Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

For what possible reason? There are whole industries with just one or two players dominating the field and they're worried about two small airlines?
They tried to stop AA/US Airways then settled with AA having to give up gates. My guess is JB will have to give up gates in the Northeast and potentially FLL or other overlapping routes.

Advertisement
You can absolutely blame Powell/The Fed for not starting their rate hikes earlier, but as of the data today, he/they have no choice but to be "higher for longer".
I thought when Canada did first whole point hike we should have followed that lead. Quick painless death or a slow one.

I thought when Canada did first whole point hike we should have followed that lead. Quick painless death or a slow one.
The difference between Canada vs USA hikes is massive. Canada, UK, Australia, and Sweden (maybe a few more) use 3 year ARMs loans for housing. Thus, any hikes are a quick impact on millions of their citizens leading to some cooling in their markets. The US market is mostly 15-30 year fixed thus the impact on rate hikes will take a much longer time to cause changes in consumer behavior. IT will have a bigger impact on the commercial real estate and consumer credit side.

Anyone using private pre-ipo markets? I’m interested in SpaceX. It likely replaces cellular within 10 years.

Amazon/blue origin is the other potential telecom of the future.

Anyone using private pre-ipo markets? I’m interested in SpaceX. It likely replaces cellular within 10 years.

Amazon/blue origin is the other potential telecom of the future.
Never invested in IPOs and certainly not pre. Amazon is a good idea to scope in the meantime, though. A lot of forward thinking here. Thanks.

Advertisement
Never invested in IPOs and certainly not pre. Amazon is a good idea to scope in the meantime, though. A lot of forward thinking here. Thanks.

When the feds cracked down after the dot com bubble, they effectively made going public overly painful, and the pre-ipo industry was born. Essentially, the Feds, in their infinite wisdom, transferred a lot of the vig from retail investors buying shares at the IPO to wealthy individuals investing Pre IPO.

Thats a long way of saying that its higher risk, but pre-ipo funds can make you a lot of money.

Advertisement
General question - is there any reason that I should not have my emergency fund in 6 month government bonds at this point given the 5%+ annual interest rate?

General question - is there any reason that I should not have my emergency fund in 6 month government bonds at this point given the 5%+ annual interest rate?
The only thing is liquidity, but considering your other options either yield nothing or are subject to risk, I think now may be the best time in history to buy 6 month bonds b

The only thing is liquidity, but considering your other options either yield nothing or are subject to risk, I think now may be the best time in history to buy 6 month bonds b
Not sure I'd say history as every 6-12 month period before a recession is a good bond-buying time.

I'm still holding cash as the 5% return is likely to move to 10% in 1-2 months AND I may remain in cash if I find better opportunities (real estate, stocks, private companies).

Advertisement
Not sure I'd say history as every 6-12 month period before a recession is a good bond-buying time.

I'm still holding cash as the 5% return is likely to move to 10% in 1-2 months AND I may remain in cash if I find better opportunities (real estate, stocks, private companies).
If you move into 6 month bonds through a brokerage and it bumps up to 10%, could you in theory sell the bonds and re-buy?

If you move into 6 month bonds through a brokerage and it bumps up to 10%, could you in theory sell the bonds and re-buy?
Maybe others can answer this question as I'm 100% cash, private start-ups, and real estate at this point. Bonds aren't a bad investment but I haven't researched if I can legally hold bonds for my cash reserve for real estate.

Part of my focus on the emergency fund piece is this is not money that I would put in the market anyways, so the liquidity aspect is not too much of a factor. As is, it has been sitting in my bank's checking/savings accounts letting them collect interest on it instead of me.

Advertisement
Part of my focus on the emergency fund piece is this is not money that I would put in the market anyways, so the liquidity aspect is not too much of a factor. As is, it has been sitting in my bank's checking/savings accounts letting them collect interest on it instead of me.

Borrow from banks but have your cash in your brokerage account, even regular sweeps are approaching 4.5%

Volatility to remain high, from today's WSJ:

Mr. Powell opened the door to a larger, half-percentage-point interest-rate increase this month and said officials are likely to raise rates higher than they previously expected to battle inflation in a stronger economy. In making their next rate decision, Mr. Powell suggested officials would pay close attention to Friday’s government report on February hiring and next week’s report on inflation.

Where does your cash get a 5% return?

Advertisement
Back