Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
My issue with investing, and hopefully someone can assist with this, is that I don’t know what to look for to determine if it seems like a good investment. I don’t know what tools to use or what sites to use to research and that kind of stuff.

I don't think BA is going anywhere but it will be a while before it returns to $300+. I think DAL is the better buy but I am holding off on buying until things look better.

Well I can't think of a flu season that caused the deaths of 76,000 people in this country IN 3 MONTHS. Maybe I am wrong, but go ahead a research that for me and let me know.

since this pandemic has occurred in the midst of flu season, flu cases have reportedly dropped. You wonder why? Have people all of a sudden stop getting the flu?

It has also been reported that if Covid fatalities occurs in individuals with other illnesses that may have also contributed to the fatality it counts as a Covid fatality. Hospice patients dying of cancer that may get Covid and get counted as a Covid death.

The numbers are being skewed so can’t rely on them for any kind of modeling projections. Those projections from the beginning have been demonstrably flawed.

Advertisement
since this pandemic has occurred in the midst of flu season, flu cases have reportedly dropped. You wonder why? Have people all of a sudden stop getting the flu?

It has also been reported that if Covid fatalities occurs in individuals with other illnesses that may have also contributed to the fatality it counts as a Covid fatality. Hospice patients dying of cancer that may get Covid and get counted as a Covid death.

The numbers are being skewed so can’t rely on them for any kind of modeling projections. Those projections from the beginning have been demonstrably flawed.

Buddy of mine had a sister in law who died of a heart attack when she got a massive panic attack, she also had corona

In that instance how do you think they report the cause of death?

I don't think BA is going anywhere but it will be a while before it returns to $300+. I think DAL is the better buy but I am holding off on buying until things look better.

Cant remember who it was but on cnbc this morning they said DAL is 7k pilots overstaffed at the moment. I think these airlines are going to bleed for quite awhile longer.

Buddy of mine had a sister in law who died of a heart attack when she got a massive panic attack, she also had corona

In that instance how do you think they report the cause of death?

sorry to hear that about your buddy, but yes that would be an example. Of course, w/o death certificate can’t say for sure. But I did hear one mayor during a presser saying they were counting some hospice cancer patients as a covid death when they had only days/weeks to live from cancer. So it’s happening. Just can’t say to what extent but makes the numbers suspect.

My issue with investing, and hopefully someone can assist with this, is that I don’t know what to look for to determine if it seems like a good investment. I don’t know what tools to use or what sites to use to research and that kind of stuff.

no expert here, but investing right now will be a wild ride. But if you have money to spare and have a relatively long window to be patient most stocks are cheap right now due to sell off. Rule of thumb stick to a blue chip company that’s been around (eg like Disney) and pays a dividend. They got hit hard but you know they will still be around and there will be so much pent up demand when this clears that people will want an escape for entertainment. They are international and are starting to open up a bit. Plus they have movie streaming that’s been pretty successful so will at least have a sustainable bottom while they recover but pretty good bet they will. This is just one example. And yes I put some money where my mouth is on this.

Advertisement
Depends on if you have an interest in investing in individual stocks.

If you don't, stock index investing - in the safer ones, like the S&P 500 and NASDAQ - will give you about the same return as the indices.

For individual stock investing, of course you'd eventually come up with your own style of investing.

You'd want to educate yourself about the stock markets and ways of valuing companies.

Generally, I can offer a few things that I look for when investing in individual stocks:

1. Is it in an area that's growing? If not, does it have a specific advantage over others in its industrial sector that'll allow it to grow faster than them?

2. Is it founder led? If not, are the leaders strong ones?

Don't ever invest in a company without strong leadership.

Those are the ones protecting and (hopefully) growing your investment.

3. Does the founder have a lot of money at stake? If not I would question what's driving this person to do a bang-up job.

4. I stay away from capital-intensive businesses and industries. More risk compared to other industries.

Examples of these for me would be airlines, chemicals, mining, automobiles, semi-conductors, etc.

