Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Why did or would you choose Oct, verses say, Dec?

If AAPL goes below 102 on Oct 1, are you forced to buy then or on Oct 30?

And if the price goes to 101.99, are you always buying at 102?

Why would you choose to buy before the expiration?

So, if you spent 4,100 on the options and the price didn't go below 102 before Oct 30, you are basically getting your money back, the net is 0.
But if the price goes below 102, you have to pay 97,900.

It seems like this strategy is to ensure you don't over pay for a stock, but you miss out on the stock because it doesn't go low enough.

I don't understand the highlighted part at all. I thought you wanted the stock to go down. And where does the 4.10 profit come from?

Sorry for so many questions.

1. You can choose any exp date you prefer. I picked Oct for my example, I own plenty of longer term options. The farther they are out, the more valuable they are. There is time value and money value (price) and that's part of the strategy.

2. You are not forced to do ANYTHING until the expiration date. Of course the value of the option will change based on market value along the way. What can be interesting is when an option that you sold moves toward the strike price and becomes more valuable (which is bad for you since you are short) which shows up as if you are getting crushed in your account, but then the clock strikes midnight and it falls short and drops to zero. You should track some options that are near the strike prices as practice to learn more. Wild swings.

3. Yes, you will always buy at $102 (which means a real cost of $97.90 because you were already paid the premium). So if AAPL goes to $90 on the expiration date, you are buying at $102, $12 above market value. Which sucks, but you were going to buy it at $107! So it actually mitigates your loss.

4. (Why would you choose to buy before the expiration?). I don 't understand the question.

5. You didn't SPEND $4100 on the options, you were PAID $4100 to write the options! You sold them (short)! So if the price doesn't go below $102, the options that you SOLD for $4100 expire worthless, and you walk away with your $4100. That's sort of my game. Run these over and over and when they do drop, that's how I accumulate common shares as good prices. And along the way I am banking the premiums.

6. Yes, you will miss out on the stock if it doesn't go low enough to force you to buy. But you are banking premiums along the way that you can apply to the real cost when you do have one hit. In other words, lets say I bank $10 of premiums over three put sales, and then I finally buy AAPL at a good price... whatever price I paid, I have a true net cost of $10 less.

7. Stock goes up, I keep 100% of the premium and walk away. Stock goes down, and I buy a stock I really like at the strike price, MINUS the premium, which is a lot lower than the stock was priced at when I started this trade. It's win/win. How you can lose money is if you end up buying the common of a ****** stock that goes down forever, just like if you just went out and bought regular stock today. You want to do this with companies you like, and of course, there have to be what you think are well priced options there for your needs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1. You can choose any exp date you prefer. I picked Oct for my example, I own plenty of longer term options. The farther they are out, the more valuable they are. There is time value and money value (price) and that's part of the strategy.

2. You are not forced to do ANYTHING until the expiration date. Of course the value of the option will change based on market value along the way. What can be interesting is when an option that you sold moves toward the strike price and becomes more valuable (which is bad for you since you are short) which shows up as if you are getting crushed in your account, but then the clock strikes midnight and it falls short and drops to zero. You should track some options that are near the strike prices as practice to learn more. Wild swings.

3. Yes, you will always buy at $102 (which means a real cost of $97.90 because you were already paid the premium). So if AAPL goes to $90 on the expiration date, you are buying at $102, $12 above market value. Which sucks, but you were going to buy it at $107! So it actually mitigates your loss.

4. (Why would you choose to buy before the expiration?). I don 't understand the question.

5. You didn't SPEND $4100 on the options, you were PAID $4100 to write the options! You sold them (short)! So if the price doesn't go below $102, the options that you SOLD for $4100 expire worthless, and you walk away with your $4100. That's sort of my game. Run these over and over and when they do drop, that's how I accumulate common shares as good prices. And along the way I am banking the premiums.

6. Yes, you will miss out on the stock if it doesn't go low enough to force you to buy. But you are banking premiums along the way that you can apply to the real cost when you do have one hit. In other words, lets say I bank $10 of premiums over three put sales, and then I finally buy AAPL at a good price... whatever price I paid, I have a true net cost of $10 less.

7. Stock goes up, I keep 100% of the premium and walk away. Stock goes down, and I buy a stock I really like at the strike price, MINUS the premium, which is a lot lower than the stock was priced at when I started this trade. It's win/win. How can you lose money, if you end up buying the common of a ****** stock that goes down forever, just like if you just went out and bought regular stock today. You want to do this will companies you like, and of course, there have to be what you think are well prices options there for your needs.
And you need a margin account.. no?

