Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

What Powell essentially said is, "dont bank on a Fed put". The markets are listening and so should you guys.

There are ZERO positives out there. In no particular order, you have a still overvalued market, the Fed raising short term rates AND doing QT, record deficits that are going to get worse with higher rates, a thoroughly economically incompetent administration (the worst since Carter), inflation at a 40 year high and possibly/probably headed higher, a war with no end is sight that is disrupting supply lines, China in a continual lock down, etc etc. I could keep going and going, but you get the point.

Give me a single positive.
Are you a "sell in May and go away" guy? It has served me pretty well over the years. This market seems like that sentiment on steroids right now.

Advertisement
Hey inflation and gas prices are the highest ever lets keep raising interest rates and choke the living **** 💩 out of the nation and keep telling them we’re building back better.

MIDTERMS KEEP SAYING MIDTERMS

Hey inflation and gas prices are the highest ever lets keep raising interest rates and choke the living **** 💩 out of the nation and keep telling them we’re building back better.

Democrats are poised to take a beating. Amazingly, Oregon's Republicans have a very good shot at flipping two seats.

Advertisement

Interest rates are going to keep going up. You can bank on it. As a matter of fact, now is the time to start paying down all variable rate loans instead of splurging on stuff.

Theme parks are packed. Airlines are packed. Highways are packed.

100? I promise you I am three more zeros+ on LPTX. I took a significant bite. I don't talk about things I don't put money into, I give you my word, for better or for worse :).
No the price action down last night in after hours. That big drop was for what looked like a 100 share order and that alone dropped the price. It went back up to the days closing price not long after. Very strange thing to see.

I hear that practically all the economist say leave the interest rate alone, if you want lower the rate and economy will increase and inflation will start to ease.
If nothing else leaves economy alone it will correct itself.

No let’s raise rates every couple months till no pulse dies and 401K empty and worse CRASH.

Leave economy alone

I hear that practically all the economist say leave the interest rate alone, if you want lower the rate and economy will increase and inflation will start to ease.

No let’s raise rates every couple months till no pulse dies and 401K empty and worse CRASH.

Leave economy alone

No disrespect, thats not how economics work, what you are essentially saying is if I increase the heat, the temperature will drop. Also, almost all economists have been criticizing the Fed for behind to way behind the curve in raising rates, thats part of the reason we have inflation now..

Advertisement
No disrespect, thats not how economics work, what you are essentially saying is if I increase the heat, the temperature will drop. Also, almost all economists have been criticizing the Fed for behind to way behind the curve in raising rates, thats part of the reason we have inflation now..
Well you got me there ,

Just thinking here , so raising rates is to slow down everyone from purchasing by making money expensive therefore inflation ease down do to low purchases.

Remember, I’m like millions of Americans who put trust in the nation’s economists to do what’s right.
So if I was thinking before all this in making a large purchase and now rates increasing us middle class says nope to expensive not now.

Is this what is in getting out of inflation means?

I just looked at my 401K and it lost thousands ?

One thing I do know very soon us middle class will only buy essentials and nothing else , then stores and companies will start laying us all off.

Your thoughts

There are already layoffs. My company is coming if it’s “best year” and an amazing quarter and we are facing layoffs. Excuse me, they calling it business unit hygiene. I’m probably ****ed.

Well you got me there ,

Just thinking here , so raising rates is to slow down everyone from purchasing by making money expensive therefore inflation ease down do to low purchases.

Remember, I’m like millions of Americans who put trust in the nation’s economists to do what’s right.
So if I was thinking before all this in making a large purchase and now rates increasing us middle class says nope to expensive not now.

One thing I do know very soon us middle class will only buy essentials and nothing else , then stores and companies will start laying us all off.

Your thoughts
You are only focusing on the stock market which, BTW, has experienced an improvement in price to earnings ratios as a result of borrowed money speculation rushing out of it while simultaneously having companies reporting record profits. Record profits in the face of higher interest rates, you say? Yes. Because of inflation.
Once again, if more people paid down debt rather than buying stuff that retains no value, inflation would take a major hit.

Well you got me there ,

Your thoughts

To clarify, I am speaking only on economics, not financial pain on individuals. The reason your 401k is going down is because of the fear of current and future inflation. Inflation simply means that demand exceeds supply, so prices go up, and its a huge enemy of most people. If we have $6 a gallon gasoline, as JPM is predicting, that hurts the vast majority of Americans. Elon Musk, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates couldnt give a ****.

Food, energy and shelter are the three biggest expenses of most individuals. Successive governments have generally effed this up, and the current administration is comprised of economic idiots. For example, the war on oil discourages oil firms from drilling, so you end up with tight oil supplies and possible shortages, which lead to inflation. Remember who is hurt the most from inflation?

Then the administration is pushing EV's, which are expensive, so the buyers are typically the wealthy. The government also hands out $7,500 tax credit, which again helps the wealthy, not the vast majority of Americans. Since there are shortages of the materials needed to make the batteries, EV prices have gone way up, which is inflationary. Who gets hurt the most from inflation?

Hope that helps.

Advertisement
What Powell essentially said is, "dont bank on a Fed put". The markets are listening and so should you guys.

There are ZERO positives out there. In no particular order, you have a still overvalued market, the Fed raising short term rates AND doing QT, record deficits that are going to get worse with higher rates, a thoroughly economically incompetent administration (the worst since Carter), inflation at a 40 year high and possibly/probably headed higher, a war with no end is sight that is disrupting supply lines, China in a continual lock down, etc etc. I could keep going and going, but you get the point.

Give me a single positive.
Were the best house in a bad neighborhood

There are already layoffs. My company is coming if it’s “best year” and an amazing quarter and we are facing layoffs. Excuse me, they calling it business unit hygiene. I’m probably ****ed.

Tech companies and those that benefited from the pandemic will have layoffs, probably large ones. The problem is we need doctors, nurses, engineers, accountants, plumbers, electricians, etc.

Advertisement

Leave economy alone
Interest rates NEED to increase. This is the way we take money OUT of circulation and increase the value of money IN circulation thus reducing the inflation rate. I could be wrong on this, but the multiple stimulus packages during COVID caused large amounts of money to be printed from nowhere. Everyone got free money from those checks diluting the supply. We are now seeing the second and third order effects in the form of high inflation.
This isnt my area of expertise yet, so if I'm wrong someone call me a doofus and help me out.

Well you got me there ,

Your thoughts
This is a great simplistic explanation of the economy and its cycles. First step in understanding how to stay ahead of macro trends/cycles and tune out the wall street talking heads and politicians blaming eachother. Ray Dalio is brilliant guy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back