Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
Stock trades have been commission-free at TD for at least a few months.

I had opened an account for my son a couple of years ago and put some money in a couple of etfs. Was charged a fee for one of the trades.

They've only been commission-free for a few months.

One of the discount brokerages started it and the rest followed suit.

I had opened an account for my son a couple of years ago and put some money in a couple of etfs. Was charged a fee for one of the trades.

I think I’m going back into cash tomorrow. 100% I’ll make it back when it retests the lows. If you look back, I called 2300. It’s time to fly again. 🦅 💵

Advertisement
What will you be selling?
Everything and going into cash. I’d rather pay the capital gains, than ride it down. I’m happy with my year if it ends right here. I’m confident I’ll have a great opportunity to buy lower later in the year.

Everything and going into cash. I’d rather pay the capital gains, than ride it down. I’m happy with my year if it ends right here. I’m confident I’ll have a great opportunity to buy lower later in the year.

I can agree with you.. I've sold lots.... Just dropped my REIT... which was a 10% divi..Iv'e had over 15 years..

Are you dropping safe plays like an Amazon or Microsoft, NVIDIA? or more speculative players?

I can agree with you.. I've sold lots.... Just dropped my REIT... which was a 10% divi..Iv'e had over 15 years..

Are you dropping safe plays like an Amazon or Microsoft, NVIDIA? or more speculative players?
Absolutely. I love my amazon, but it’s done it’s job. I’m having a good year. I’d like to keep it that way. I will buy it back and gold BAR & GDL later this year. I don’t think either will hold up in the short term. I can’t see the S&P pushing last 3100. I’m not willing to call the top. Again, I’m happy and it’s time to take my gains.

Advertisement
Do not let me discourage you from just throwing a bit of money into a trading account and learning a few lessons along the way. TBH that's how i did it and that's how i developed the passion. Just don't get in over your head before heeding advice below.

This is an essential read imo.
Amazon product ASIN 0060555661
This is a long listen. You don't need to watch it. Good car material. Very important to stay mentally disciplined in trading.

www.tradingview.com Great site for charting. I would recommend for a beginner to follow a few pros on there and read/watch their strategies. Helps the learning process.

* As you begin try to narrow down your research to a few sectors that interest you. Research the F out of those sectors. You can organize watchlist on tradingview and the tradingview app.

* Robinhood is a good entry level investing app that's easy to use but doesn't offer nearly as much information as the bigger desks like TD Ameritrade. Both have free trades. There's a small fee for withdrawals i believe.

* CNBC is the industry leader in financial news. Stream audio as much as you can and start absorbing knowledge.

* Seek out contrarian views, make sure you've run several scenarios through your head and have a plan to act on each one. Be wary of herd investing on "news". There's a saying in trading it's buy the rumor, sell the news. There's a lot of bull**** tip websites out there just trying to herd people into stocks. Motley Fool is a good example.

* Learn the charting basics. How to identify support and resistance, basic patterns and candles, how to identify trends, moving averages, RSI, MACD. When you feel comfortable with the basics you can move onto learning chart indicators like Fibonacci, Ichimoku, Bollinger Bands etc. And most importantly WHEN TO ENTER AND EXIT the trade.

* You're going to lose a lot. If you lose 60% of the time but have a 4 to 1 risk reward ratio you're still going to come out ahead.

* I separate my day/swing trading account from my long term investing account and i feed a portion of my day trading profit downstream into my long term investments.

* You can be a day trader, swing trader, long term investor. No matter what type you are It is important to always keep an eye on the macro view of economy and the sectors you're investing in. Know what's coming down the road 1-5 years. ESPECIALLY WITH TECH.

The three most important things.

DIVERSIFY

DO NOT INVEST MORE THAN YOU'RE WILLING TO LOSE.

RISK MANAGEMENT.

Edit. HIDE IT FROM YOUR WIFE. Lol.

Appreciate all of the info man. It just feels irresponsible to not be investing at a time like this lol only thing I’ve put money into so far was a company called Crestwood (CEQP). Put about $500 in when it was down around $4 bucks and it’s floating between $9-$12 right now so that’s been good so far. I’m using Robinhood and there’s not much info on the app to use for research. Really looking forward to trying to learn more about everything stock market related. It’s addicting already and I have barely dipped a toe in. I’ll definitely look into that book and will absolutely watch that video!
Thanks again brotha!