These companies often also have oodles of debt.

5. I prefer companies with plenty of cash and little debt - but not always. It depends on the specific company.

If you're brand spanking new to stock investing, you may want to focus more on companies that produce a lot of cash.

6. I usually invest in companies with fast growth - revenue growth and earnings growth (if I can get it) - but I'll take only revenue growth for awhile as long as it looks like it'll eventually have the earnings growth (and cash flow growth) to boot.

7. As for the size (market capitalization), I invest in all sizes, but the ones that can become huge winners will have small market caps when you first invest in them.

8. Companies that have recently (or somewhat recently) gone public.

These are often (but not always) smaller market cap companies.

This has changed a bit recently with companies like Uber (last year) and airbnb (whenever it goes public) being already at a large cap size and with A LOT of the bigger gains already off the table.

And Facebook back in 2014, I think it was, also was already at a fairly large size when it ultimately went public.

But again, if you're just starting out, you'll want some larger, quality companies (but still with growth) to protect your portfolio a bit.

These are enough ideas for now. There are plenty of others, but start out SLOWLY and build up your portfolio.

Also don't go after high dividend companies just for the dividend. If it goes down 10% a year for a handful of years in a row, that dividend doesn't look so juicy anymore.

Cant remember who it was but on cnbc this morning they said DAL is 7k pilots overstaffed at the moment. I think these airlines are going to bleed for quite awhile longer.
Yes, and good chance one of them goes bankrupt. For those rushing to buy airline and cruise line stocks keep in mind shareholders (even in re-org) most likely get shafted.

IBD (Investors Business Daily). They sort stocks by leaders in their field, performance, etc. You have to put in the time though.

Unless you're passionate about investing and financial markets than imo you shouldnt be an "active" investor. It takes a lot of research work to keep up. There are plenty of avenues for passive investing for the average joe.

If you have a little money you want to just dip your toe into trading with its easy to setup a td ameritrade account or robinhood. No fees for trades.

Advertisement
Unless you're passionate about investing and financial markets than imo you shouldnt be an "active" investor. It takes a lot of research work to keep up. There are plenty of avenues for passive investing for the average joe.

If you have a little money you want to just dip your toe into trading with its easy to setup a td ameritrade account or robinhood. No fees for trades.
That’s the thing, I’m hoping that once I learn about the things I need to look for, I’ll become passionate about it. I just don’t even know where to look or what info I should be looking for to get myself into a position where I’m comfortable dealing with things on my own.

Depends on if you have an interest in investing in individual stocks.

If you don't, stock index investing - in the safer ones, like the S&P 500 and NASDAQ - will give you about the same return as the indices.

For individual stock investing, of course you'd eventually come up with your own style of investing.

You'd want to educate yourself about the stock markets and ways of valuing companies.

Generally, I can offer a few things that I look for when investing in individual stocks:

1. Is it in an area that's growing? If not, does it have a specific advantage over others in its industrial sector that'll allow it to grow faster than them?

2. Is it founder led? If not, are the leaders strong ones?

Don't ever invest in a company without strong leadership.

Those are the ones protecting and (hopefully) growing your investment.

3. Does the founder have a lot of money at stake? If not I would question what's driving this person to do a bang-up job.

4. I stay away from capital-intensive businesses and industries. More risk compared to other industries.

Examples of these for me would be airlines, chemicals, mining, automobiles, semi-conductors, etc.

These companies often also have oodles of debt.

5. I prefer companies with plenty of cash and little debt - but not always. It depends on the specific company.

If you're brand spanking new to stock investing, you may want to focus more on companies that produce a lot of cash.

6. I usually invest in companies with fast growth - revenue growth and earnings growth (if I can get it) - but I'll take only revenue growth for awhile as long as it looks like it'll eventually have the earnings growth (and cash flow growth) to boot.

