Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

i'm not buying much until inflation comes down and they stop raising rates. As of now i'll buy puts and thats about it.

Advertisement
Been shorting the market, but mostly cash. Looking to start buying back into the S&P at around 3300. My big concerns are Putin and our tone deaf president's policies.

What are your thoughts?

I would be careful with the short, we are due/overdue for a short covering rally. Cash is king right now, the problem/issue is when do you get back in. I have been super bearish for a year now, so that is a question I keep asking myself.

Best answer I can give for now is to keep with the textbook. Dont fight the Fed, stay conservative, and per the technicals, nibble now, start buying at 3300, and gorge at 3000.

When these pieces come out, it’s usually the time to buy. Maybe I’m stubborn…

Example.

During covid, these articles were more and more obvious.

Last edited:
When these pieces come out, it’s usually the time to buy. Maybe I’m stubborn…

Example.

During covid, these articles were more and more obvious.

Lets face it, we are all making educated guesses based on our experience, but what positive catalyst do you see that makes you bullish on the market?

Lets face it, we are all making educated guesses based on our experience, but what positive catalyst do you see that makes you bullish on the market?
Midterms. Republicans taking over the house/senate. The ridiculous spending/handouts might be over soon.

Advertisement
Midterms. Republicans taking over the house/senate. The ridiculous spending/handouts might be over soon.

While an R Congress is theoretically positive for the market, I doubt they will have the courage or the votes to freeze spending, much less cut it. And if they did, **** for brains in the WH would veto it.

NLY reverse split their stocks, but NOT the dividend yield. Now yields 3.8% instead of 14% for new buyers! Shares down 8.85% for the day.

23 basis point increase on the 10-year yield today. Things could get very ugly fast.

1664240858680.png

Advertisement
Which has actually kept inflation down, so as other countries raise their rates, and the $ goes back down......
What is your biggest bear market catalyst in play right now? And, is there any back burner catalyst that you think would turn the markets into a route, e.g. China/Taiwan.

What is your biggest bear market catalyst in play right now? And, is there any back burner catalyst that you think would turn the markets into a route, e.g. China/Taiwan.

Bluntly, I have been so bearish for so long that I keep thinking its time to buy, but even now, I still dont see any catalyst on the upside, UNTIL the Fed slows down or the market believes they will slow down.

Advertisement
According to Cramer, Lumber is back down to 2020 levels, but most other commodities are at 10% over 2020 prices. At least we are seeing price drops for goods and commodities. I guess this is the year I redo my flooring....lol
I don't agree it will take 5 years because we still have a relatively strong economy. And although the strong dollar hurts, we do get imports at a cheaper price.

Last edited:
We know that CPI is backward looking. We are starting to see commodity prices dropping. I just paid $3.25 per gallon gas. Prices in Home Despot and Lowes are going down, especially in building materials.
If Powell could take a pause or maybe make a small raise of 25 basis points and wait for another cycle of CPI, then we might get a bounce. Too many good stocks are way oversold. Powell waited too long to raise rates and now he's waiting too long to hold off a record breaking hikes.
He's never been right in a long time. Don't hate, but I would replace him with Janet Yellen.

Advertisement
We know that CPI is backward looking. We are starting to see commodity prices dropping. I just paid $3.25 per gallon gas. Prices in Home Despot and Lowes are going down, especially in building materials.
If Powell could take a pause or maybe make a small raise of 25 basis points and wait for another cycle of CPI, then we might get a bounce. Too many good stocks are way oversold. Powell waited too long to raise rates and now he's waiting too long to hold off a record breaking hikes.
He's never been right in a long time. Don't hate, but I would replace him with Janet Yellen.
SMH

She's too politically biased.

Advertisement
Back