And you need a margin account.. no?

Absolutely. Or a **** ton of cash in the account. You have to have enough buying power to buy the stock if you need to.

Let me also clarify, buying the stock at a great price is the fall back. The primary objective here is to bank premiums for nothing. Money for nothing and the chicks for free.

Battery Day is tomorrow for Tesla. I got a list of all the info they’re expected to announce tomorrow (all kinds of breakthroughs including the million mile battery).

Advertisement
I’ll be watching. He did come out with a tweet. Sent EV down. Battery production not ready til 22. I’m looking at workhorse also. May get the post office contract. 8 billion $$ it’s not even a 1 billion dollar company.

7. Stock goes up, I keep 100% of the premium and walk away. Stock goes down, and I buy a stock I really like at the strike price, MINUS the premium, which is a lot lower than the stock was priced at when I started this trade. It's win/win. How can you lose money, if you end up buying the common of a ****** stock that goes down forever, just like if you just went out and bought regular stock today. You want to do this will companies you like, and of course, there have to be what you think are well prices options there for your needs.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, i appreciate it. And as you said I need to watch some of those options that are nearing expiration. Is there a good site to do that?

Thoughts on VFF?

Advertisement
Elon will break the internet today with "Battery Day!"

Here is why!

Here are the new battery details:
-Top Secret Road Runner Project disclosed-
1. Batteries will now be manufactured using Dry cell technology
2. Batteries will now have tabless electrodes
3. Batteries will no longer utilize Cobalt (Nickel and Manganese will be employed instead)
4. Battery cells will be much larger than the the current battery. (The exact dimensions of the new cells are 300x54mm.)

All of these advancements mean:
1. Much much (much) cheaper to manufacture (around $65/KWh vs current cost of about $120/KWh)
2. Much shorter time to build (1/10th the time to manufacture these new battery cells)
3. Million Mile Battery - Four-times the life of existing Lithium Ion cells
4. 600+ mile range (almost double the existing energy density of exisitng LI technology)
5. Faster charging capability (about 30% faster charging!!)

BIG SPOILER:
If you've bought a long range Model Y or Model S in the last 30 days, then you already have the new battery - and a software update tomorrow afternoon will unlock the additional range that you don't even know you have.

There will be many other revolutiary Tesla/EV Market announcements tomorrow, but that's the BIG one regarding the battery.

Project Palladium will also be disclosed:
The PLAID model announcement will be a big deal for us that are GO FAST types.

The new Plaid model S will be fast! How fast?
0-60: 2.2 Seconds
1/4: 8.98 @ 141 MPH

Remember folks, Tesla is NOT a car Company! They are an energy company, a software company, an AI development company, a battery company and lastly they are a car company.

If you invest in any other emergy or EV company other than Tesla now, or for the foreseeable future, then you just don't like money.

Prediction: TSLA will be trading at (or above) $1500 by 5/15/21.

Last edited:

Here is why!

3. Batteries will no longer utilize Cobalt (Nickel and Manganese will be employed instead)
4. Battery cells will be much larger than the the current battery. (The exact dimensions of the new cells are 300x54mm.)

1. Much much (much) cheaper to manufacture (around $65/KWh vs current cost of about $120/KWh)
2. Much shorter time to build (1/10th the time to manufacture these new battery cells)
4. 600+ mile range (almost double the existing energy density of exisitng LI technology)

BIG SPOILER:
If you've bought a long range Model Y or Model S in the last 30 days, then you already have the new battery - and a software update tomorrow afternoon will unlock the additional range that you don't even know you have.

There will be many other revolutiary Tesla/EV Market announcements tomorrow, but that's the BIG one regarding the battery.

Remember folks, Tesla is NOT a car Company! They are an energy company, a software company, an AI development company, a battery company and lastly they are a car company.

If you invest in any other emergy or EV company other than Tesla now, or for the foreseeable future, then you just don't like money.

You forgot ride sharing company... They will put Uber and Lift out of business within 5 years....

Here is why!

BIG SPOILER:

Cathy Wood fan? ARK investment?

Advertisement

Here is why!

BIG SPOILER:

Most importantly is Elon Musk. A true visionary that meets the road. Remember the quotes: "Spacex will be a disaster", "TSLA won't succeed against Big Auto", "Revolutionizing the battery is at least 10 years off."

Advertisement

Here is why!

BIG SPOILER:

$395 in after hours. The street sold the news, bro. :confused:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back