Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

With multiple FOMC members talking about .5, I wouldn't be shocked to see it in March. At a minimum, we are looking at .5 over the next 3 months and a chance at .75-1 if CORE CPI remains near it's current rate. Stocks normally don't bottom until after a few rate decreases from the FED so we are still many months away from the bottom.

Dont think the Fed will be pausing any time soon, from Reuters (the EV tax credits are corporate welfare, which stoke heavy inflation):

Toyota’s Big Raise

Toyota has agreed to give its unionized workers in Japan their biggest raise in 20 years. Honda followed suit within hours, and other big Japanese employers are expected to do the same. Japanese employers face growing political and social pressure to raise stagnant wages as inflation runs hot.

It won’t be long before the Detroit automakers start talks with the United Auto Workers union to determine wages for the coming years. Those talks will set a benchmark for Toyota and others building vehicles in the United States.

Advertisement
Fed minutes:

"Participants concurred that the Federal Open Market Committee had made significant progress over the past year in moving toward a sufficiently restrictive stance of monetary policy," the minutes said.
"Even so, participants agreed that, while there were signs that the cumulative effect of the Committee's tightening of the stance of monetary policy had begun to moderate inflationary pressures, inflation remained well above the Committee's longer-run goal of 2% and the labor market remained very tight."
Discussions also reflected that most members favored the smaller 0.25% increase delivered during the latest policy decision but some in the group preferred raising rates by 50 basis points.

Cleveland Fed President Loretta Mester admitted in a speech last week she would have favored the more sizable hike but officials did not want to surprise the markets, which were pricing in 0.25%.
"The worst of inflation may be in the rear view but it remains well above the Fed’s target," Mike Loewengart, head of model portfolio construction at Morgan Stanley's Global Investment Office said in a note. "Bottom line is that many market headwinds aren’t going away and investors should expect volatility to stay as they parse over the impact rates being higher for longer will have."

Maybe this is why we held on today?

Last edited:
If we want disinflationary growth, then one of the only long-term solutions is a significant increase in energy production along with better technology. Technology can be disinflationary, including AI, but at the end of the day, it’s cheap energy that really helps get aggregate prices under control faster, especially for the developing world. Oil prices are increasing, natural gas prices have jumped to the point of causing major issues in developing countries (see Pakistan), nuclear was looked at as an evil solution thus limited new supply has been brought online, and alternatives are very costly compared to all of the others mentioned. The combination of high (public) debt, high FED funds rates (on debt), aging demographics, geopolitical tensions, and tight energy supplies are likely to result in inflation when demand suppression isn't used.

More waves of QE followed by QT which leads us to recessions or sell-offs followed by QE until we have better energy solutions and more advancements in technology.

Yes, inflation was higher in the last quarter, BUT the economic indicators are showing that the consumer is resilient and the economy is strong enough for a soft landing, figuring in 25 rate increases.
For the first time I heard Jamie Dimon talk about a soft landing and he was as bearish as they come.
I know I’m probably the only optimist on this board, but the economy is strong enough to price in smaller rate hikes and housing, food and energy are dropping for now.
Don‘t neg me bros…
kevin farley juggling GIF

Advertisement
NLY is down 50% from 2020..
be careful.

I've been following it for years. I started buying it after the crash in 2020. I trade it and also hold it when I get it low. I know this sounds crazy but I try to buy low and sell high. Even the shares I bought higher than its current price I am even or profitable on because of the coupon. Profitable while we've watched the S&P go from 4700 to 4000. Considering market conditions, the drop from ~$24 to $21 makes it attractive right now - IMHO.

Last edited:
Economic indicators:
Consumption and spending up = demand
personal income down.
not a good indicator, but could be temporary.
consumer sentiment up
5 year inflation stays at 2.9
yields up
gold, oil down
vix at 22
Fed speak coming.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been following it for years. I started buying it after the crash in 2000. I trade it and also hold it when I get it low. I know this sounds crazy but I try to buy low and sell high. Even the shares I bought higher than its current price I am even or profitable on because of the coupon. Profitable while we've watched the S&P go from 4700 to 4000. Considering market conditions, the drop from ~$24 to $21 makes it attractive right now - IMHO.

No disrespect intended, I know you are a smart guy, but NLY is a high risk, high beta stock, not appropriate for 99% of the porsters in this forum.

Also, I assume you are trading in a tax deferred account, otherwise its all ordinary income.

No disrespect intended, I know you are a smart guy, but NLY is a high risk, high beta stock, not appropriate for 99% of the porsters in this forum.

