot after a calamitous start to the year.

Tesla is still by far the world’s most valuable automaker, with a market cap of $452 billion. However, Tesla shares are down 43% since Jan. 1 – underperforming major indexes and legacy metal benders such as General Motors.

The narrative on Tesla has taken a sour turn. Chinese EV makers are gaining share at Tesla’s expense in the world’s largest market, and show no signs of easing up on price cuts.

Tesla tried to raise prices earlier this year, but is cutting them again after reporting Q1 deliveries well below expectations.

Tesla has also slashed the price of its marquee software product: The Full Self Driving or FSD system that partially automates driving. The one-time Wow Feature is now another discounted deal sweetener. Very Detroit.

Tesla’s slow growth has forced it to do other legacy automaker things, such as announce mass job cuts.

Even so, Tesla’s board moved to restore a controverisal pay package for Musk that could be worth $56 billion. Look for United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain to talk about that a lot as he tries to convince Tesla workers to join the union.

Analysts who once sang the praises of Tesla’s software-defined vehicle technology now complain that the Model Y and Model 3 designs look old.

More importantly, investors are worried that Tesla has a technology growth company valuation but no engine for near-term growth – unless you believe that non-EV projects such as the Optimus humanoid robot could put the company back on the path to Musk’s target of 50% annualized growth.

Some Tesla shareholders apparently do – a question about Optimus is now at the top of the investor question list on Tesla’s IR website.

Musk’s decision to go “balls to the wall” on autonomous cars and sideline plans for a more affordable consumer EV has even stout Tesla bulls questioning his strategy.

Musk abruptly cancelled a planned visit to India this week, citing “very heavy” obligations at Tesla.

Whatever message Musk is honing for this evening’s call – which should be webcast here – it will be the most important talk he’s given since the company’s Model 3 “production ****” crisis in 2018.

As they say in the legacy media world, this is must-see TV.

Anyone else checking the reverse repo? Down to 400b which means it should be $0 by June/July. Yet another reason to expect FED action.

Again, not really ready for prime time. I have a free trial right now and I turned it off.
I'll get one of these shirts printed up and you can drive by and see if Tesla's smarter than Waymo.

Advertisement
Back