Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

GF and myself are Huge Cruisers as well...Mostly Eastern and Western Caribbean...I lived in St Thomas for 4yrs as a Child (61-64) Father had a Restaurant in Charlotte Amalie, overlooking Mehgans Bay....Always Special going back...
Been there many times. Once you get into cruising it's like an alternate universe.

Advertisement
Biggest hoax ever.

I just keep dropping these nuggets all over this site:

NY has 19 million people and 20000 COVID deaths
Florida has 20 million people and 1200 deaths

Sounds like CuHomo is padding the numbers for those federal dollaz.

AND, little CNN Cuomo is on TV sounds like David Koresh: "Imagine what you would lose going back to work. Look at all that you have gained"..

bro...
So why don’t you go volunteer for a Covid injection and give a play by play of this Hoax!

Advertisement
I realize my approach is frustrating to the whole, “diversify your portfolio” crowd, but I bought a ton of Apple stock a long time ago and have sat on it to the tune of 250k+ in earnings so I’m more than happy. Ya know, it’s funny to me whenever I hear Trump trying to scare people by implying that the market will tank if Biden is elected. One of the biggest myths told by Republicans is that the market d I oes better when they’re leading the country, which is just not true. In fact, Obama and Clinton presided over two of the best stock markets in the history of this country.

I realize my approach is frustrating to the whole, “diversify your portfolio” crowd, but I bought a ton of Apple stock a long time ago and have sat on it to the tune of 250k+ in earnings so I’m more than happy. Ya know, it’s funny to me whenever I hear Trump trying to scare people by implying that the market will tank if Biden is elected. One of the biggest myths told by Republicans is that the market d I oes better when they’re leading the country, which is just not true. In fact, Obama and Clinton presided over two of the best stock markets in the history of this country.
Well its true. Clinton, Obama and a distant 3rd Reagan.

Advertisement
If you needed to 3x a $500 investment on 1 stock by 2021, which stock would it be?

If you needed to 3x a $500 investment on 1 stock by 2021, which stock would it be?
That's a lot to ask and you are going to need to tolerate a lot of risk. But MYOS if it goes under $1 again for sure. Just look at the chart and you will see that it goes crazy on almost any news. It's basically in the hands of the shorts and those who squeeze them. It's a game. I bought at .77 and sold at 2.76 or so and am biding my time waiting to get back in. I have some posts on it here.

BRPHF, HVBTF and GBTC are possibilities as they are crypto plays. I am up about 50-60% each on the first two (don't own GBTC).

CYCN, LPTX, and CFMS are possibilities as well worth exploring. I think they could blow up but I don't have price targets in mind with them.

VFF is a possibility, but a triple from $5.55 in a year might be asking a lot unless a foreign market opens up for them. But its a real company with real earnings and excellent management.

An idea might be to buy VFF call options for 2022. If you can get the JAN 21 '22 $8 calls for around $1.30 you might be able to triple your investment and more. You'd probably only need VFF to go up to $11 to triple. Of course if your options expire OOTM you lose it all:).

Last edited:
Anyone have any stocks they like for a 3-5 year buy and hold time horizon?

I'm thinking Boeing and Disney are excellent long-term buys.

Separately, anyone have any short-term thoughts on General Electric? I think it might be a good time to buy GE now.
The stocks you listed are good. I wouldn’t limit to just three names though. In 5 years there will likely be an improved landscape for energy, Banks and online retail.

That's a lot to ask and you are going to need to tolerate a lot of risk. But MYOS if it goes under $1 again for sure. Just look at the chart and you will see that it goes crazy on almost any news. It's basically in the hands of the shorts and those who squeeze them. It's a game. I bought at .77 and sold at 2.76 or so and am biding my time waiting to get back in. I have some posts on it here.

BRPHF, HVBTF and GBTC are possibilities as they are crypto plays. I am up about 50-60% each on the first two (don't own GBTC).

CYCN, LPTX, and CFMS are possibilities as well worth exploring. I think they could blow up but I don't have price targets in mind with them.

VFF is a possibility, but a triple from $5.55 in a year might be asking a lot unless a foreign market opens up for them. But its a real company with real earnings and excellent management.

An idea might be to buy VFF call options for 2022. If you can get the JAN 21 '22 $8 calls for around $1.30 you might be able to triple your investment and more. You'd probably only need VFF to go up to $11 to triple. Of course if your options expire OOTM you lose it all:).

Thanks! Totally aware that’s a lot to ask. But I’m willing to take a risk on something and see how it goes.

Advertisement
y

you like your cyrptos huh?

What is going on with VFF today? I nearly bought some yesterday at $5.88 but it quickly rose close to $6 so I passed. Now down to $5.57.

Advertisement

I had a similar realization in early July after TSLA went crazy bananas. I'm up about 45% YTD on my trading account, diversified across multiple sectors. Normally, I'd be pretty ecstatic with that sort of unrealized ROI. But, had I simply put $25K into TSLA on 1/31, it would be worth over $63K today.

y

you like your cyrptos huh?
I do. A lot of money to be made trading them, and there is a well regarded thesis that they are just getting started. A lot of institutional money is flowing into them these days. I'm not an all in nut or anything but I think you'd be crazy to not have any exposure at all.

Take a look at the crypto plays I mentioned above. Both up over 12% today 🔥

But mostly hold coins.

Last edited:
What is going on with VFF today? I nearly bought some yesterday at $5.88 but it quickly rose close to $6 so I passed. Now down to $5.57.

Nothing is going on. More people are selling today than buying. Profit taking after the earnings and call. Look at a 6 month chart, that's not unusual. Any time it goes down 10% buy the dips. I'd LOVE it to go down to $4. Can't get spooked. If you are price sensitive and risk adverse you can sell puts to try to get a lower price, but you will limit your upside if it never gets down that low.

You could sell the DEC '20 $5 puts for .85 right now. If it closes below $5 it will trigger a $5 purchase by you (which actually means you are buying at $4.15 because you pocketed the premium). If its above $5 (I think it will be) in DEC you get to walk with the premium.

If you are looking to own it, sell the DEC '20 $6 puts right now for $1.50 - same deal. $4.50 net acquisition cost if its under $6.

I had a similar realization in early July after TSLA went crazy bananas. I'm up about 45% YTD on my trading account, diversified across multiple sectors. Normally, I'd be pretty ecstatic with that sort of unrealized ROI. But, had I simply put $25K into TSLA on 1/31, it would be worth over $63K today.
Not too late to get in. Piper has a price target of $2,300. Although I don't own it, I admire Musk and agree with others that he is the "Steve Jobs" of the auto and space industries.

From a macro point of view: Market cap 3 times value of GM and Ford combined, manufactures in China now - huge market (cult like status among the populous as well as leadership);manufacturing/designing their own batteries now, which Musk claims will be a huge game changer.

Advertisement
Back