Appreciate all of the info man. It just feels irresponsible to not be investing at a time like this lol only thing I’ve put money into so far was a company called Crestwood (CEQP). Put about $500 in when it was down around $4 bucks and it’s floating between $9-$12 right now so that’s been good so far. I’m using Robinhood and there’s not much info on the app to use for research. Really looking forward to trying to learn more about everything stock market related. It’s addicting already and I have barely dipped a toe in. I’ll definitely look into that book and will absolutely watch that video!
Thanks again brotha!

Funny. I have that book sitting on my night stand... My next read as soon as my pool opens...

Thanks again brotha!

No problem man another thing i would recommend to learn quickly in this current environment is learn how to set stop losses relative to your risk reward/ratio.

I don't follow energy too closely and this is not trading advice just an observation. CEQP from a quick glance is tethered quite closely to the price of wti crude oil (they both started dropping within 72 hours of eachother on feb 21-24). Being a storage and logistics provider of oil it's going to react to large price swings in oil. I'm sure you read about last month ridiculous negative prices in oil due to overcapacity. The situation hasn't changed much. The last collapse in oil happened right before futures for that month expired. We're approaching the next futures contract expiration on 5-19. A lot of analyst have predicted another large dip in oil leading up to 5-19. The shale industry as a whole is under extreme pressure from global oversupply.

Gratz on making a nice return on the bounce. Good trade.

since this pandemic has occurred in the midst of flu season, flu cases have reportedly dropped. You wonder why? Have people all of a sudden stop getting the flu?

It has also been reported that if Covid fatalities occurs in individuals with other illnesses that may have also contributed to the fatality it counts as a Covid fatality. Hospice patients dying of cancer that may get Covid and get counted as a Covid death.

The numbers are being skewed so can’t rely on them for any kind of modeling projections. Those projections from the beginning have been demonstrably flawed.

COVID has magically cured CVDs, CVA, MIs, cancer, cancer screenings, and climate change.

Heard COVID killed Hoffa.

#word

Advertisement
Would love to hear some thoughts on Budweiser... I sold out at 95$ a while ago.. It has been dropping for 2 years straight.. 5% divi now.... 39$ and I know people are still drinking beer... This isn't virus related

No problem man another thing i would recommend to learn quickly in this current environment is learn how to set stop losses relative to your risk reward/ratio.

I don't follow energy too closely and this is not trading advice just an observation. CEQP from a quick glance is tethered quite closely to the price of wti crude oil (they both started dropping within 72 hours of eachother on feb 21-24). Being a storage and logistics provider of oil it's going to react to large price swings in oil. I'm sure you read about last month ridiculous negative prices in oil due to overcapacity. The situation hasn't changed much. The last collapse in oil happened right before futures for that month expired. We're approaching the next futures contract expiration on 5-19. A lot of analyst have predicted another large dip in oil leading up to 5-19. The shale industry as a whole is under extreme pressure from global oversupply.

Gratz on making a nice return on the bounce. Good trade.

Only reason I hopped into Crestwood is because they are a major supplier for the company I work for. I’m in the propane business so it’s the only sector I have any real level of advanced knowledge in. I’ll have to do some more looking into the futures contract expiration. Thanks for the tip!

Advertisement
Would love to hear some thoughts on Budweiser... I sold out at 95$ a while ago.. It has been dropping for 2 years straight.. 5% divi now.... 39$ and I know people are still drinking beer... This isn't virus related
Makes good sense to me. I think i'll have one now and look at the dividend play tomorrow.

Nvidia has earnings next week. Seen a few chipmakers run up recently heading into earnings than sell off. AMD being the recent example. Ran up to 58-59ish than sold off to 49 within a few days. I scalped 4% on a bounce from the high 49's.

I almost always beat the stock indices annually.

I'm a long-term stock investor; I don't trade in-and-out or for a quick gain.

But for every flavor of investing there are those who have been very successful with it.

For all the folks on here who trade options, individual stocks, etc...

Is your long term PRR better than SP 500?

Advertisement
Back