Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Read back a few pages. Yes. Somewhere between 3400/3500 this market will fall back to 2600. Apple will see 325 and amazon 2200. I’ll buy at 2600, but it could see 2300 again too. Make it coming and going. 🤫 You do you. I’m only responsible for my money.
That was 7/12/20 who says you can’t time the markets 🤔
Still time to buy the sqqq 🤷‍♂️ that’s a 60% return from here approximately

Last edited:
Advertisement
Had a buy limit at 4.50, maybe tomorrow

If I say BUY BUY BUY like I am having a coronary, its because I like the price right then right now. Not that I am implying you should do as a I do, just communicating that I love that price right there and its a no-brainer IMHO (key part). I think I am 4/4 on those here including BRPHF which we bought yesterday and are currently up 14% on even after today's bloodbath. But I hope you get filled at $4.50 because I will be buying right along side you!

Advertisement
Lol im not sweating the VFF hold but im not adding. Picking a little at silver and platinum today.

I am! Also, this came out from Beacon after ACB screwed the pooch:

Beacon MD on ACB results + implications for VFF

A couple of things to consider on ACB’s (ACB-T; NR) results. Note that the company has still not posted its results to SEDAR after which we can do a deeper dive.

Medical Cannabis:

Q4 revenue was $32.2 million. Its rev/gram for its medical segment was $8.12 in Q3. Similar pricing therefore would imply sales of ~4,000 KGs.

Reported gross margin of the segment is 67%, which would imply that its cost/gram is $2.57

At this point, its medical business is supporting its consumer side through the higher pricing, which is hiding its high cost production

Recall that ACB did not build this segment from scratch but rather bought MedReleaf in June 2018 for $2.5 billion and Cannimed in Jan 2018 for $1.1 billion.

Based on the Q4 medical segment revenue, those valuations still represent ~30x annualized sales.

Longer term, we continue to believe that such inflated rev/gram prices are unsustainable

Canadian Consumer Cannabis:

Q4 revenue was $35.3 million. Total cannabis KGS sold was 16,748. Given ~4,000 KGs sold in medical market, this implies consumer sales of 12,746 KGs

Rev/gram would therefore be $2.77. We note that Q3 rev/gram was $4.33 and that the company noted that Q4 rev/gram was 30% lower, which would imply ~$3.00/gram

Reported gross margin was 35%, which would imply cost/gram was ~$2.00.

Note that we do not believe the company when it says that its cost/gram is $0.85 as the reported numbers cannot get you there.

Furthermore, it is clear that the company includes trim in its cost calculation, which lowers reported costs/gram (note that it wrote off $135 million of trim inventory). PSF/VFF (Buy, $35 TP) does not include trim in its cost calculations

With 62% of its segment revenue from Daily Special, it is clear the “value” segment is the one that is and will continue to drive volumes.

We believe those retail prices will continue to drop. Given ACB’s cost/gram at $2+, as retail prices drop, its gross margin will evaporate and its losses will accelerate

The company is trying to pivot to “higher end” products – a segment that does not exist.

Conclusion:

As prices continue to fall in retail and will likely fall in medical/international, ACB’s losses will likely rise, not fall, putting further pressure on its balance sheet

As ACB’s stock hits multi-year lows, it is dragging down the entire Cdn segment.

However, these results are POSITIVE for PSF/VFF as its business plan is playing out exactly as forecast

ACB’s loss of share will be PSF’s gain.

The Cdn cannabis market is real with annualized revenue of ~$3 billion in July , +15% versus June

Someone will win and that someone has to be low cost producer.

ACB will not be that someone. VFF/PSF will be. “

Doug Cooper
Managing Director, Research
Beacon Securities Ltd

I am! Also, this came out from Beacon after ACB screwed the pooch:

Beacon MD on ACB results + implications for VFF

A couple of things to consider on ACB’s (ACB-T; NR) results. Note that the company has still not posted its results to SEDAR after which we can do a deeper dive.