Also, I assume you are trading in a tax deferred account, otherwise its all ordinary income.

Disrespect never taken from you. Is NLY really high beta compared to most of the stocks people buy, though? Is it high beta compared to Tesla (down 50%), Netflix (down over 50%), Amazon (down 45%), even Disney which dropped almost 50% in under a year? Especially when NLY is spitting out, depending on what price you buy it at, say 15% annually in cash (my return is higher)? So in two years, whatever the stock price is, higher or lower, your returns are buttressed by 30% in DIVs which means if it dropped 30% in value, you'd still be even in a market where your growth stocks probably went to ****.

2nd part: tax-free situation on it for me. Complicated, but advantageous. Not comfortable saying more.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Disrespect never taken from you. Is NLY really high beta compared to most of the stocks people buy, though? Is it high beta compared to Tesla (down 50%), Netflix (down over 50%), Amazon (down 45%), even Disney which dropped almost 50% in under a year? Especially when NLY is spitting out, depending on what price you buy it at, say 15% annually in cash (my return is higher)? So in two years, whatever the stock price is, higher or lower, your returns are buttressed by 30% in DIVs which means if it dropped 30% in value, you'd still be even in a market where your growth stocks probably went to ****.

2nd part: tax-free situation on it for me. Complicated, but advantageous. Not comfortable saying more.
Just to let everyone know...I do dabble in higher dividend preferred stocks, which is like a bond and stock hybrid. When they come out they are at $25 par value. You can google "Preferred stock list-High Yield dividends"
I found these on NLY:
IssuerTickerCurrent PriceCouponCurrent YieldQuar Dividend (Rounded)Earliest Call Date***Dividend Payment Dates
Annaly Capital 6.50% Fix-to-Float PreferredNLY-G$24.856.50%6.54%$0.413/31/2023YLD 3,6,9,12
Annaly Capital Management 6.95% Fix-to-FloatNLY-F$25.356.95%6.85%$0.439/30/2022YLD 3,6,9,12
Annaly Capital Management 7.5%NLY-D#N/A7.50%#N/A$0.479/13/2017YLD 3,6,9,12
Annaly Capital 6.75% FTF PrefeNLY-I$24.476.75%6.90%$0.426/30/2024YLD 3,6,9,12
I usually look at whether it is a set rate or fix to float, the float is usually tied to the Libor. I will only buy Cumulative indicated with a Yes or No, meaning that dividends continue to accrue if they have been suspended, but they are not paid until the company decides to pay them after suspension. I also look for later call dates. These divys are paid before the regular stock divy and have low activity which means lower volatility.
Right now I'm holding Duke Energy- PA..
PS- there is always risk involved.

Last edited:
I really think the 6 and 12 month bonds are the way to go for anyone with uninvested money. Risk free guaranteed income yielding over 5%. I haven’t seen those kinds of numbers in decades. I imagine that when they mature there will be more risk free high yielding opportunities then as well.

In a shaky market, stock buybacks are increasingly popular -- and the target of political attacks.

Stock buybacks by companies in the S&P 500 are projected to top $1 trillion in 2023 for the first time in a calendar year, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices. Authorizations for repurchases are picking up pace: As of Feb. 17, they totaled more than $220 billion, a record for that point in the year, according to a Goldman Sachs analysis of S&P 500 and Russell 3000 companies.

One major fan of repurchases is billionaire Warren Buffett. While he rarely uses his annual letter to shareholders to lobby for policies that benefit him, he made an exception on Saturday, explains Heard on the Street columnist Spencer Jakab. “When you are told that all repurchases are harmful to shareholders or to the country, or particularly beneficial to CEOs, you are listening to either an economic illiterate or a silver-tongued demagogue (characters that are not mutually exclusive),” wrote Mr. Buffett.

Advertisement
I really think the 6 and 12 month bonds are the way to go for anyone with uninvested money. Risk free guaranteed income yielding over 5%. I haven’t seen those kinds of numbers in decades. I imagine that when they mature there will be more risk free high yielding opportunities then as well.
I do not disagree, but the best way to buy bonds are with laddering your bonds to mature at different dates. I would Go as far out as 10 years.

I do not disagree, but the best way to buy bonds are with laddering your bonds to mature at different dates. I would Go as far out as 10 years.

Good strategy but perhaps not for todays market, the fear right now is that inflation is accelerating again, and that the 10 year might match the 2, instead of vice versa.

todays economic indicators:
Home prices down
Richmond Fed Manufacturing down.

Advertisement
Back