7. As for the size (market capitalization), I invest in all sizes, but the ones that can become huge winners will have small market caps when you first invest in them.

8. Companies that have recently (or somewhat recently) gone public.

These are often (but not always) smaller market cap companies.

This has changed a bit recently with companies like Uber (last year) and airbnb (whenever it goes public) being already at a large cap size and with A LOT of the bigger gains already off the table.

And Facebook back in 2014, I think it was, also was already at a fairly large size when it ultimately went public.

But again, if you're just starting out, you'll want some larger, quality companies (but still with growth) to protect your portfolio a bit.

These are enough ideas for now. There are plenty of others, but start out SLOWLY and build up your portfolio.

Also don't go after high dividend companies just for the dividend. If it goes down 10% a year for a handful of years in a row, that dividend doesn't look so juicy anymore.
Pumped to read this when I get off of work! Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. I’m sure it’s going to be great info!

IBD (Investors Business Daily). They sort stocks by leaders in their field, performance, etc. You have to put in the time though.
Definitely don’t mind putting in the time, just hoping to have a finger pointed in the right direction to get me started. Apps decorate the suggestion brotha!

Advertisement
That’s the thing, I’m hoping that once I learn about the things I need to look for, I’ll become passionate about it. I just don’t even know where to look or what info I should be looking for to get myself into a position where I’m comfortable dealing with things on my own.

Do not let me discourage you from just throwing a bit of money into a trading account and learning a few lessons along the way. TBH that's how i did it and that's how i developed the passion. Just don't get in over your head before heeding advice below.

This is an essential read imo.
Amazon product ASIN 0060555661
This is a long listen. You don't need to watch it. Good car material. Very important to stay mentally disciplined in trading.

www.tradingview.com Great site for charting. I would recommend for a beginner to follow a few pros on there and read/watch their strategies. Helps the learning process.

* As you begin try to narrow down your research to a few sectors that interest you. Research the F out of those sectors. You can organize watchlist on tradingview and the tradingview app.

* Robinhood is a good entry level investing app that's easy to use but doesn't offer nearly as much information as the bigger desks like TD Ameritrade. Both have free trades. There's a small fee for withdrawals i believe.

* CNBC is the industry leader in financial news. Stream audio as much as you can and start absorbing knowledge.

* Seek out contrarian views, make sure you've run several scenarios through your head and have a plan to act on each one. Be wary of herd investing on "news". There's a saying in trading it's buy the rumor, sell the news. There's a lot of bull**** tip websites out there just trying to herd people into stocks. Motley Fool is a good example.

* Learn the charting basics. How to identify support and resistance, basic patterns and candles, how to identify trends, moving averages, RSI, MACD. When you feel comfortable with the basics you can move onto learning chart indicators like Fibonacci, Ichimoku, Bollinger Bands etc. And most importantly WHEN TO ENTER AND EXIT the trade.

* You're going to lose a lot. If you lose 60% of the time but have a 4 to 1 risk reward ratio you're still going to come out ahead.

* I separate my day/swing trading account from my long term investing account and i feed a portion of my day trading profit downstream into my long term investments.

* You can be a day trader, swing trader, long term investor. No matter what type you are It is important to always keep an eye on the macro view of economy and the sectors you're investing in. Know what's coming down the road 1-5 years. ESPECIALLY WITH TECH.

The three most important things.

DIVERSIFY

DO NOT INVEST MORE THAN YOU'RE WILLING TO LOSE.

RISK MANAGEMENT.

Edit. HIDE IT FROM YOUR WIFE. Lol.

Last edited:

Passion can actually be a detriment. Emotions often lead to more frequent trading when, in reality, a well diversified portfolio does better with less frequent trading. All the data out there will not predict the future. Really, the best time to invest is right now, and continue to invest in a weekly basis. Focus on diversification. If you own a stock of one sector, invest in a different sector next week.

I believe TD Ameritrade charges fees for trading stocks outside of their own basket of preferred stocks.

Advertisement
Back