Medical Cannabis:

Q4 revenue was $32.2 million. Its rev/gram for its medical segment was $8.12 in Q3. Similar pricing therefore would imply sales of ~4,000 KGs.

Reported gross margin of the segment is 67%, which would imply that its cost/gram is $2.57

At this point, its medical business is supporting its consumer side through the higher pricing, which is hiding its high cost production

Recall that ACB did not build this segment from scratch but rather bought MedReleaf in June 2018 for $2.5 billion and Cannimed in Jan 2018 for $1.1 billion.

Based on the Q4 medical segment revenue, those valuations still represent ~30x annualized sales.

Longer term, we continue to believe that such inflated rev/gram prices are unsustainable

Canadian Consumer Cannabis:

Q4 revenue was $35.3 million. Total cannabis KGS sold was 16,748. Given ~4,000 KGs sold in medical market, this implies consumer sales of 12,746 KGs

Rev/gram would therefore be $2.77. We note that Q3 rev/gram was $4.33 and that the company noted that Q4 rev/gram was 30% lower, which would imply ~$3.00/gram

Reported gross margin was 35%, which would imply cost/gram was ~$2.00.

Note that we do not believe the company when it says that its cost/gram is $0.85 as the reported numbers cannot get you there.

Furthermore, it is clear that the company includes trim in its cost calculation, which lowers reported costs/gram (note that it wrote off $135 million of trim inventory). PSF/VFF (Buy, $35 TP) does not include trim in its cost calculations

With 62% of its segment revenue from Daily Special, it is clear the “value” segment is the one that is and will continue to drive volumes.

We believe those retail prices will continue to drop. Given ACB’s cost/gram at $2+, as retail prices drop, its gross margin will evaporate and its losses will accelerate

The company is trying to pivot to “higher end” products – a segment that does not exist.

Conclusion:

As prices continue to fall in retail and will likely fall in medical/international, ACB’s losses will likely rise, not fall, putting further pressure on its balance sheet

As ACB’s stock hits multi-year lows, it is dragging down the entire Cdn segment.

However, these results are POSITIVE for PSF/VFF as its business plan is playing out exactly as forecast

ACB’s loss of share will be PSF’s gain.

The Cdn cannabis market is real with annualized revenue of ~$3 billion in July , +15% versus June

Someone will win and that someone has to be low cost producer.

ACB will not be that someone. VFF/PSF will be. “

Doug Cooper
Managing Director, Research
Beacon Securities Ltd
Im just overweight on VFF its really my only reasoning for not adding

Advertisement
Was hoping to get some input from everyone. I have some money that I transferred to an account. To be honest, I just do not have the time to do the day to day stuff or keep on top of specific stocks, and was planning on picking 4-5 ETFs for the long haul. Would you wait at this point for the market to correct down a bit or would you just go in now? It seems like we are overdue for some form of a correction. I know there is a thought of just invest asap, but it logically does not make sense to me for the uncertainty of this long growth cycle and the election coming up.

Was hoping to get some input from everyone. I have some money that I transferred to an account. To be honest, I just do not have the time to do the day to day stuff or keep on top of specific stocks, and was planning on picking 4-5 ETFs for the long haul. Would you wait at this point for the market to correct down a bit or would you just go in now? It seems like we are overdue for some form of a correction. I know there is a thought of just invest asap, but it logically does not make sense to me for the uncertainty of this long growth cycle and the election coming up.

How much risk can you stomach? What are your goals?

Moderate risk, long term growth, low maintenance. Was leaning towards the ETFs for the built in diversification. I appreciate any suggestions or advice!

Moderate risk, long term growth, low maintenance. Was leaning towards the ETFs for the built in diversification. I appreciate any suggestions or advice!
ETFs and MFs both have built in diversification, ETF's are more of a lower cost option as they track more indexes/funds/less managerial work by the investment managers. MFs are more expensive in general but if you find a good fund manager they can more than make up for it. 70% of actively managed funds don't outperform their indexes & 30% do. If you can find the 30% its worth your while, but indexing is the on average safer pick with just about 0 maintenance.

