Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

My worthless opinion would be for the Fed to hold off on rate cuts and sees where it goes. The Stock Market needs a break. Let supply and demand do what they do.

The Fed's only responsibilities are keeping inflation at bay and supposedly full employment. Since both are still running way hot, they have no choice but to continue raising. Nothing to do with the stock market.

Advertisement
More and more and more regulations

Isn’t this what California tried to pass and the people there got ****ed and said no? Now they are trying it federally?

Advertisement
Over It I Give Up GIF

Advertisement
Guys SPY puts all day. Buy on the spike, sell on the drop. Study for a range. Crazy concept, right? The good news is 99.999% of the time you are holding these for less than a session or two. Usually less. Often hours. This is what I've been doing on the options side for the last month while my long term holdings eat ****e. Notice my one really big mistake was a call lol (not the SQ - was a long dead trade, but I showed it for transparency, showed a peek at what the blacked out things were too so you see I wasn't parsing what options I showed). Range trade these bad boys. Doesn't have to be SPY either. Pick an index. I messed with XOM as well. You can do this. Just be conservative, get out quick, and don't bet what you can't lose. If you double your money, put your principal away and play with house money.

View attachment 211136
View attachment 211137
View attachment 211138

Suggest you add an options trading caveat....

Advertisement
Advertisement
@SpikeUM @Cryptical Envelopment and others. I was a little too young in my investing journey to remember 2008 or the dot com burst. But I guess my question is have other dips in the market and starts to recessions/bear markets felt this long winded and pronounced or were they a bit more sudden, kind of like the Covid flash crash? It almost felt like everyone has kind of been waiting for this to happen. I don't know about willing it. But this feels like the scene in Austin Powers where he is driving the truck in slow motion and the guy keeps yelling waiting for it to hit him.

Stop making sense,” the Talking Heads once sang. The stock market took it literally on Thursday with a massive rally following an inflation reading that everyone agreed was way too hot. So what gives?

There’s no dismissing September’s consumer price index. The CPI rose 0.4% in September, up from 0.1% in August, and above estimates for 0.2%. Core consumer prices, which don’t include food and energy, rose 0.6%, above forecasts for 0.4%, and unchanged from August. CPI rose 8.2% year over year, down a tick from 8.3%, but core CPI climbed 6.6%, from 6.3%. Other than car and apparel prices falling, there was little in the report that inflation was anywhere near tamed.

The immediate reaction was predictable. All three indexes, which had been up solidly ahead of the print, tumbled, with the Nasdaq Composite down more than 3%, while the S&P 500 fell as much as 2.4%, to 3491.58. The S&P 500, though, finished the day up 2.6%, while the Nasdaq rose 2.2%, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average is up 2.8%.

Newsletter Sign-up​

The Barron's Daily​

A morning briefing on what you need to know in the day ahead, including exclusive commentary from Barron's and MarketWatch writers.

SUBSCRIBE

It was a massive rally, and one that came out of nowhere. And it’s left market observers like yours truly wondering what the heck just happened. There wasn’t any new data, no headline-making speeches, no event that occurred just after the open to spur such a move. It literally came out of nowhere—and left us grasping for possible reasons. “Today’s market reversal was a head-scratcher,” writes Oanda’s Edward Moya. And he’s not wrong.

@SpikeUM @Cryptical Envelopment and others. I was a little too young in my investing journey to remember 2008 or the dot com burst. But I guess my question is have other dips in the market and starts to recessions/bear markets felt this long winded and pronounced or were they a bit more sudden, kind of like the Covid flash crash? It almost felt like everyone has kind of been waiting for this to happen. I don't know about willing it. But this feels like the scene in Austin Powers where he is driving the truck in slow motion and the guy keeps yelling waiting for it to hit him.

If the answer was that easy, we would all be super rich, but generally, these things take time. For example, the Great Recession was 2007-2009, and most of that was a bear market. I have been super bearish for a year, so I get it, but said another way, be patient.

Advertisement
Back