Advertisement
If you truly want extremely low maintenance & don't want to mess with anything I would lean towards using target date funds. You might pay a little more in expense, but it pretty much takes all of the management decisions off your table and it self manages based on the target date you select. The target date is based on your retirement year and the closer you get to the date the more conservative it allocates the portfolio.

Well, you can make a ton of money down to 2600. But I'll tell you why I think were heading up.

Trillions in money on the sidelines that is earning .0025, ready to come back in; Fed stimulous never been this accomodating and signaled they will stay this way; US tech far and away the innovators in the world and all our corporations reap the benefits; and I think corona subsides and or we get pharmacological relief.

The one wildcard is who Biden picks as running mate. That could throw a wrench into the equation.
Just buy Coca-Cola, keep buying it and never sell it. Dividends and consistency 🤔 it’s that easy.

My baby gives me the finance blues,
Tax me to the limit of my revenues.
Here she comes finger-poppin', clickety-click
She says furs or diamonds, you take your pick.
She wants money, what she wants...

How about, since you insist, put 50% into funds and save 50% for good individual stocks/options? Or even 75/25? There are a few good ideas on this board here and there. A few people have put forth some nice picks.

I am not invested in either of these but two funds that I think are smart, and have solid management, are FTCS and FLLV.

If you are going index like @LyndenCane22 alluded to, you can check out USMV too.

Advertisement
If you truly want extremely low maintenance & don't want to mess with anything I would lean towards using target date funds. You might pay a little more in expense, but it pretty much takes all of the management decisions off your table and it self manages based on the target date you select. The target date is based on your retirement year and the closer you get to the date the more conservative it allocates the portfolio.
Thank you for the two suggestions! I am good with some maintenance, maybe once a month or quarter. I think the ETFs sound like the way to go, and was leaning that way before. The biggest question I have is on timing, and whether to put part in now (and which sectors’ ETFs if so) or hold off a bit.

My baby gives me the finance blues,
Tax me to the limit of my revenues.
Here she comes finger-poppin', clickety-click
She says furs or diamonds, you take your pick.
She wants money, what she wants...

How about, since you insist, put 50% into funds and save 50% for good individual stocks/options? Or even 75/25? There are a few good ideas on this board here and there. A few people have put forth some nice picks.

I am not invested in either of these but two funds that I think are smart, and have solid management, are FTCS and FLLV.

If you are going index like @LyndenCane22 alluded to, you can check out USMV too.
Strong lyrical reference! Appreciate the advice as well.

I would agree with FTCS(FT is one of my fav new fund managers, we use it in a lot of our models) & swap FLLV for FLQL. A little cheaper and if you are looking for long term growth would shy away from the lower volatility aspect, it's virtually the same ETF. If you want to go down the stocks/options route I think you have to be honest with yourself and only do it if you are willing to put in the time and knowledge to learn and do your own due diligence. If you aren't I would stay out of it because you more than likely will only cost yourself more.

If you truly want to index I would lean towards finding a vanguard fund, historically solid returns, with minimal cost. Indexing is their bread and butter and they are good at it.

Thank you for the two suggestions! I am good with some maintenance, maybe once a month or quarter. I think the ETFs sound like the way to go, and was leaning that way before. The biggest question I have is on timing, and whether to put part in now (and which sectors’ ETFs if so) or hold off a bit.
If you are looking to own ETF's that are more equity heavy over fixed income now isn't a bad time, market has pulled back quite a bit this month. As far as sector's I mean you can find any etf to pretty much suite your need. Ex. If you wanted to find an ETF that focused on 5G and the tech associated: https://www.ftportfolios.com/Broker/Etf/EtfSummary.aspx?Ticker=NXTG

Happy to help you find other examples if you have any other sectors you like/interested in.

Advertisement
Back